closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quite a special incoming

Does look pretty special, and virtually (almost) eliminates the cut out numerals of some models that would otherwise be perfect imo.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Keep coming back to have a look at this one.

What size is this? (Only see the movement specs in the OP).

An ultra thin is next on my agenda. I am looking for an ultra thin JLC moon phase at the min but I think I should skip that and work towards something like this.....eyeing an ultra thin Saxonia maybe towards the end of next year.

No where in Ireland to try before you buy sadly. 40mm Saxonia probably wears huge I suspect....but 37 seems small...

Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    Keep coming back to have a look at this one.

What size is this? (Only see the movement specs in the OP).

An ultra thin is next on my agenda. I am looking for an ultra thin JLC moon phase at the min but I think I should skip that and work towards something like this.....eyeing an ultra thin Saxonia maybe towards the end of next year.

No where in Ireland to try before you buy sadly. 40mm Saxonia probably wears huge I suspect....but 37 seems small...
    Sorry, didn’t see this. It’s 39mm and wears absolutely beautifully.

I'm glad you posted the reply, as I seem to have missed this thread originally. Great write up, I've learned a lot about Lange reading through that. Well done Tony!

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    I'm glad you posted the reply, as I seem to have missed this thread originally. Great write up, I've learned a lot about Lange reading through that. Well done Tony!
    Oh, good, and thank you!

Anyone else able to add some shots of ALS watches in forum ownership?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Anyone else able to add some shots of ALS watches in forum ownership?
    I have to wait.....until you sell yours....

ALS on my list for this year. No AD in Ireland sadly. Chap I bought my VC from has 233.032 that I could twist his arm on I think and I like the watch but now my preference.

Hope WF are forced to slash their prices on their ALS stock in 6 months time. Some of the grey deals have some good looking deals on new stock e.g guardians of time in london.

No longer in ownership, but one of them still in my possession as the handover has been delayed indefinetly by the virus:

This one formerly ownwed, now for sale at Watchfinder:

Master
    Not a great photo but still have this one which gets an outing every so often!

IMG_3371 (002) by Matt G, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    No longer in ownership, but one of them still in my possession as the handover has been delayed indefinetly by the virus:

This one formerly ownwed, now for sale at Watchfinder:

Gosh those are beautiful. I usually find complications difficult but the balance of legibility and information is sublime especially on that second ALS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    That is one stunning watch

I had the pleasure of attending a tour of the manufacture and it is amazing how much effort and love is put into every piece be it perpetual datograph or saxonia thin, with the soft prices in grey market you can get tremendous amount of horology and hand finishing for your penny.

Craftsman
    Yes indeed, very special and stunning

Here’s mine...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Snap!

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Here’s mine...

Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    Snap!

Lovely!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Well, I’ve had a couple of incomings over the past month or so, but given that I spend my weekdays up in Newcastle right now I’ve not really had a chance to take any photographs of them until this weekend. in fact, I hadn’t unpacked my lights for the best part of a year as it’s such a palaver, but I decided it was worth the effort. So, to the first of them…

A Lange & Söhne 1815 Up/Down Special Edition

A Lange & Söhne was originally founded by Ferdinand Adolph Lange in Glashutte, Germany in 1845. However, the original ALS (along with the other Glashutte-based watch houses) was nationalised and ceased to exist in 1948, following the occupation by the Soviet Union after World War II. In fact, it wasn’t until 1990 that the current A. Lange & Söhne trademark was re-registered, when Lange Uhren GmbH was founded by Walter Lange, the great-grandson of Ferdinand Adolph Lange.

The number 1815 is a significant date in the history of ALS, as its the year Ferdinand was born in Dresden; now, the number represents a family of watches that pays a tribute to that legacy. The range consists of models with complications such as the chronograph, annual calendar, tourbillon, and perpetual calendar. However, the 1815's all take their DNA from pocket watches (for which ALS was known prior to its nationalisation) by using traditional elements like railway minute track, Arabic numerals and club-shaped markers on the 15-minute intervals. The company has always had a history of innovation, and in fact a particular Patent – no. 9349 – was granted to ALS on 18 May 1879. The subject was a “device in pocket watches for recognising whether the watch is wound or unwound and for indicating how much time remains before it reaches the totally unwound state.” This was, in fact, the official moment that ALS’s characteristic UP/DOWN power-reserve indicator was born.

Looking at this watch (and in addition to the UP/DOWN power-reserve indicator) the blued hands, the recessed central segment, the Arabic numerals and the railway-track minute scale were all inspired by historic pocket watches. A top-mounted wheel train on the caseback side of the Calibre L051.2 movement and two additional screwed gold chatons are manifestations of the mainspring barrel that was enlarged with the 1815 and delivers power for three days. Also, because this is ALS, who have an obsessive attention to detail, the movement features a stop mechanism, which means that when the watch does eventually lose all of its stored energy, the seconds counter stops precisely at zero.

One thing that I didn’t know is that every ALS watch is effectively unique, because each movement that comes out of the manufacture with one component which is hand engraved; so, apart from the famous three quarter plates, gold chatons, and 245 individual parts, this one also features ALS’s individually hand-engraved balance cock. This tradition of engraving the balance-cock goes way back to the pocket watches but - when ALS relaunched in the 90s - they continued with it and because the engravings are done by half a dozen different craftsmen at the manufacture, each one looks different.

Anyway, the specification of the Calibre L051.2 movement…

Number of movement parts: 245
    Number of rubies: 29
    Number of screwed gold chatons: 7
    Power reserve: 72 hours when fully wound
    Oscillation frequency: 21600 bph
    Beat-adjustment system: Screw balance
    Movement measures: diameter 30.6 mm; height 4.6 mm

Finally, then, to this particular special edition, limited to just 25 numbered watches in rose gold and another 25 in white gold. It marks 25 years since the reborn manufacture released the first of it's watches back in 1994 and also celebrates the association with Wempe (another brand that was nationalised back in the day), who were tasked with selling them all through their own dealerships. As special/limited editions go... well, it really is special, and it really is limited!

Beautiful watch.... easy to appreciate the crafting that went into that.

Just gorgeous, well wear a special watch.

Wow wow wow, that's seriously special. Enjoy!

Master
    Stunning piece. Enjoy it Tony Ian sure you will treat us to some special images of the watch. Can’t wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Horologos View Post
    Stunning piece. Enjoy it Tony Ian sure you will treat us to some special images of the watch. Can’t wait.
    The thread is from 2109. You either don’t know your calendar or you don’t know Tony:-)
    Though I have a suspicion, he might have kept this one.

Thanks guys. Unfortunately CV-19 has resulted in this being moved on long before it’s time... a painful decision but one that was necessary nonetheless as my business has been decimated.

Here's to a better 2021!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 26th December 2020 at 20:34.

Master
    Sorry to hear about your business situation re. covid19 Tony, wishing you all the best for the new year. Looking forward to seeing more excellent photos of great watches.

[QUOTE=learningtofly;5625572

Here's to a better 2021![/QUOTE]

Let us hope so. Hopefully it will all come back.

Better to have loved and lost... You still have a great collection and hopefully 2021 is better for all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    Sorry to hear about your business situation re. covid19 Tony, wishing you all the best for the new year. Looking forward to seeing more excellent photos of great watches.
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Let us hope so. Hopefully it will all come back.
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Better to have loved and lost... You still have a great collection and hopefully 2021 is better for all of us.
    Thanks very much. My fingers are tightly crossed.

Master
    Beautiful watch Tony it really is. Sorry to hear about your business, hopefully 2021 will be a good year for you. All the best :-)