closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: original radium or MoD (T) re-dial? (Smiths GS De Luxe)

original radium or MoD (T) re-dial? (Smiths GS De Luxe)

OK, tz, probably one for the BMW subsforum but help me!

I've been offered me a choice of two (2!) Smiths "GS De Luxe", both from 1956.

Now here is my dilemma: do I buy the original Radium dial or Tritium (MoD re-)dial?

They are both lovely. And in an ideal world I’d like them both. (They are same price.)

So I’m torn:

The radium dial is, I suppose, the GS De Luxe equivalent of the Omega '53 TA and the tritium re-dial is the FA. So I should really go for the radium dial. More original — and rarer, too.
    And yet, and yet . . . . Often MoD redials look less good (cf the Omega ’53 — those FA dials look amateurish compared with the Swiss-made TA) but I suspect the Smiths tritium was done by Burford who also did the originals.

That said, I do like the slightly tropical patina on the radium dial. It really looks like a watch from 1956.
    The case on the radium dialled one is quite well worn but more than acceptable; the one housing the (T) dial is vgc++. Both have correct the movement. Serial nos are all in the right range. Basically both good watches.

So: an all-original radium dial with patina and a well-worn case, looking very much like the 63 year old watch that it is OR an altogether mintier version with bright white printing and those slightly-too-long W10 hands (which are, of course, right for the tritium redialled watches).

Both really good examples in their own way BUT WHICH ONE SHOULD I BUY?

Ah, the curse of consumer choice!

(And don't even think of saying "buy them both" or "how much are they?" or "swap the cases round"! Yes, I know you!)
    Thanks

Based on my experience with Omega FAs: I’ve had three, moved them all on, the dials were just wrong and in hindsight I’d have much preferred a TA even if quite a bit rougher.

Therefore, I vote radium and I would probably have the hands re-done to match the dial lume colour, but that’s a personal choice that many would be in horror about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’d go for the original radium dual.

Mainly because of the patina. But also because I prefer the shorter hands.

They're both lovely.

However if I had to choose I like the T dial, somehow it just looks cooler & appeals to me more than the other, it's definitely the one I would go for.

Great choice to have to make though !

I would not have the will power, I would buy both
    However... my head says buy the radium dial as it’s rarer and is a good looking watch, my heart says the tritium dial as I prefer the aesthetics and slightly larger hands (if I did have both I know the T dial would be worn more).
    Either way a nice problem to have
    (T dial)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The radium is the better looking, but here’s a little video I made a few years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnlO...g&index=4&t=0s

There’s also the minor issue of radon gas...

So I’d go tritium.

Or keep your watches in metal box in a well ventilated place downhill from you.

Just out of interest, what is the price of the watches?

Craftsman
    There’s a warmth to the radium dial that’s absent in the T-dial, so I’d vote radium. The radiums case is in nicer condition than you give it credit for. It looks honest and the wear complements the aging on the dial - both being pluses from my perspective. Let us know what you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MDSWATCH View Post
    Just out of interest, what is the price of the watches?
    North of three grand (each). More than that I'd rather not say in case my wife is reading this.

[Deletes browsing history.]

Master
    Blog Entries
    T dial, the other one just looks too knackered for my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    North of three grand (each). More than that I'd rather not say in case my wife is reading this.

[Deletes browsing history.]
    Ha, ha!

Go for the original! It’s odd that they couldn’t get to outer track the right size on the redial.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I prefer the original dialed one

Sardines and porridge for a month a few months and buy both :)

If really pushed go for the radium.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 2nd November 2019 at 22:52.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

I’d go for the radium, looks much nicer and like you say it’s original which is important imo with vintage pieces

Another vote for the radium.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    Go for the original! It’s odd that they couldn’t get to outer track the right size on the redial.
    I think the track is the same but I think (?) they used the hands from the W10 rather than re-lume the originals.

So they are a tad too long.

But right for the watch with a (T) dial.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    I think the track is the same but I think (?) they used the hands from the W10 rather than re-lume the originals.

So they are a tad too long.

But right for the watch with a (T) dial.
    You are quite right.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    The radium is the better looking, but here’s a little video I made a few years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnlO...g&index=4&t=0s

There’s also the minor issue of radon gas...

So I’d go tritium.

Or keep your watches in metal box in a well ventilated place downhill from you.
    I couldn't agree more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The radium dialed watch looks authentic and so much more coherent than the redialed watch. The tritium dial is just nasty and I suspect the combination of the clumsy printing and overlong hands will irritate in the long run. Original wins it comfortably for me.

Martin

Sent from my LG-H930 using TZ-UK mobile app