closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: His Dark Materials

His Dark Materials

Quite like a bit of Philip Pullman.....so I will be watching the BBC/HBO series starting Sunday evening
    Anyone else?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Quite like a bit of Philip Pullman.....so I will be watching the BBC/HBO series starting Sunday evening
    Anyone else?
    I loved the original trilogy, some of the best storytelling I’ve ever come across. I’m currently reading the Book of Dust and am really looking forward to this new adaptation.

Another waiting here, was disappointed when only one book reached the cinema .
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Another waiting here, was disappointed when only one book reached the cinema .
    And while it had a lot of the features of a great film, it seemed to have been edited into a turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    And while it had a lot of the features of a great film, it seemed to have been edited into a turkey.
    My understanding and I could be wrong, is that the US market wasn't ready for a film that they took as a thinly veiled criticism of religion, so it was edited accordingly and the follow up films never commissioned.

Cant wait, should be very high quality but cant be sure of course. Will have to watch to judge myself

I do hope Mrs C will be played by Ruth Wilson.
    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Cannot wait. So much potential to be great. But also so much important content that it makes perfect sense to air it on TV than trying to cram it all into a couple of hours on the big screen.

Although rather than enjoy it for what it is, I think I'm going to postpone watching it and give the books a reread first.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I really liked the books, looking forward to the 2nd movie, didn't I read a few years ago that the church tried to stop future production after the golden compass ?

Rather looking forward to the TV adaption, the trailers I've seen look good. I'm a big fan of the books.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

I've never read nor seen anything but on the basis of several friends' recommendations, I've bought the first three books for my Kindle. I've set my TV recorder to tape the BBC series but as I'm a believer in reading before watching, I'll read the books first. It may take some time.... :(
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

My TV is set to record the series. It's about time we had something decent on Sunday night.

I was really looking forward to this, but then they cast James McAvoy. I can't watch him so I'll be giving it a miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I was really looking forward to this, but then they cast James McAvoy. I can't watch him so I'll be giving it a miss.
    There is that unfortunate casting, as he is a little smirking git. I'll try not to let him spoil my enjoyment.

Looking forward to this, and so are my kids

The family are looking forward to watching this , it does look good .

Mmmmmmm, Ruth Wilson.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

One of our customers worked on this, first assiastant producer I think. She gave me a heads up about this several months ago now shame it isn't really my cup of tea. She also did Sex Education MMMMMM Gillian, doc Martin and loads more.

Yes looks to be right up my street does this

A 5.00 p.m. slot would be more appropriate, I feel. Would be on the way to the pub, looking forward to The Antiques Roadshow, some 3 hours later.

Early days yet,

Not acquainted with the books (yet) and watched some of the first episode. Struggled to hear the dialogue I'm afraid. Also from someone new to this, I wasn't expecting the fantasy aspect at all.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Not acquainted with the books (yet) and watched some of the first episode. Struggled to hear the dialogue I'm afraid. Also from someone new to this, I wasn't expecting the fantasy aspect at all.
    Well the whole thing is about god and souls, so yeah, there is a fatasy aspect

Well not of fay with the books. Found it all a bit hard to follow, a bit too Harry Potterish for me I'm afraid.

Early days but so far...well it's OK but it hasn't blown me away and not up to the hype.

I'm more looking forward to 'War of the Worlds' coming soon!
    Mmmm...Eleanor Tomlinson.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI6CNC4BtXk

Master
    I found War of the Worlds a total snooze fest :(

Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post
    I found War of the Worlds a total snooze fest :(
    This version appears to be far closer to the book than the Hollywood versions.

His Dark Materials

His Dark Materials followed by World on Fire made up a pretty dire, tedious, evening’s viewing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 4th November 2019 at 10:26.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    This version appears to be far closer to the book than the Hollywood versions.
    At least its not a film about Tom Cruise staring Tom Cruise playing Tom Cruise. Directed by Tom Cruise.

Have HDM to watch tonight but WOTW felt like a good effort for someone doing an A level in film studies (and paid a friend 25 quid for doing the effects on their Amiga)

Am I missing something? All these 'reviews' but WOTW isn't out yet?
    It's a BBC production, made for the BBC and you've seen it before it's aired on the BBC?
    Are you the BBC director general or Dr Who?
    Last edited by Orange Peel; 4th November 2019 at 10:36.

Have to disagree about World on Fire I find it a great piece of TV drama so I'm not sure if you thought it was going to be a gung ho war shoot em up or something? Then I would understand your disappointment.
    Last edited by Orange Peel; 4th November 2019 at 10:37.

I was looking forward to His Dark Materials but found it very confusing and not to my taste. I won't be watching any more.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel View Post
    Am I missing something? All these 'reviews' but WOTW isn't out yet?
    It's a BBC production, made for the BBC and you've seen it before it's aired on the BBC?
    Are you the BBC director general or Dr Who?
    BBC funded but out in Canada a few weeks back.

Love the book and the live Jeff Wayne musical is stunning but this just didnt work. For me.

if you thought it was going to be a gung ho war shoot em up or something? Then I would understand your disappointment.
    Not me.

Too many storylines of superficial-nature. Take the escape to Spain last night. Lack of depth to the stories, stereotypical, corny, implausible connections between the storylines, obvious, predictable storylines. The RAF officer will be shot down next week. Saw that coming last week. Dire scripts, although Lesley Manville gets a few decent lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Despite being a massive fantasy fan, however I've never been really drawn to Pullman's books. So sometimes dramatic series are a good way to seeing if it's worth picking up the book. After episode 1, I'm still not sure as this sort of fantasy isn't really my thing.

I'll persevere a bit longer as the cast looks good. Dafne Keen was great in Logan and Ruth Wilson seems to have an unsettling presence in the show which works very well.

I'm also looking forward to War of the Worlds!

As ever with adaptations, the His Dark Materials books have a depth and magic which is very difficult to capture in a film/TV Series. As a big fan (and having read plenty of other Philip Pullman books) I enjoyed the first episode and I’m looking forward to the rest. In the end it is an interpretation of the books though, and that is always going to dilute the experience a bit.

For those who are new to the whole story, I’ll only say that it takes a while before you really understand what it is all about, even though the themes reveal themselves in a compelling way (IMHO).

If you like The War of the Worlds, you should read the official sequel, written by the greatest living sci-fi writer:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...ag=stepbaxt-21

It's absolutely brilliant (as is his official sequal the The Time Machine, and everything else he's ever written).
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    I missed the start last night but have set the rest to record and will catch up on the first. Hoping its good.

Have to disagree about World on Fire I find it a great piece of TV drama so I'm not sure if you thought it was going to be a gung ho war shoot em up or something? Then I would understand your disappointment.
    I'm enjoying also but....a gay Nazi Officer supporting a gay American and a Black gay French musician??? Really!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I really enjoyed the first episode. I think it helps if you've read the books.

Mrs T-7 wandered off halfway through complaining that she couldn't follow what was going on. That's what happens when you've got your nose stuck in your mobile phone & give the tv only an occasional glance :-/

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Mrs T-7 wandered off halfway through complaining that she couldn't follow what was going on. That's what happens when you've got your nose stuck in your mobile phone & give the tv only an occasional glance :-/
    The exact same thing tends to happen in my house as well!

Master
    Rubbish. I'm not really a fantasy fan but I could get past it if the acting wasn't so hammy. It felt like I was watching am dram with a massive budget

Sent from my SM-G903F using TZ-UK mobile app

Just watched with my kids, ok for me (hope it develops) and they loved it.

I just watched it with all the family. My wife, daughter (11) and I have all read the books. My son (7) has seen The Golden Compass. i thought it was an excellent first episode. It followed the books very closely, even including a brief excerpt of La Belle Sauvage. All the actors seems well cast, especially Lyra and Mrs Coulter. The feel of the book was there too, especially Jordan College and the technology.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    I'm enjoying also but....a gay Nazi Officer supporting a gay American and a Black gay French musician??? Really!!
    Standard BBC rewriting of history. The BBC can’t do a drama these days without an over representation of ethnic minorities and gay love.

Not enough trans lgbtrgtqt in them yet, but they’ll get there soon.

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    Standard BBC rewriting of history. The BBC can’t do a drama these days without an over representation of ethnic minorities and gay love.

Have you seen the Selfridge's Christmas Advert? It includes all of the above and is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post

Have you read any of the novels by Christopher Isherwood?

Craftsman

His Dark Materials

As a big fan of the books, I thought it was pretty good - still getting over the disappointment of golden compass! Lyra was excellent, as was Mrs Coulter and the whole feel of the world. Pretty fast paced but generally true to the book. McAvoy not as bad as I feared, but I’m not convinced, and the gyptians were weak. Made up hippy coming of age ceremonies, elderly frail scholar farder coram looked more like a retired lumberjack and didn’t feel ma Costa was right. Nice to have the full plot synopsis at the end for those who cba - it looks good (well, until Lin-Manuel rocks up trying to play the tough old Texan Scoresby)