closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1909 Florus centre seconds watch

Apprentice

1909 Florus centre seconds watch

First post on here so lets hope all goes well but it seems simple enough, famous last words!

Here is a watch with a silver is hall marked for 1909. The name of Florus is signed under the dial face on the bridge. As you can see a few hair lines on the dial but an early centre seconds watch. Its got an interesting hand set up, another first for me.
    This is a maker or retailer I've not come across before, anyone heard of them?
    Interestingly I bought it from and auction and someone had bent the second hand up and it was catching on the crystal (wrong crystal) so the watch wasn't running when I got it but I had inquired for a condition report and it was ticking (auctioneers words)
    Ah well it will run ok I hope.

Pete

Lovely watch and your post worked perfectly. It’s very satisfying when the smallest fix gets a watch working again, especially in an auction.

Is this trademark on your watch?

If so, it was registered to Alphonse Boichat & Cie in 1904 according to Mikrolisk.

http://www.mikrolisk.de

Edit: Googling a bit more I found a couple of links that reference Alphonse Boichat patenting the centre seconds movement.

https://www.dieschatzkisteimnetz.de/...e88d477ea5ed04 (In German, I used Chrome to translate).

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f7/191...topics/4924365

I found a listing for the Swiss patent, filed in 1900 and granted in 1902.

https://patents.google.com/?inventor=boichat&oq=boichat
    Last edited by alfat33; 13th June 2020 at 17:32.

Beautiful thing. Do you know the size?
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Apprentice
    The watch measures 35.5mm and has a lug size of 12mm

Something different for sure. Very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What an interesting piece - looks a fair bit ahead of its time in many ways.

Apprentice
    The trade mark shown in the first reply is not on the watch, just the signature under the dial. Of course it may be under the barrel bridge and until its cleaned I won't know. There is a cross on the barrel bridge and it has a number in it 22940 there is another number of 47138. Not sure about the significance? When I say it runs its only for a minute or so but I'll get it serviced and see where we go from there.
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Peterd View Post
    The trade mark shown in the first reply is not on the watch, just the signature under the dial. Of course it may be under the barrel bridge and until its cleaned I won't know. There is a cross on the barrel bridge and it has a number in it 22940 there is another number of 47138. Not sure about the significance? When I say it runs its only for a minute or so but I'll get it serviced and see where we go from there.
    Pete
    The ‘22940’ is the Swiss patent number for the centre seconds patent granted to Alphonse Boichat. The cross is from the Swiss flag and confirms that the patent was granted in Switzerland.

If you are interested David Boettcher’s site has a bit more information about these marks. He also has a piece on early centre second watches and in general lots of good information about trench watches. You might find a nice strap for it there as well.

https://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/swisshallmarks.php

I think that is quite an exciting discovery, a centre seconds watch made by the manufacturer a few years after they patented the technique.

Good luck with the servicing. I hope you post some more pictures once it’s finished.

Edit: I’ve just seen on MWR that you have already been in contact with David so have all the info you need. A very nice watch.
    Last edited by alfat33; 14th June 2020 at 10:55.

Craftsman
    Wow, a lovely looking watch, and looks to be in very good condition as well.

One thing that surprised me (having looked at dozens if not hundreds of watches from this era) is that this is the first watch I've seen with a sweep central seconds hand. I'd love that.

Apprentice
    Its got import marks for 'GS' George Stockwell and London and the letter 'O'.
    I had already email David Boettcher he also has one of these . I don't think there will be many of them about.
    This is the first centre second wrist watch from this period I have. He said I could share this advert.
    It would be interesting if anyone has information about its price in 1909.
    Pete