closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 76

Thread: What’s your favorite GMT? Need inspiration

  1. #1
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Luxembourg, Luxembourg
    Posts
    66

    What’s your favorite GMT? Need inspiration

    Hello,

    What’s your favorite GMT out there? I look for one I can wear with a suit but also not misplaced on holidays.

    I look for a true GMT complication.

    I like the Ulysse Nardin dual/ home time for instance but already have a Ulysse Nardin...

    Any ideas? ;)

  2. #2
    Master woodacre1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    1,213
    What sort of budget you looking at?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    357
    Tudor BB GMT for me. Also have a Sinn 857 but that's not a true GMT and is a grey colour due to the tegimented steel.

    Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

  4. #4
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Luxembourg, Luxembourg
    Posts
    66
    Thanks, will look at the tudor.

    Budget up to 5k (eur), not in the hurry I can save...

  5. #5
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    357
    Have a look as well at the Sinn 6099. More dressy looking but still exceptionally well made.

    Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    1,087
    Blog Entries
    1
    16710 is my favourite GMT

  7. #7
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    13,458
    Explorer 2. Looks good anywhere.

    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

  8. #8
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    255
    I really like the Rolex Explorer 2 (both dials) but have a thing against cyclops' so it's the Tudor BB GMT for me!

  9. #9
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    194
    The Grand Seiko 9F quartz, SBGN004/5, look really good.

  10. #10
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Luxembourg, Luxembourg
    Posts
    66
    Always thought the Rolex were out of budget? And not convinced it would match nicely with a suit?

    Thanks for the ideas!!

  11. #11
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,583
    If you want something a bit different you could just about pick up a nice PAM233 for that money.

  12. #12
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    13,458
    Quote Originally Posted by The_french_guy View Post
    Always thought the Rolex were out of budget? And not convinced it would match nicely with a suit?

    Thanks for the ideas!!
    You're not far off Rolex budget, and the white dial of the Exp 2 always looks good with a jacket and tie imo.
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

  13. #13
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,141
    Panerai 1950 3 Days GMT Power Reserve Luminor PAM01537.

    Stunning thing!

  14. #14
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Luxembourg, Luxembourg
    Posts
    66
    PAM looks big on a 16cm wrist, no? But I like both the explorer, the gmt and the PAM.

  15. #15
    Grand Seiko SBGE201.

    Costs £5500.

    It’s spring drive, so a little different.

  16. #16
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,141
    Quote Originally Posted by The_french_guy View Post
    PAM looks big on a 16cm wrist, no? But I like both the explorer, the gmt and the PAM.
    The pam i suggested is only 42mm diameter and 13mm ish thick.
    Last edited by Stuno1; 2nd November 2019 at 20:07.

  17. #17
    How about the Omega Great White?

    I have several GMT’s, as I travel all the time, but the Great White is somehow always top of the pile.

  18. #18
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Luxembourg, Luxembourg
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSWATCH View Post
    Grand Seiko SBGE201.

    Costs £5500.

    It’s spring drive, so a little different.
    I was close to buy the SBGE201 old logo. Still on the list but looks also like a diver, wouldn’t go nice in the collection if I also invest in a diver..

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    The pam in suggested is only 42mm diameter and 13mm ish thick.
    Ok I must look at that! Thank you!!

  19. #19
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,141
    Quote Originally Posted by The_french_guy View Post
    I was close to buy the SBGE201 old logo. Still on the list but looks also like a diver, wouldn’t go nice in the collection if I also invest in a diver..

    - - - Updated - - -



    Ok I must look at that! Thank you!!
    Me too! I own a Bb GMT and love it but the Pam has a lovely dial and the shape of the case is something I am quite drawn to. I want to find one and try it on.

  20. #20
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Luxembourg, Luxembourg
    Posts
    66
    PAM01537 (42mm)



    PAM233 (44mm)



    They look great but a bit pricey I think for my budget.

  21. #21
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    39
    This Hamilton at the moment.....

  22. #22
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    How about the Omega Great White?

    I have several GMT’s, as I travel all the time, but the Great White is somehow always top of the pile.
    He said ‘true GMT’ and I believe the older Omegas aren’t true GMT? (Ie they have quick set GMT hand, not quick set hour hand). Correct me if I’m remembering correctly.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    Panerai Pam535, also 42mm, but may just stretch the budget pre-owned.


  24. #24
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    792
    Ive always really liked the look of one of these, saw it in the flesh once at the Seiko boutique in London. Gorgeous.
    Grand Seiko SBGJ201:


  25. #25
    Master JDB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Mid-Wales
    Posts
    2,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe.d View Post
    He said ‘true GMT’ and I believe the older Omegas aren’t true GMT? (Ie they have quick set GMT hand, not quick set hour hand). Correct me if I’m remembering correctly.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    The Seamaster GMTs have independent hour hands.

  26. #26
    I do enjoy a good GMT. At the moment, I've been looking at ones that display the second time zone without simply using an additional hand.

    One posted on the forum not too long ago was the Ulysse Nardin dual time. I love the dial layout and easy to adjust (which is a must). The other idea is maybe look for a world timer? Something say by Mont Blanc, JLC and LU Chopard?

  27. #27
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    London
    Posts
    164
    Unpopular popular choice but the modern Rolex GMT BLRO is pretty special


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSWATCH View Post
    Grand Seiko SBGE201.

    Costs £5500.

    It’s spring drive, so a little different.
    I was going to suggest this, but then I recalled the SGBE015 - titanium, old branding and that fantastic spring drive movement:

    https://www.ablogtowatch.com/grand-s...5-watch-hands/

    Definite grail piece.

    https://youtu.be/oletFbkd7es

  29. #29
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Bolton , UK
    Posts
    69
    I don’t own one of these but has been on my radar for a while , which reminds me I need to post a wtb for one.

    TAG Heuer
    Formula 1 GMT Calibre 7 - WAZ211A.BA0875

    Never really appealed to me until I saw one in the flesh .

  30. #30
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    2,566
    I can second this suggestion made above and yes it is a true GMT


  31. #31
    Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    7,089
    How about a classic 16750 Explorer II in 'polar' white guise?


  32. #32
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14,847
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    If you want something a bit different you could just about pick up a nice PAM233 for that money.
    Yes. That is my favourite GMT.

  33. #33
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Bath,UK
    Posts
    422
    Another GS would (will?) be my pick for the perfect GMT.
    39.4 mm Spring Drive, but JDM only.


  34. #34
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,592
    Blog Entries
    1
    Zenith Doublematic and drop the mic...

  35. #35
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    LONDON
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I can second this suggestion made above and yes it is a true GMT

    Will deffo be picking on of those up in the near future

  36. #36
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Yorkshireman at heart
    Posts
    1,657
    Blog Entries
    2
    This is the only GMT watch I've got. GS SBGJ021


  37. #37
    Journeyman Tabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Liverpool, UK
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by Salvadali View Post
    I don’t own one of these but has been on my radar for a while , which reminds me I need to post a wtb for one.

    TAG Heuer
    Formula 1 GMT Calibre 7 - WAZ211A.BA0875

    Never really appealed to me until I saw one in the flesh .
    On a similar note the Tag Heuer Carrera Twin Time will also tick that GMT box. I've had one as a daily for the last 10 years and the independent GMT hand came in handy during a trip to the US this year. Non cyclops date window and available in dark or light face options, too.


  38. #38
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Warks
    Posts
    4,879
    I quite like the Seiko Landmaster S EJ001 and SBEJ003. Quite different to most; titanium, 12 o'clock crown and a power reserve

    Sent from my SM-G903F using TZ-UK mobile app

  39. #39
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    2,858
    I’ve always admired the 1953 Glycine Airman white face (cream)

    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rc...72979016931866

    (never have much luck embedding photos)

  40. #40
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    2,858
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    How about a classic 16750 Explorer II in 'polar' white guise?
    A question: Is the Explorer the same movement, and same functionality - as the GMT-Master of similar year?

  41. #41
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Luxembourg, Luxembourg
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe.d View Post
    He said ‘true GMT’ and I believe the older Omegas aren’t true GMT? (Ie they have quick set GMT hand, not quick set hour hand). Correct me if I’m remembering correctly.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good note! What I meant is indeed a quick set hand. True that some have GMT hand setting and some Hour hand, it‘s either a traveller watch or a local watch with foreign countries hours reading capabilities.

    Either or, I would be fine...

  42. #42
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Luxembourg, Luxembourg
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I do enjoy a good GMT. At the moment, I've been looking at ones that display the second time zone without simply using an additional hand.

    One posted on the forum not too long ago was the Ulysse Nardin dual time. I love the dial layout and easy to adjust (which is a must). The other idea is maybe look for a world timer? Something say by Mont Blanc, JLC and LU Chopard?
    ... that‘s part of the dilemma. I find so appealing to read the localtime on a dial and to set with a separate push button. Hand or no hand? That‘s the question...

    A lot of great ideas anyway, thanks! I also like the Seamster PO GMT with the 8605..

  43. #43
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Reading, Berks
    Posts
    2,948

  44. #44
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    2,566
    Quote Originally Posted by The_french_guy View Post
    Good note! What I meant is indeed a quick set hand. True that some have GMT hand setting and some Hour hand, it‘s either a traveller watch or a local watch with foreign countries hours reading capabilities.

    Either or, I would be fine...
    The Omega SMP implementation works exactly the same as that on the Rolex GMT Master-II and Explorer-II in that it is the hour hand which jumps. Even though it is based on an ETA design like many other GMT watches, this is unique to Omega, the others use the 2893-2 which has the GMT hand jump.
    Last edited by Padders; 4th November 2019 at 21:16.

  45. #45
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by The_french_guy View Post
    ... that‘s part of the dilemma. I find so appealing to read the localtime on a dial and to set with a separate push button. Hand or no hand? That‘s the question...

    A lot of great ideas anyway, thanks! I also like the Seamster PO GMT with the 8605..
    Bit of a left field choice but on the subject of push buttons, what about a Nomos Weltzeit?

  46. #46
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Luxembourg, Luxembourg
    Posts
    66
    Will check the Nomos, not sure how it looks like.

    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    The Omega SMP implementation works exactly the same as that on the Rolex GMT Master-II and Explorer-II in that it is the hour hand which jumps. Even though it is based on an ETA design like many other GMT watches, this is unique to Omega, the others use the 2893-2 which has the GMT hour hand jump.
    Interesting . Thank you!

  47. #47
    The Nomos on SC right now is gorgeous.

  48. #48
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    1,233
    Quote Originally Posted by The_french_guy View Post
    ... that‘s part of the dilemma. I find so appealing to read the localtime on a dial and to set with a separate push button. Hand or no hand? That‘s the question...

    A lot of great ideas anyway, thanks! I also like the Seamster PO GMT with the 8605..
    If you can look past the tubes.. Check out the Ball Roadmaster Marine GMT with pushers to advance the GMT hand. Day date, 3 zone GMT, 40mm and titanium.

  49. #49
    MKII Key West? Not necessarily original in design, but they're bloody good!

  50. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    The Omega SMP implementation works exactly the same as that on the Rolex GMT Master-II and Explorer-II in that it is the hour hand which jumps. Even though it is based on an ETA design like many other GMT watches, this is unique to Omega, the others use the 2893-2 which has the GMT hand jump.
    I have the Dreadnaught Voyager and really like the watch, however I will never buy another GMT watch that utilises the 2893 - such a pain in the ass and horrendous to use.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •