closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signs market is changing on premium Rolex models

Signs market is changing on premium Rolex models

I noticed latley eBay prices a creeping down on premium models Batman's, Daytona is no one buying them ? think it's owt to do with Hong Kong going in to recession

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F174082387945

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bokbok; 31st October 2019 at 22:48.

Craftsman

Signs market is changing on premium Rolex models

Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    I noticed latley eBay prices a creeping down on premium models Batman's, Daytona is no one buying them ? think it's owt to do with Hong Kong going in to recession

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F174082387945

It’s been a while since I’ve seen a ceramic Daytona under the 20k mark ! from private worn.. never mind dealer with stickers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Billy4389; 31st October 2019 at 22:58.

Funny you should say that, I watch a lot of auction Rolex via an online 3rd party, lots of the usual suspects like 16710's, 16610's 16800's, 5513's, the odd Comex, Daytona's are either just about making low'ish end of the guide price or not being sold.

Yes there is the odd watch 2 buyers really want which pushes it up but in general buyers look more wary than say 3/6 months ago, I don't think prices will crash, but maybe some of the more wild asking prices will have to be rained back, interesting times.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Funny you should say that, I watch a lot of auction Rolex via an online 3rd party, lots of the usual suspects like 16710's, 16610's 16800's, 5513's, the odd Comex, Daytona's are either just about making low'ish end of the guide price or not being sold.

Yes there is the odd watch 2 buyers really want which pushes it up but in general buyers look more wary than say 3/6 months ago, I don't think prices will crash, but maybe some of the more wild asking prices will have to be rained back, interesting times.
    I see I have noticed new batmans a few at 13k and touch under. I don't think it's going to crash but may be all these premium models might come down to a bit more sensible priced.
    I won't pay 20k for ceramic Daytona, I bought one at £12950 3 years ago and broke my heart then

That Daytona is bricks and mortar dealer unworn which shocked me

It’s good to see that some of these dealers are pricing things to sell. Watchfinder are still listing the white ceramic Daytona at around the £25k mark and haven’t sold any for a long time. It’s the same with the Aquanaut which they seem to think is worth £35k now despite the market clearly thinking otherwise. I’m not sure what their game is but they’re showing no signs of bringing their prices down to market level.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    It’s good to see that some of these dealers are pricing things to sell. Watchfinder are still listing the white ceramic Daytona at around the £25k mark and haven’t sold any for a long time. It’s the same with the Aquanaut which they seem to think is worth £35k now despite the market clearly thinking otherwise. I’m not sure what their game is but they’re showing no signs of bringing their prices down to market level.
    they must be selling them surely? id imagine they are sitting on quite a few, maybe they are offering inflated trade ins to get them shifted.

I'd say they are holding tight for Christmas. The session of overpaying for all things. Pricing may change after (if at all) but not before.

Craftsman
    I think it’s just starting to level out a bit! But don’t think it will crash, the thing I don’t get is with the PM models sports being so rare, was always RG Daytona, WG Daytona ,and platinum models in AD, as people only want steel, seems just Rolex all sports models well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony E View Post
    I think it’s just starting to level out a bit! But don’t think it will crash, the thing I don’t get is with the PM models sports being so rare, was always RG Daytona, WG Daytona ,and platinum models in AD, as people only want steel, seems just Rolex all sports models well.
    They made to order pretty much these days instead sitting in windows for long time.

Master
    They made to order pretty much these days instead sitting in windows for long time.

No but they are popular amongst the wealthy asians, mainly thai/chinese tourists. With taxfree and discounts they are cheap here compared to back home. They still sit in windows in Siam Paragon etc. Problem is there's a knock on effect where people here think "oh they're desirable and a good investment!" and so the bubble inflates...

Until it pops, which it is starting to do, it seems.

Blog Entries
    Went to a pre-sale viewing at the local AD today (jewellery mainly). Was talking about the watches I'm waiting for (hope springs eternal ) and was told they had people waiting for Air king + Explorer 1, also Datejust models. Had a few in the window the usual stuff with Roman numeral dials mainly, plus some ladies models. Didn't seem too optimistic about any steel sports models. When I said they got me an Explorer 2 after a wait of about 6 weeks they said that would be wishful thinking now!

No sign of a slow down or the 'bubble bursting' there I'm afraid.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    As long as Rolex keep supply restricted, the brand image and prices will remain high.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    As long as Rolex keep supply restricted, the brand image and prices will remain high.
    They might do shops they still need to sell them and make money my point is there coming down. Discontinued Batmans under 12k on eBay new batmans 13k

I think Rolex are having to pull out all the stops with this dramatic supply restriction in order to keep their market and prices buoyed up in the face of weakening global demand for luxury goods and a growing trend towards spending on luxury/exclusive experience purchases. Same moves have been made by the diamond producers.
    I suspect this business of having to have a relationship/tickle the AD, and keeping documents back from buyers will turn some people off as who needs extra pita, and runs entirely contrary to the old adage about the customer always being right.
    Also smart watches.
    Last edited by Passenger; 2nd November 2019 at 10:32.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I agree. I see the bubble bursting soon.

Last couple of months I've had a few mates asking if I can get them a Rolex (knowing I like watches). When I ask which one it's either Daytona or I don't know.

On the other hand dealers seem to still be offering fair prices.

I don't know how Rolex sell over a million watches a year with how limited the supply is.

Its around 1 in every 6500 people buy a Rolex a year. I would imagine a large percentage of that are kids, women (less likely to buy), and people in poverty. I don't know how they do it.
    Last edited by JPCain86; 2nd November 2019 at 10:32.

Master
    They might do shops they still need to sell them and make money my point is there coming down. Discontinued Batmans under 12k on eBay new batmans 13k

Paying those prices fuels the problem.

Another scenario is once the feeling is out there that prices are moving in a buyers direction then buyers hold off waiting for prices to fall further, you then have lots of stock hanging around grey dealers, grey dealers don’t want to buy more stock so it then feeds back to the AD, be interesting if members here who sell to Watch Finder see lower offers, those of you on waiting lists might start to get calls!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Another scenario is once the feeling is out there that prices are moving in a buyers direction then buyers hold off waiting for prices to fall further, you then have lots of stock hanging around grey dealers, grey dealers don’t want to buy more stock so it then feeds back to the AD, be interesting if members here who sell to Watch Finder see lower offers, those of you on waiting lists might start to get calls!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    This is the way I see it happening. The AD will be the last to know and will be sitting there with their long waiting list thinking everything is ok until all the profiteers suddenly start passing when their turn comes.

Blog Entries
    It was only a matter of time before things just levelled with Rolex, the growth in the value of the watches was just was not sustainable, similar with property.

I feel prices will drop but seeing secondhand prices falling below new RRP is very unlikely, there will always be interest from folk thinking these are long term investment items.

It will be interesting to see what the effect will be on perceived 'lesser' brands which have seen increases over recent times. Will they also see prices drop??

Pitch

Master
    Tracking a fair few on chronon24 and while they are still silly prices they have all either dropped few % or have flattened.

It was coming and needed to. Every commodity gets to a point where people say no more. It has happened in the car market and it is now happening in watches.

Rolex is leaving Tudor to compete with Breitling and Omega etc and Rolex prices will go up and up as an RRP. They are repositioning themselves and Tudor so good luck to anyone who thinks prices will calm down and GMTs will be £7k or £8k again. The Rolex RRP is more likely to increase so if anything grey pricing and RRP might meet somewhere in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    It was only a matter of time before things just levelled with Rolex, the growth in the value of the watches was just was not sustainable, similar with property.

I feel prices will drop but seeing secondhand prices falling below new RRP is very unlikely, there will always be interest from folk thinking these are long term investment items.

It will be interesting to see what the effect will be on perceived 'lesser' brands which have seen increases over recent times. Will they also see prices drop??

Pitch
    I agree totally

Master
    Meanwhile, in the real world.....

Yes, the great over-chargers by whom so many curiously measure the market may indeed be finding that their latest month's attempt to push prices through the roof are finding some resistance. However, there are more realistic dealers who ask prices broadly 10% less than the "market-makers" and the former are finding their desirable steel Rolex models are snapped up just as fast as ever. This is at price points considerably higher than twelve or even six months ago in some cases.

I predict no rapid or major adjustment in these prices.

It may be a separate matter, but it is extraordinary how many buyers determine the knowledge or trustworthiness of a dealer by the enormity of his prices, the slickness of his website or the number of pictures on his Instasham feed of thick footballers looking awkward wearing the latest Noblot "Big Wang" in rose gold on rubber.

H

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Rolex is leaving Tudor to compete with Breitling and Omega etc and Rolex prices will go up and up as an RRP. They are repositioning themselves and Tudor so good luck to anyone who thinks prices will calm down and GMTs will be £7k or £8k again. The Rolex RRP is more likely to increase so if anything grey pricing and RRP might meet somewhere in the middle.
    Agree

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    It may be a separate matter, but it is extraordinary how many buyers determine the knowledge or trustworthiness of a dealer by the enormity of his prices, the slickness of his website or the number of pictures on his Instasham feed of thick footballers looking awkward wearing the latest Noblot "Big Wang" in rose gold on rubber.
    I always found that funny, too. You, Mike Wood, Dom Hacket and Jason Graham all have pretty basic/old websites but are all completely trustworthy and anyone with a inch of a clue would rush to deal with any of you.

You're selling through reputation, not bells and whistles.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    Agree

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...t=future+Tudor

People see what they want to see.
    It was obvious that some correction was inevitable as the prices were unsustainable.
    A crash would only be caused by economic realities on ground.
    As for people being turned off and moving to other brands is just wishful thinking.
    As usual, Haywood has given the true picture.

Blog Entries
    You only have to read TRF and reports coming out of some greys refusing to buy so called unicorn pieces as they are sitting in vast inventory already. Also prices being offered dropping considerably over the last couple of months, couple of £k territory, and increasing.

Like any cycle this one looks to be heading downward, AD's shouldn't notice it for a fair amount of time due to the delta between MRSP and market price, and there is plenty of time for a number of price hikes by Rolex in the meantime.

Yes, the great over-chargers by whom so many curiously measure the market may indeed be finding that their latest month's attempt to push prices through the roof are finding some resistance. However, there are more realistic dealers who ask prices broadly 10% less than the "market-makers" and the former are finding their desirable steel Rolex models are snapped up just as fast as ever. This is at price points considerably higher than twelve or even six months ago in some cases.

H
    Yup, the real world. Maybe a small squeeze on the most inflated of grey prices but I think that will be it.

Craftsman
    “Noblot Big Wang” 🤣

H you never fail to bring a smile to my face.

Blog Entries

H
    I think this is closer to the truth. The chancers hoping to hop on an ever increasing bandwagon will probably moan about prices dropping (their own inflated ones!), and the reputable dealers will continue to see strong prices for Rolex.

Master
    Blog Entries

Where are Rolex repositioning themselves. They are the everyman luxury watch. It's difficult to position yourself as anything other than that when you sell over a million watches a year.

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    Where are Rolex repositioning themselves. They are the everyman luxury watch. It's difficult to position yourself as anything other than that when you sell over a million watches a year.
    I agree but there is definitely a handoff between Rolex and Tudor going on. The everyman luxury watch which no man can buy unless going grey isn't very 'everyman' is it?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I agree but there is definitely a handoff between Rolex and Tudor going on. The everyman luxury watch which no man can buy unless going grey isn't very 'everyman' is it?
    There revenues wont drop this year so they are still selling the same amount of watches. I just think that dealers are buying them up and restricting the supply.

- - - Updated - - -

There revenues wont drop this year so they are still selling the same amount of watches. I just think that dealers are buying them up and restricting the supply.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post

Dealers not wanting to sell stock? In the words of the Duke, "That'll be the day!"

At least someone bought a cheap unworn Ceramic Daytona dare I say it at £19750 off Ebay was not there long on Ebay its nice to see something actually selling

Blog Entries
    At least someone bought a cheap unworn Ceramic Daytona dare I say it at £19750 off Ebay was not there long on Ebay its nice to see something actually selling
    Am I the only one who would get a bit 'twitchy' about parting with circa 20k, on an ebay watch sale? Unless the sale was put on by a seller you already knew and trusted, but how often would that happen on the bay.

Master
    If you buy on ebay and pay via paypal, you are fully protected.

Craftsman
    Anything I sell on eBay I refuse to accept PayPal, I make it a condition of sale.

Never had any hassle yet.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Am I the only one who would get a bit 'twitchy' about parting with circa 20k, on an ebay watch sale? Unless the sale was put on by a seller you already knew and trusted, but how often would that happen on the bay.
    It's a dealer with shop they probably just phoned them and paid in store.

Journeyman
    Consumers are to blame for the ridic prices we see on rolexes - Rolex asks a price, the consumer pays it
    Agree - A price normalization is ticking - Just a simple play of supply/demand. Rolex is taking the piss by limiting supply and creating abnormal demands. \
    This will soon bite them back in coming years IMO

Quote Originally Posted by owais01 View Post
    Consumers are to blame for the ridic prices we see on rolexes - Rolex asks a price, the consumer pays it
    Agree - A price normalization is ticking - Just a simple play of supply/demand. Rolex is taking the piss by limiting supply and creating abnormal demands. \
    What scenario are you envisaging which will bite them?

Suddenly not being desirable? Being in a position of overcapacity? Losing ground to other makers?

They appear happy with their turnover/profit ratio at present - perhaps they will be equally-happy with the same margin in 10yrs time?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by owais01 View Post
    From their accounts it is quite clear that Rolex have increased supply. On demand side that is Rolex core job - increasing demand for their product ! Issue for them I think has been rapid rise of wealth in the East and move of watches into “fashion” in the West. Between these two they have not been able to catch up production enough to get a good balance (I do not think Rolex are fully happy with present situation). Plus there is a huge amount of stock in greys that never used to exist.

Craftsman
    This whole thread reads every so similarly to those discussion forums on house prices collapsing, with those who really want to buy wishing for a crash or bubble burst & those who have purchased nonchalantly arguing that things might level off but chances of a steep drop being very unlikely, with everyone having their own perspective on which statistic is indicative of their view or which AD & manufacturer behavior will be their downfall. there are less emotions and more rationality on display here, but the sentiment is the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    This whole thread reads every so similarly to those discussion forums on house prices collapsing, with those who really want to buy wishing for a crash or bubble burst & those who have purchased nonchalantly arguing that things might level off but chances of a steep drop being very unlikely, with everyone having their own perspective on which statistic is indicative of their view or which AD & manufacturer behavior will be their downfall. there are less emotions and more rationality on display here, but the sentiment is the same!
    That’s oversimplification. There is a significant group that is neither looking to buy nor resting on the heels but are just bitter souls who would derive pleasure just from the spectacle of market crashing and always drawn to these threads.
    Just as there are some who are always hoping for the stock market to crash.

Some people just want to watch the world burn

Master
    Be aware as well that there are now ‘clone’ versions of the GMT 3285 movement with correct travellers complication. So any too good to be true prices on a GMT may very well be just that.

Had a chat with an independent dealer today in Stratford-upon-Avon, I mentioned about sport Rolex which he was more than happy to talk about, he said the demand is there but it’s def taken a change in the last month, he mentioned about a brand new Daytona sold the other day for £19k, not sure if that is going rate.

The ceramic ones all seem to be north of £20K on Watchfinder.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSWATCH View Post
    The ceramic ones all seem to be north of £20K on Watchfinder.
    Not that it means a lot but watchfinder do what they want