closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Where to buy a used car ?

Craftsman

Where to buy a used car ?

I’m Looking to buy a used car from a private seller but it seems as though most of the sites that I used to use for this - autotrader, etc- are now dominated by trade sellers
    Anyone have any suggestions to other places to look ?
    Thanks

Master
    Blog Entries
    The Autotrader is still the go to for used cars. Facebook market place isn't too bad either (as a buyer). If it's a niche car, pistonheads is also worth a look.

Out of interest, why the insistence on a private seller?

- - - Updated - - -

The Autotrader is still the go to for used cars. Facebook market place isn't too bad either (as a buyer). If it's a niche car, pistonheads is also worth a look.

Gumtree, eBay and Facebook Marketplace seem to be the favoured haunts of private sellers these days.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post

I would guess cost? Although I would be careful especially at the cheaper end of the market if a car had underlying faults that aren’t immediately obvious at purchase.

Atleast if you buy from a garage you have some recourse (for a limited time) if things go wrong.

I say this because my partner recently bought a 2011 cheap seat and after a week the timing belt snapped. The garage footed the bill which I think was somewhere in the region of half the cost of the car.

Craftsman
    Autotrader, just select private seller in the options. And do due diligence! I've bought and sold a good handful of cars over the last couple of years and looked in the usual places. Without fail, Autotrader has been best for me as a seller and Pistonheads as a buyer.

If not completely set on a private seller, heycar is a great new platform to look on. It's owned by VW & Daimler and each seller on there has been vetted by the two companies so you're always getting a quality product. All makes & models on there though, not just limited to VW & Merc...

Just my 2p's worth

I bought my last 3 cars from traders. One was rather economic with the truth and fit the 'used care dealer' stereotype well, the other two were excellent. They were straightforward and helpful. No pressure tactics or b******t.

I know you often pay more at a dealer but I wouldn't rule them out.

Craftsman
    You're correct it seems so much more difficult by private, I guess it's because a good proportion of cars are now lease and go back to the garages. Gone are the days of actually saving to buy a car. Maybe I'm being a little unfair as new cars do seem expensive.

I only buy private and autotrader did seem to be still the one to go to but it took a long time for the right car to get advertised. I did try a few traders because of the lack of private sales but quite frankly it soon became apparent that their reputation is well deserved and ended up getting an excellent car privately.

Master
    I like Private sales, i decide what im after, join owners/buy and sell pages for that marque on FB and generally a peach turns up, found a peach of a low mile V70 diesel that is now on my driveway now and doing 400 trouble free miles a week.
    But as said by others Market place, auto trader, ebay, neat houses, block paving with no weeds and tidy gardens draw my attention.

Craftsman
    TZ :)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    I like Private sales, i decide what im after, join owners/buy and sell pages for that marque on FB and generally a peach turns up, found a peach of a low mile V70 diesel that is now on my driveway now and doing 400 trouble free miles a week.
    But as said by others Market place, auto trader, ebay, neat houses, block paving with no weeds and tidy gardens draw my attention.
    Which is why, when I advertise a vehicle, I always park it on my neighbour's drive!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Which is why, when I advertise a vehicle, I always park it on my neighbour's drive!
    I kept wondering why cars appeared and disappeared!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman

thanks

Thanks for all your replies
    and useful information

Blog Entries
    give a try on cargurus.co.uk, pistonheads - also exchange & mart...