closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The rise in dog thefts in the UK.

Blog Entries

The rise in dog thefts in the UK.

It seems there has been a rise in dog thefts and all owners need to take care and precautions. Also writing to your MP might help to highlight the problem, the more letters they receive the more chance of changes to the law.

https://www.doglistener.co.uk/dramat...dogs-thefts-uk
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

My worst nightmare to be honest. My parents look after my Lucy during the week as I'm away working. About 24 months ago my Dad casually mentioned that he regularly left Lucy tied up outside the supermarket while he did a shop. After I told him that was one of the most common ways people loose their dogs to theft he stopped doing it, thankfully. He said he would never imagine people would do such a thing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    My worst nightmare to be honest. My parents look after my Lucy during the week as I'm away working. About 24 months ago my Dad casually mentioned that he regularly left Lucy tied up outside the supermarket while he did a shop. After I told him that was one of the most common ways people loose their dogs to theft he stopped doing it, thankfully. He said he would never imagine people would do such a thing.
    That's the problem, people just don't think for one minute someone would steal their dog. They would probably never have heard of the terrible things that can happen when they are stolen either. If I see a dog tied up outside a shop I'll tell the owner what can happen. Most are fine and say they just didn't realise, others are less than polite, but if one dog doesn't have to suffer I don't care.

It's a horrible subject, but until it gets more publicity and public outrage it will continue.

I have two dogs. One (Ossie) is a working Springer. I walk and train him every day in the sand dunes near where I live and have done since getting him at eight weeks. People sometimes watch when he is doing long retrieves or finding dummies that I have hidden. It’s not unusual to have people watching or asking about him. One day when he was about 8 months (he is now 18 months old) I heard him yelp in the dunes when he was out of sight. I ran over and found two fellas trying to take him. One had a slip lead so they had come prepared. He struggled and I chased so they panicked and ran. It was close though. I dread to think what would have happened. I am on a few gun dog sites and there are working dogs getting stolen all the time. Often places are being broken into to get them or they are being targeted at shows or field trials. I would be devastated if either of my two were stolen. They are family.....
    Last edited by Bluemoon7; 5th October 2019 at 18:27.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    That's the problem, people just don't think for one minute someone would steal their dog. They would probably never have heard of the terrible things that can happen when they are stolen either. If I see a dog tied up outside a shop I'll tell the owner what can happen. Most are fine and say they just didn't realise, others are less than polite, but if one dog doesn't have to suffer I don't care.

It's a horrible subject, but until it gets more publicity and public outrage it will continue.
    Like you I politely let people know the risks of leaving dogs unattended,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Dog thieves deserve some woof justice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoon7 View Post
    I have two dogs. One (Ossie) is a working Springer. I walk and train him every day in the sand dunes near where I live and have done since getting him at eight weeks. People sometimes watch when he is doing long retrieves or finding dummies that I have hidden. It’s not unusual to have people watching or asking about him. One day when he was about 8 months (he is now 18 months old) I heard him yelp in the dunes when he was out of sight. I ran over and found two fellas trying to take him. One had a slip lead so they had come prepared. He struggled and I chased so they panicked and ran. It was close though. I dread to think what would have happened. I am on a few gun dog sites and there are working dogs getting stolen all the time. Often places are being broken into to get them or they are being targeted at shows or field trials. I would be devastated if either of my two were stolen. They are family.....
    The people who steal dogs are well prepared, and good at what they do. Usually they will have meaty treats to lure dogs close enough to slip a lead on them. Often they hide in bushes on popular dog walking areas. Gardens are another area they look for. It takes seconds to lure a dog near enough to a fence to grab.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Dog thieves deserve some woof justice
    Let’s hope the police manage to collar the thieves.

I’m so close to my dog and it’s often mentioned the bond we have, if someone tried to take him I genuinely think I would react as if they were kidnapping a child.

I can see why dog owners have drowned trying to rescue their dogs now I have my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    Let’s hope the police manage to collar the thieves.
    These crimes can be hard to investigate. Sometimes the Police don’t have any leads.

I think this situation has been bad for a long time, my sister has been talking about it ever since I can remember.

Valuable puppies are targeted that they can sell on to make a quick buck

Master
    Also dogs stolen to be used as bait dogs. A scumbag in this part of the world was recently convicted of buying cats from Gumtree and the like to be used in that way. Evil.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...-west-49908430
    Last edited by seabiscuit; 6th October 2019 at 11:18. Reason: Link added

My dog is the only reason I have CCTV send smart fire alarms. He also has a tracker on his harness.

I really couldn't care less about my house and stuff, but if you tried to hurt my dog or wife...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Admittedly some dogs will be used for fighting but most thieves won't want to hurt your dog.

Master
    Blog Entries
    One plus side of me failing to train my dog well enough on her recall is that she is always on her lead when out and about.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoon7 View Post
    The thieves also target the pub car parks after a days shooting too, where the dogs are sometimes left sleeping in their cages in the back of the trucks while the guns/beaters have a pint and a pie.

Everyone I know takes their dogs home after the shoot nowadays. It isn't worth the risk.

Same happens here
    Hunting dogs are targeted usually before season starts
    Now the north border is open we get so many more thefts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Admittedly some dogs will be used for fighting but most thieves won't want to hurt your dog.
    I think the opposite is true. Not many dogs are stolen to be sold on.

Master
    I remember an Aunt of mine was cleaning her front windows whilst her dogs, two King Charles cavaliers, lounged around on the lawn about 20ft away.

A van pulled up, two guys got out and walked through the gate and picked up a dog each, got back in the van and drove off.

My Aunt was devastated, she was never quite the same afterwards and became a reclusive and very frightened lady after that.

A terrible crime that the police never really seemed to treat all that seriously...

I always think anyone who can hurt an animal is equally able to hurt children - they are both just vulnerable with feelings.

I think animal abuse and theft should be treated the same as child abuse and kidnapping. The moral corruption is the same.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I think the opposite is true. Not many dogs are stolen to be sold on.
    Stolen to keep for themselves then (like the hunting dogs mentioned) - why would they harm them?

Stolen to keep for themselves then (like the hunting dogs mentioned) - why would they harm them?
    Stolen for breeding or for training fighting dog's, well you did ask.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Journeyman

Dogs

As with a number of other crimes, dog thefts are largely perpetrated by those lovely travelling folk.

I only hope that Priti Patel( or the next Home Secretary/ Police Commisionar) clamp down hard on these people

Blog Entries
    Because not many dogs are stolen by people who want a family pet or people who want gundogs. And the monetary value would be low.
    The hunting dogs mentioned are in Cyprus where there is some terrible abuse of dogs used for hunting going on.

The majority of gun dogs stolen in this country would not be stolen for use as gundogs or for family pets. The shooting scene in the UK is not rife with people going out and stealing dogs. The dog fighting scene is however.

Because not many dogs are stolen by people who want a family pet or people who want gundogs. And the monetary value would be low.
    The hunting dogs mentioned are in Cyprus where there is some terrible abuse of dogs used for hunting going on.

The majority of gun dogs stolen in this country would not be stolen for use as gundogs or for family pets. The shooting scene in the UK is not rife with people going out and stealing dogs. The dog fighting scene is however.
    Bluemoon7 and Maysie both mentioned gundogs being targeted in the UK, haven't seen Cyprus mentioned.

Accept though, that dogs not being taken for family pets which I had assumed was the case.

Blog Entries
    Bluemoon7 and Maysie both mentioned gundogs being targeted in the UK, haven't seen Cyprus mentioned.

Accept though, that dogs not being taken for family pets which I had assumed was the case.
    Yes gun dogs are often targeted. They are often kept in outside kennels and runs, and left in vehicles after shoots, which the thieves find easier to target than homes. I've never heard of them being sold on as gun dogs, and I have been been around the shooting community for quite a few years.

Raptor mentioned "Same happens here Hunting dogs are targeted usually before season starts..." His location is Cyprus on his account so I assume "...here..." means Cyprus. They are not stolen to be kept as pets, hunting dogs are often just abandoned after the hunting season in Cyprus. Try Google 'hunting dogs Cyprus'.

Quote Originally Posted by raptor View Post
    Same happens here
    Hunting dogs are targeted usually before season starts
    Now the north border is open we get so many more thefts
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 7th October 2019 at 00:28.

Blog Entries
    Just a bump while people are talking about dogs, in case it helps a single dog avoid a terrible situation.

Grand Master
    It seems there has been a rise in dog thefts and all owners need to take care and precautions. Also writing to your MP might help to highlight the problem, the more letters they receive the more chance of changes to the law.

https://www.doglistener.co.uk/dramat...dogs-thefts-uk
    Good luck getting MPs involved anytime soon,or maybe I should have said "do anything".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Good luck getting MPs involved anytime soon,or maybe I should have said "do anything".
    There's always a chance. Take a look at 'Finn's Law' for an example of persistence and popular opinion paying off in the end. And achieved whilst the current crop of MPs sit wringing their hands over other 'issues'!

Blog Entries
    They are also braking into vehicles to steal, we have 'chipped & spayed' on our dog tags.

A friend's black lab was stolen, and found a few days later wandering in London, she had this message on her tag, hence we why believe she was released - it's the breeding potential that tempts these scumbags

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren View Post
    They are also braking into vehicles to steal, we have 'chipped & spayed' on our dog tags.

A friend's black lab was stolen, and found a few days later wandering in London, she had this message on her tag, hence we why believe she was released - it's the breeding potential that tempts these scumbags
    Unfortunately those unfit for breeding are often used for far more sinister purposes. And many are stolen with no intention to use them for breeding or selling on unfortunately. I don't think people realise the scale of it.