closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cheap or discount Netflix?

Blog Entries

Cheap or discount Netflix?

Other than paying full price as usual, is there any known way of buying (legitimate!) cheap or discounted Netflix subscriptions?

To be clear, I'm asking about legitimate discounts, not stolen accounts or illegitimately sub-let accounts.

Apparently Netflix now accept that people share accounts, and aren’t too bothered.

google search?

I think there’s a way of doing it through an overseas sub.
    I know Turkey was a favoured one at a fraction of the UK cost .

Blog Entries
    Thanks both.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Apparently Netflix now accept that people share accounts, and aren’t too bothered.

google search?
    Interesting, thanks. This surprises me, to say the least.

But even if Netflix tolerate it, it doesn't appeal to me. I don't want other people mucking around with my profile or even deleting it.

I'm willing to pay for my own account! I'd just rather pay a discounted rate for it. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    I think there’s a way of doing it through an overseas sub.
    I know Turkey was a favoured one at a fraction of the UK cost .
    Ah yes, one can sign up using a VPN. But, as far as I can tell, you are limited to the shows available in that region.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 31st October 2019 at 23:47.

If you have a sky subscription they were offering a joint bundle where Netflix worked out around £2 a month vs £8 via apple

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Thanks both.

Interesting, thanks. This surprises me, to say the least.

But even if Netflix tolerate it, it doesn't appeal to me. I don't want other people mucking around with my profile or even deleting it.

I'm willing to pay for my own account! I'd just rather pay a discounted rate for it. ;-)

Ah yes, one can sign up using a VPN. But, as far as I can tell, you are limited to the shows available in that region. And they do differ a lot, both movies and tv series.

you’re limited to what’s on that region if you use the vpn, I used to have a USA account for that reason because they had better stuff on at the time but you had to connect through a vpn every time or it reverts to what country you’re in, so it would be the same as having a uk account if you didn’t have it through the vpn.
    This is going back about 3 years now so it may have changed but maybe worth a punt with a 30 day trial

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    If you have a sky subscription they were offering a joint bundle where Netflix worked out around £2 a month vs £8 via apple
    Thanks. No Sky but that sounds good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    you’re limited to what’s on that region if you use the vpn, I used to have a USA account for that reason because they had better stuff on at the time but you had to connect through a vpn every time or it reverts to what country you’re in, so it would be the same as having a uk account if you didn’t have it through the vpn.
    This is going back about 3 years now so it may have changed but maybe worth a punt with a 30 day trial
    In the very recent past I had access to a Spanish account (don't ask) which I accessed from the UK without VPN. Even accessing it from the UK, Netflix knew that it was a Spanish account and only offered films and tv that were available to the Spanish market. From what I could see there was not a lot of difference between Spanish and UK market programme availability but there were some noticeable differences that annoyed me (oddly enough, mainly in older movies).

In terms of usability: Ratings were shown using Spanish ratings (not that this mattered to me)! UI language was changeable to English. All films and programmes with an English soundtrack could be heard in English. But many programmes with in-show on-screen text that was part of the programme (e.g. Sherlock) had the text in Spanish.

So, based upon my experience, it looks like you'd need a VPN to sign up to a non-local Netflix but, after that, it makes no difference even if you access it from your local IP address. At least that's how it was for me.

Master
    I’m sharing a family sub with 4 strangers on a Irish bulletin board . We each have our own avatar and when you go in it’s all your content .

costs around 28 euro for the year as the guy who set it up signed up via turkey

to be clear if you sign up via a foreign site then shut off the vpn you get UK content

Master
    In the very recent past I had access to a Spanish account (don't ask) which I accessed from the UK without VPN. Even accessing it from the UK, Netflix knew that it was a Spanish account and only offered films and tv that were available to the Spanish market. From what I could see there was not a lot of difference between Spanish and UK market programme availability but there were some noticeable differences that annoyed me (oddly enough, mainly in older movies).

In terms of usability: Ratings were shown using Spanish ratings (not that this mattered to me)! UI language was changeable to English. All films and programmes with an English soundtrack could be heard in English. But many programmes with in-show on-screen text that was part of the programme (e.g. Sherlock) had the text in Spanish.

So, based upon my experience, it looks like you'd need a VPN to sign up to a non-local Netflix but, after that, it makes no difference even if you access it from your local IP address. At least that's how it was for me.
    not my experience exactly the opposite in fact

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    costs around 28 euro for the year as the guy who set it up signed up via turkey
    This smacks of dishonesty to me. But, maybe it's just using the options available, even if one has to go looking for them?

Blog Entries
    I’m sharing a family sub with 4 strangers on a Irish bulletin board . We each have our own avatar and when you go in it’s all your content .
    Thanks. This method doesn't appeal to me since it requires you to trust people not to frak around with your profile watch list, watch things on your profile, or even delete your profile. Worse, a malicious actor could even lock everyone else out by changing the email address or password. It's not something I'd be happy with.

...Worse, a malicious actor could even lock everyone else out ...
    Mark, have you a thing against actors? (o; If not, it's not a phrase I'm used to...

P.S. I'm one of the suckers who pays £8.99 pm.

Blog Entries
    not my experience exactly the opposite in fact
    Yup, I appreciate that your experience matches what most people say.

However, I just checked and I still have access to the Spanish account. Accessing it from my UK IP address still gives me a Spanish experience: Spanish ratings, slightly different selection of content (mainly, as far as I can see, fewer old movies but additional Spanish programmes), in-programme on-screen text in Spanish in some programmes that have such text as part of the programme.

I've never accessed this account via a VPN to Spain so it would be interesting to do so and see if it looks any different again. But there are definitely differences between what I see on this Spanish account (accessing from my normal UK IP address) and what I see on a normal UK Netflix account accessing from the same UK IP.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 31st October 2019 at 23:49.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Mark, have you a thing against actors? (o; If not, it's not a phrase I'm used to...
    <chortle> Malicious roofing contractors are just as bad. ;-)

( For the avoidance of anyone's doubt, by "malicious actor" I just mean anyone acting in a malicious manner regardless of their career path. It's similar to references to "state actors" or "non-state actors" in terms of hackers.)

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    P.S. I'm one of the suckers who pays £8.99 pm.
    It does seem that any alternative to paying full rate requires compromises that do not appeal to me.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 31st October 2019 at 23:58.

Craftsman
    From a purely risk reward basis you have 2 options.

Share an account and take the risk someone will play around with your profile or...
    Pay full price. You can’t always have it both ways.

8.99 is not exactly ‘alot’ if you plan to watch it regularly.

By the time you factor in a cheap vpn and reduced rates in Turkey or wherever you can’t be far off the standard price. Seems like a lot of effort for not much

Now I get that Netflix is a big evil corporate just like sky et al. However in my opinion they offer a service that is value for money.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean89 View Post
    8.99 is not exactly ‘alot’ if you plan to watch it regularly.
    No, it's not much but £8.99 with a 5 or 10% discount would have been better still. ;-)

It's often possible to find ways of buying online services with cashback or discounted vouchers but Netflix don't want to play. I guess they're doing too well!

This being so, I am surprised they allow what must be obvious to them sharing of accounts but perhaps it suits them to do so for now.

P.S. And it's £11.99 per month for Ultra HD. Not that there is much available on Ultra HD yet.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 1st November 2019 at 00:12.

I still pay the original £5.99 a month but for the standard definition version. I’m too cheap to pay for HD. When it came up on screen to say it was going up there was a reject option so I just selected that.

Craftsman

This being so, I am surprised they allow what must be obvious to them sharing of accounts but perhaps it suits them to do so for now.
    IMO people sharing accounts are less likely to cancel as perceived better value for money.

It’s no different to people sharing their SkyGo etc accounts between families.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by champagne_james View Post
    I still pay the original £5.99 a month but for the standard definition version. I’m too cheap to pay for HD. When it came up on screen to say it was going up there was a reject option so I just selected that.
    SD is still available at 5.99.

Craftsman
    I can understand people negotiating and shopping around to save money on a £120 Sky package but £5.99/£7.99 Netflix? That's barely more than a price of a coffee every month and half the price of a TV licence.

I have Netflix and Amazon Prime. Plenty to watch at a fraction of Sky prices and that's without hunting around for discounts. I value my time too much and set limits on what I'll spend time trying to save money on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    I can understand people negotiating and shopping around to save money on a £120 Sky package but £5.99/£7.99 Netflix?
    LOL! We all spend our money as we wish, or save our money as we wish.

Blog Entries
    (Removed reply to deleted message)
    Last edited by markrlondon; 1st November 2019 at 01:21. Reason: Removed reply to deleted message

Master
    The only way I’m aware of that (I don’t believe) has been mentioned is “bundling” some mobile phone providers will offer a streaming service as part of their packages.

I love Netflix, tbh it nearly the only thing I watch I pay for the hd package which I think just went up to £11.99 a month, yes I know it’s possible to use others accounts but I prefer the suggested films and being able to stop and watch the film later in the same place
    Plus I want to fund the new netflix films and series

Cheap or discount Netflix?

£11.99 for 4 devices. I pay £8.99 for 2.

Family all use it (obviously only 2 at once) and we all have our own recommendations etc. and would be same if shared with anyone else.

Rather shabby to use VPNs IMO - might not be illegal but it’s usually against their T&Cs. Presumably Netflix could take action if they wished.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 1st November 2019 at 09:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    I love Netflix, tbh it nearly the only thing I watch I pay for the hd package which I think just went up to £11.99 a month, yes I know it’s possible to use others accounts but I prefer the suggested films and being able to stop and watch the film later in the same place
    Plus I want to fund the new netflix films and series
    I agree, I think it is good value for the quality of programmes I have watched over the past year of my subscription.

Master
    You can get a student discount on pretty much everything these days (had Prime at half price for 3 years, and I still have 20% off my O2 Airtime plan), apart from Netflix. If they won't do a student discount, I doubt they'll give anyone one.

Master
    Yup, I appreciate that your experience matches what most people say.

However, I just checked and I still have access to the Spanish account. Accessing it from my UK IP address still gives me a Spanish experience: Spanish ratings, slightly different selection of content (mainly, as far as I can see, fewer old movies but additional Spanish programmes), in-programme on-screen text in Spanish in some programmes that have such text as part of the programme.

I've never accessed this account via a VPN to Spain so it would be interesting to do so and see if it looks any different again. But there are definitely differences between what I see on this Spanish account (accessing from my normal UK IP address) and what I see on a normal UK Netflix account accessing from the same UK IP.
    i wonder is some of that user settings and user personalisation related to the spanish owner of the account.

only way to really check is find out if there is a show / movie on uk net flix that isnt on spain and see if its there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Rather shabby to use VPNs IMO - might not be illegal but it’s usually against their T&Cs. Presumably Netflix could take action if they wished.
    fair enough you are entitled to your opinion but i have subs with sky, amazon, netflix, youtube and spotify, if there is a way for me to access them cheaper than ill take it, if they shut down the loophole then so be it as well.

Craftsman

Netflix could prevent access through VPN's easily, lots of other providers have done it. Its not in their interest. Netflix get their subscription regardless of what region a VPN says you are in, and thats how they want it.
    They do the minimum required to comply with any regulations, but its only the minimum.

That Netflix haven't closed this 'loophole' doesn't make it right to exploit.

If they broke any T&Cs or service agreement we'd probably be up in arms.

Master
    That Netflix haven't closed this 'loophole' doesn't make it right to exploit.

If they broke any T&Cs or service agreement we'd probably be up in arms.
    in your opinion. are netflix not exploiting the residents of northern europe by charging multiples of what they charge people in india or turkey?

Craftsman
    in your opinion. are netflix not exploiting the residents of northern europe by charging multiples of what they charge people in india or turkey?
    .. Are they? In your opinion they may be, in others opinion they may not.

No, they are charging what they deem is the market rate. Hardly exploitation, no-one has to use their service.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    .. Are they? In your opinion they may be, in others opinion they may not.
    they are charging what they feel the market will bear.

My opinion is that if the VPN loophole is there its ok to use it. if they close it they close it. Would i pay full price for the HD sub i am currently using, no, i wouldnt.

Master
    No, they are charging what they deem is the market rate. Hardly exploitation, no-one has to use their service.
    i am happy to use the service at a certain price, if i cant get it for that price i wont bother. Its within their gift to prevent me from doing so.

I really dont see the issue.

i am happy to use the service at a certain price, if i cant get it for that price i wont bother. Its within their gift to prevent me from doing so.

I really dont see the issue.
    You seem to be making an issue here.

If you want to take advantage of something you're not entitled to, carry on.

Master
    You seem to be making an issue here.

If you want to take advantage of something you're not entitled to, carry on.
    No you are making the issue, you are the one that called the use of VPN shabby.

what am i not entitled to and on what basis?

No you are making the issue, you are the one that called the use of VPN shabby.

what am i not entitled to and on what basis?
    In my opinion shabby, that’s all, shouldn’t be an issue for you.

W/o having the T&Cs in front of me, I believe you are entitled to watch content provided in your region

Master
    In my opinion shabby, that’s all, shouldn’t be an issue for you.

W/o having the T&Cs in front of me, I believe you are entitled to watch content provided in your region
    ok so you dont know really. glad we cleared that up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    The only way I’m aware of that (I don’t believe) has been mentioned is “bundling” some mobile phone providers will offer a streaming service as part of their packages.
    Thanks. That's interesting. I'd not noticed that but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Blog Entries
    i wonder is some of that user settings and user personalisation related to the spanish owner of the account.
    Well, all settings and all profiles are equally visible and accessible to all users on the account. There is only one account username and password so all users have the same access and admin privs. As far as I can see, there are no settings that would cut out or include any particular programmes -- it's all a matter of what Netflix chooses to provide.

I may have missed a setting somewhere. Do you know of any that might make a difference?

I've connected to the default profile but there's nothing in there that seems to be able to change anything in this context.

only way to really check is find out if there is a show / movie on uk net flix that isnt on spain and see if its there.
    One example that is available on a UK account but not on this Spanish account is the movie Ultraviolet. No matter what settings I change, I can't make it appear to watch on the Spanish account. The listing/search algorithm on the Spanish account suggests similar films but it's just not available to view, whereas it is found and is watchable on a UK account.

Blog Entries
    they are charging what they feel the market will bear.
    Indeed, they are being good capitalists by charging what the markets will variously bear.

That being so, good capitalism is available to everyone, both suppliers and customers. If a customer can obtain a better rate (note, it is still a rate that the supplier is willing to accept) then so be it -- that is good capitalism too. One is surely no more or less saintly than the other. ;-)

Master
    Is the picture quality reduced if streamed via VPN?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Is the picture quality reduced if streamed via VPN?
    Not intentionally. The picture quality will be as good as (a) the overall bandwidth supports and (b) what you have paid for.

Master
    Not intentionally. The picture quality will be as good as (a) the overall bandwidth supports and (b) what you have paid for.
    Thank you for that.