closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Have a great Halloween

Have a great Halloween

Have a great Halloween everyone.

Yes, great fun with several cars in our road having their wing mirrors kicked off including mine as part of mischief night - any other great American traditions that we should be embracing like mass shootings.

It was duck apples when I was a kid and while I'm at it, why does bonfire night run from late Sept until New Year's Eve and during the half term people letting off fireworks during the day whilst the sun is shining.

Don't want to be a miserable old git, but this is getting rather stupid.

Blog Entries

Have a great Halloween

Same for you!

Halloween isn't big here on the Continent. Has to do with the Christian tradition of All Saints Day and that's not associated with candy and fun.

However, slowly but surely a lot of Anglo-American people are crossing towards Europe (my wifeyiu being one of them) and they have introduced it here as well. My youngest turned 16 the other day and his party had the Halloween-theme. I've bought a lot of candy for the kids; our neighbourhood has more and more young families with younger children. I hope for a 'trick or treat'-fest tonight.

In Amsterdam (with a lot of Anglo-American expats) is has become common knowledge that kids only ring the doors of houses where there's a pumpkin-ish sign near the front door: a real pumpkin, a pic with a pumpkin etc.

At my wife's workplace, Halloween is quite a big thing.

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 31st October 2019 at 17:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Yes, great fun with several cars in our road having their wing mirrors kicked off including mine as part of mischief night - any other great American traditions that we should be embracing like mass shootings.

It was duck apples when I was a kid and while I'm at it, why does bonfire night run from late Sept until New Year's Eve and during the half term people letting off fireworks during the day whilst the sun is shining.

I think the Americans have taken a British tradition and spoiled it like they do with everything else. With regards to mischief night, that needs to be stamped out very quickly.

When I was a kid, we walked around with turnip lanterns and occasionally tied string to people's door knockers, pulled them and ran. This was back in the 50s.

Master
    My birthday and the little gits won’t share their sweets, not getting any of mine!

Quote Originally Posted by ajdh View Post
    I think the Americans have taken a British tradition and spoiled it like they do with everything else. With regards to mischief night, that needs to be stamped out very quickly.

When I was a kid, we walked around with turnip lanterns and occasionally tied string to people's door knockers, pulled them and ran. This was back in the 50s.
    You earned your "penny for the lantern" when you had to hollow out a bl**dy turnip to make it! Pumpkins my ar*e!

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s bloody massive here in New York been here all day on our Cruise, there are people all over, dressed up with loads of makeup etc

The parade on 6th Avenue started building early afternoon its bedlam now. The bloody ship had a massive Halloween party the other night so not to clash with tonight, I am bloody fed up with it.

Blog Entries
    My wife told me that one of her colleagues in Atlanta had planned to take a trolley when going around the neighbourhood with her kids: "Last year the came back with 30 pounds of candy!"(...) That equals 13.5 kilos!

Madness.

In my street, only a handful of smaller kids with their parents came for 'trick or treat'. I decided to cut down the amount candy after hearing my wife's story. So it was only a few pieces of liqourice (called 'drop' in Dutch) and tangerines. I'd bought plenty of those. Sad kids, happy parents.

Next up: Black Friday. And for us, the season starts with 'Sinterklaas'.

Master

I would guess that those horrid little kids who kicked off your wing mirrors were spawned by some of those horrid people who frequent the BP. Horrid parents breed horrible kids.

We have Halloween over here in Spain and the kids go out in a gang of around 30 and they are good natured, enjoy themselves and actually cheer the rest of us up.

Sell your place in the UK and move out here, you won't regret it.

Master
    Apparently the damage seems to be Merseyside wide

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ancashire.html

Fantastic advert for the area and investment for jobs.

B

Grand Master

100% agree,around our area it was mentioned on FB that kids were knocking on the doors and grabbing all the sweet tin and ruining away.........nice kids!.

Very different world to when I was a kid,although I was really really bad!,On many occasions one guys house had string tied to his dustbin and door by me I
    knocked on his door and ran away.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 1st November 2019 at 11:08.

Master
    saw that 'mischief night' thing on the local news. When did wanton vandalism become some fun tradition? Next thing will be 'The Purge' for real.