closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Issues with Uber, potential fraud

Master

Issues with Uber, potential fraud

I’ve been using Uber, via my corporate Amex card for some time now and have never had any issues, until yesterday.
    I’m working over in Dublin this week and have been using the service fine.
    Yesterday morning, as usual, I request a car and it seems to get picked up, and am told who the driver is and that he’s on his way but then the driver drops me. Thinking it’s just the driver having second thoughts, I repeat the process and get a different driver but exactly the same thing happens.
    On the 3rd attempt, I get my car and all seems well, until, that is, I get receipt emails from Uber to my work account for the 2 “dropped’ trips. Trips which I didn’t take and are pretty much at the same time as the trip I did actually but are significant more but for very short journeys.
    I attempt to find a way to contact Uber but finally give in on talking to someone and email them the details, for which I’m awaiting any reply.
    I speak with Amex, who are much more helpful and tell me to sit tight, as they can’t do anything until the charges actually hit my account, at which time they’ll take action.
    I check my Amex account this morning and sure enough, there are the 2 bogus charges, so I’ll be contacting Amex to let them deal with it but just wondered if anyone else has had this happen to them and what the outcome was?
    Last edited by alanm_3; 31st October 2019 at 08:59.

Master
    Common, unfortunately. I stopped using Uber because of this, I think the driver claims no pick up was made and then charges you some kind of cancellation fee. Sometimes I’d get 3-4 in a row in London, all billed and no easy way to dispute.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Thanks for that. The strange thing here is that the receipt shows a very small journey but a very high charge.
    I’m not confident of Uber being cooperative, so I’ll pass it over to Amex and let them sort it out.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Could you report back how you get on? Amex normally ask if you’ve raised an issue with the supplier first, but they may put the charge on hold while it’s resolved.

Master
    Found this - might be worth trying before you hand over to Amex

https://help.uber.com/riders/article...ea-4852-832c-*

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Whenever I've had a charge I've not agreed with (e.g. because the driver has gone to the wrong pickup point or I've cancelled because it's taking far longer than predicted to arrive), I've just pressed the 'Review my fare or fees' button and have received an instant refund.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Whenever I've had a charge I've not agreed with (e.g. because the driver has gone to the wrong pickup point or I've cancelled because it's taking far longer than predicted to arrive), I've just pressed the 'Review my fare or fees' button and have received an instant refund.
    Same here - this has only ever happened to me in London tbh though

Master
    as an aside dont bother with uber in ireland, the only people who can legally offer uber services are taxis, hence its not used very often as its no cheaper than a regular taxi.

The main taxi app here is free now, formerly mytaxi, formerly hailo. Much higher uptake here and you will get a car more quickly.

Master

Issues with Uber, potential fraud

Funilly enough, I used the my taxi app this morning and despite the destination being clearly visible on his phone as I sat watching it, he took me to the wrong place and said it was my fault!

Master
    Ps, the app is now called “free now”

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    as an aside dont bother with uber in ireland, the only people who can legally offer uber services are taxis, hence its not used very often as its no cheaper than a regular taxi.

The main taxi app here is free now, formerly mytaxi, formerly hailo. Much higher uptake here and you will get a car more quickly.
    When you say taxis, do you mean Hackney’s?
    All Uber cars in the UK are supposed to be licensed as either Hackney or private hire.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    When you say taxis, do you mean Hackney’s?
    All Uber cars in the UK are supposed to be licensed as either Hackney or private hire.
    no must be registered taxis with taxi plates, so similar to a black cab in london.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Ps, the app is now called “free now”
    yep i mentioned that in my post :) what a stupid name for a taxi app.

dublin taxi drivers can be hit and miss.

Master
    Just to conclude this, I contacted Amex fraud department as soon as the 2 spurious charges appeared on my account. Within the day, they had both been investigated and removed from my account. No further explanation was given but they certainly acted quickly, which was a relief.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    I recall a couple of years back in Miami I had a similar incident. Never got picked up but got a bill. I’m sure I mailed Uber and they said I wasnt at the pick up point according to the driver, I explained I was and wanted the charge removing or refunded. They refunded it straight away.

My assumption is the driver got notice of a better deal so dropped mine as it would have only been a couple of miles or so. Hard to prove bit thats what I think happened.

Stuart