closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Natwest online - sms entry code

Master

Natwest online - sms entry code

Natwest have fairly recently introduced this for access to your account as an anti fraud solution. But I get it every time I want log in to any account.
    Reading the blurb on the page whilst waiting for the code to appear it doesn't seem that it should happen every time, only whenever there has been anything inconsistent, a failed log in for instance.
    Does anyone else who uses it get asked every time? I usually don't have my phone with me or even on in the evenings so it can be a real pita.
    Yes I understand and appreciate the fraud prevention side and if everyone gets it all the time so be it but I just wondered if they do.

Master
    Have it with both NatWest and RBS but don't get it all the time.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

This sort of multi factor authentication can usually be toned down from occuring every time, to just occasionally. Anything in your account's security settings to let you tweak it?

Master
    If I log on a few times through just my laptop it stops for a but, same for just my phone. If I use both (which I frequently do!) then it's pretty much a constant.

Master
    That may be the cause as I use 2 or 3 different access points and have several logins. I think I shall have to speak to them and see but it seems I'll just have to live with it.

I’m with Natwest and I don’t get it. Only time I get a sms is when paying someone new or amending existing payment details. I use my phone and iPad apps and work laptop mostly

Sounds like you’ve got a two step authentication set up somewhere

I'm with RBS (same systems as NatWest) and I get a code by SMS every time I use online banking. I do tend to alternate between the mobile app on my phone and the web version on my PC.

IT's quite canny of the banks - instead of putting appropriate security in place themselves, they are handing it off to your mobile provider. This is why there is so much "SIM takeover" fraud occurring.

I’ve never had to do this, I only use the NatWest app though.

I also get this every time I go onto Natwest via my laptop

It's a royal pain in the arse when you don't have a phone or mobile coverage at your house. I need to talk to the bank and set up something else as it's happening every time to me and it cost me an Expedition purchase.

Craftsman
    See the blurb everyone but haven't yet been asked for a code

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Likewise, I do all my NatWest banking on my iPad/iPhone (great app, by the way, the only thing that keeps me loyal to NW), and I’ve never encountered this.

Master
    2 step verification is the 'way forward' apparently. We have it at work on microsoft accounts. Log in on a different machine and an sms code is sent to the phone you register with the account. I get it on the Nat West when I log in. I think the app is tailored to you hence no need to get a code.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    It's a royal pain in the arse when you don't have a phone or mobile coverage at your house. I need to talk to the bank and set up something else as it's happening every time to me and it cost me an Expedition purchase.
    This assumption by Natwest that everyone has a working mobile phone in there pocket caused me a couple of weeks ago to finally terminate my relationship with the company. After 40 years of being a customer I've finally given up with natwest. The final straw was a credit card transaction that failed because it wanted to send me a text. To rub salt in the wound I couldn't satisfy the security questions from their telephone fraud help desk because web access to their online account system is also now discontinued (which I needed to answer the questions). Basically if you don't have a mobile phone (and it has to be a smart phone) that is always able to get a connection then you might as well give up with natwest. btdt.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    I'm with RBS (same systems as NatWest) and I get a code by SMS every time I use online banking. I do tend to alternate between the mobile app on my phone and the web version on my PC.

IT's quite canny of the banks - instead of putting appropriate security in place themselves, they are handing it off to your mobile provider. This is why there is so much "SIM takeover" fraud occurring.
    This happened to my gf - she was moved to O2 and it was very hard work to get it back. Fortunately she could freeze her bank when realised what is going on. The VPN, accounting etc. all use 2FA but via authenticator app banks should offer this I feel and SMS for those without the app - if my router can manage email, SMS or app you would think the banks could offer similar.

I am with TSB and so far they haven't implemented this.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    Natwest have fairly recently introduced this for access to your account as an anti fraud solution. But I get it every time I want log in to any account.
    Reading the blurb on the page whilst waiting for the code to appear it doesn't seem that it should happen every time, only whenever there has been anything inconsistent, a failed log in for instance.
    Does anyone else who uses it get asked every time? I usually don't have my phone with me or even on in the evenings so it can be a real pita.
    Yes I understand and appreciate the fraud prevention side and if everyone gets it all the time so be it but I just wondered if they do.
    Yup - I get it every time. Can be a pain in the arse because I tend to have regular banking habits.

I have to say that I want it for the banking. I never use anything to do with my bank for online purchases - paypal or credit card only.

I guess you will have to suck it up and live with it - like me :-).

B
    Last edited by Brian; 31st October 2019 at 11:33.

Master
    Slightly reassured it isn't just me.
    We have a very old "longhouse" and as such its 2 lengths of the house and the stairs to fetch my phone just to log in. Frequently I won't bother. First world problems I know.
    I have found that if the phone is on and working then the text is almost instant. If not it can take a few minutes to arrive. I haven't yet been logged out of the online system waiting for the text but its only a matter of time!