closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cherished Plate - Car Accident ..

Cherished Plate - Car Accident ..

No 2 son was involved in a serious RTA today - an elderly driver pulled out onto a roundabout without looking, and T-boned my son's VW Fox.

The car rolled, and is clearly a write-off. Thankfully the boy is not badly hurt, just shaken and bruised - they are sturdy little cars.
    My son had a dash-cam and three witnesses stopped to speak with the police.

The other drivers insurance co have contacted us to admit liability, but I need to understand the protocol to recover his cherished reg, and the plates.

The car is in the police holding compound, and the other drivers insurance co (Hastings) want to recover it to their compound asap.

I'm keen that we don't delay the assessors report, but need to ensure that the plate is not considered as part of any settlement value.
    Can anyone advise on how we proceed, and at what point we contact Swansea to put the plate on retention, please.

Solid facts rather than pub speculation would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by W124; 30th October 2019 at 00:11.

Don’t worry about the plate.

There will be opportunities to take it off.

After a similar experience I started the retention process online immediately after the accident and informed my insurer and this didn’t affect the claim process.

You could even add the retention fee to your claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phew! Glad he's OK but there must have been some speed involved to roll the car like that?

Can't help with the plate, but like I say, glad the boy's OK

Hope he is ok

Right get plate on retention asap do it online you will get retention doc within 7-10 days imho

https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehi...ate-number-off

Master
    You need to get the plate into retention before the car is written off, otherwise it goes with car.
    Glad to hear your boy is ok.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Glad to hear your boy is ok. As mentioned above, get the plate on retention now and you will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Hope he is ok

Right get plate on retention asap do it online you will get retention doc within 7-10 days imho

https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehi...ate-number-off
    Reading that, it says ‘the vehicle must be able to move under its own power’ (though maybe it can).

Don’t see why the physical plates are important.

Glad your lad’s ok BTW.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That looks very serious,I am glad your son is OK but please keep a close watch in case it effects him later.

Glad your boy is ok, one of my worst nightmares to be honest.

Thanks to all

He was doing around 35 mph on a 60 limit dual carriageway, exiting a roundabout when he was hit side-on.
    The paramedics were there within 10 minutes, and he is back to the local infirmary for a full check-up tomorrow.

I'll take no chances and get it on retention tomorrow morning.

Glad he is alright, get the plate onto a retention certificate asap, if the insurance write the car off with the reg still 'assigned' to it then they own the reg as well. Physical plates don't matter.

There was a great thread about something similar on piston heads last year, the short version was someone ex defaulted on their car repayments which has a v valuable reg on it. The company took it all back including the reg, stripped the reg off it and sold it for 10,000s, Lawyers involved, and lots and lots and lots of compensation paid back - moral of the story 60ish quid for a retention cert and she would have not had the trouble in the first place.
    Last edited by eldrich; 30th October 2019 at 02:24.

Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post
    Solid facts rather than pub speculation would be appreciated.
    We should put this in every post in the G&D. My contributions might dry up though.

PS
    Hope your son is ok.

Blog Entries
    Glad that he walked away from that! This could have been a totally different thread. Was he checked by ambulance personnel or a doctor?

Master
    There's a good reason you see lots of cherished numbers for sale at breakers yards!

Get it off without delay.

Glad your son is OK.

Glad your son is OK, looks pretty horrific.

As others have said get the plate on retention asap, you can do this all online. I know somebody who lost their plate as he had talked about it with his insurance company who told him they would inform him before they wrote the car off, they never did and he lost the plate. Did fight with them for a while but all pretty fruitless in the end. For him the worst part is that somebody local to him then acquired the plate and he regularly see “his” plate on their car.

The car/vehicle and number plate are still your property to do whatever you like.
    Get the plate on retention, which nowadays doesn't take long at all then let the insurance companies sort it out.

Master
    This happened to me a while back and I had to apply back to DVLA to reinstate my plate. Was a bit of a palaver as I had to prove the car was written off and scrapped without my consent - I was still negotiating settlement figure.

This was pre online days to taking it off now while you have everything is way to go. Keep all paperwork, dates and communications worst case though.

Likewise, am glad to hear he is OK.

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    You need to get the plate into retention before the car is written off, otherwise it goes with car.
    Glad to hear your boy is ok.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

My understanding is if the car is written off, and/ or is not capable, or would fail an MOT the cherished plate is not transferable.
    It then reverts back to DVLA. Be under no illusion, you don't own it, DVLA do. You have just paid for the right to use it subject to their conditions being met.
    You may well be able to circumvent this by putting it on retention, which if I were you and wanted to keep it, I would do on line now.
    They will check it has a valid MOT and it is insured.
    I can't remember if you have to answer a question about the vehicle being roadworthy.
    Honest John discussed this in his column at least 5 times over the summer. Check his website.
    Good luck.

Sent from my BBF100-1 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just a heads up, I’ve been through this process in the past 2 weeks as my car was stolen/ recovered and ultimately deemed beyond economical repair.
    As a result I was unable to retain the plate online and had to send the V5 and V137 form plus the £80 retention fee to DVLA in order to retain my private plate. I informed my insurer I wanted to do this and this was communicated to the salvage company. My insurers also issued me with a letter to send to DVLA stating they had no interest in the plate despite it initially having a stolen marker against it, unfortunately this marker and the fact the plate was on my car when stolen means despite now having the retention certificate back I cannot assign the plate to another car for 6 months.
    The plate retention certificate and replacement V5 showing the car on its original plate were with me 8 days after sending the forms, covering insurers letter and fee. Final thing was to go online and confirm the salvage company as the new owners via the Gov website, destroy the yellow section of the V5 ( section 4 from memory) and then send the V5 off to the salvage firm. The whole process was detailed in an email from LV once they had paid out for the car so simple to follow.
    Anyway, glad your lad is ok but as long as your insurers are aware you want the plate retained before scrapping this should be fairly painless.