closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: where do you buy your used watches

Craftsman

where do you buy your used watches

Theres always a hefty hit on the flipping price for the first purchase of a watch, so it seems a well cared for 2nd hand watch is preferable.
    That begs the question, where do you source your 2nd hand watches?

- Chrono24 used prices are not all that much lower than new (at least for Sinn, which is what im searching for). perhaps 100 quid but id pay that premium for a brand new one.
    - most watch recon are in the US, and come with heavy import duty, negating any real savings.
    - ebay has the same problem as chrono24, high asking prices, in some cases higher than the new prices! not sure who they expect to buy these!
    - the sales corner here doesnt seem to have a huge amount in it of late and from what i read here, it seems its not as pleasant or fruitful place as it once was so good forum members dont use it so much.

I think the answer is all of the above, depending on which watch I am buying. You could try a WTB.

Alternately, find a dealer offering discount based in the EU if possible. Most on-line UK dealers seem to offer 10% off just for signing up for e-mails. Sounds like new with any available discount is the way to go rather rather than buy second hand with the risk of associated wear or damage.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I think the answer is all of the above, depending on which watch I am buying. You could try a WTB.

Alternately, find a dealer offering discount based in the EU if possible. Most on-line UK dealers seem to offer 10% off just for signing up for e-mails. Sounds like new with any available discount is the way to go rather rather than buy second hand with the risk of associated wear or damage.
    Sinn dont do discounts unfortunately

Craftsman
    You must be able to find an EU based retailer that does have a discount code offer?
    Rather than buying direct from Sinn

Journeyman
    SC, WTB, Watchfinder seems overpriced

You can get a decent discount from Watchfinder if you buy outright and don't trade anything in. I've bought two watches from them, both were in absolutely as new condition, they must have either never been worn or very skilfully refurbished. I got discounts of roughly 12 percent on both. Very happy customer.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    - the sales corner here doesnt seem to have a huge amount in it of late and from what i read here, it seems its not as pleasant or fruitful place as it once was so good forum members dont use it so much.
    Not if you go by H&V. Over two pages of hero posts in the last week alone. SC, WTB, PMs. Lots of ways to buy on the forum.

Craftsman
    Sourced the last two watches I was looking for here in SC

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

- most watch recon are in the US, and come with heavy import duty
    At the risk of being pedantic, there is no import duty payable on the importation of single watches into the UK. There is, however, 20% VAT payable, along with any fees which the carrier may charge.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    At the risk of being pedantic, there is no import duty payable on the importation of single watches into the UK. There is, however, 20% VAT payable, along with any fees which the carrier may charge.
    I'm not sure that risk paid off!

Sinn dont do discounts unfortunately

Iguana Sell UK have the cheapest Sinn watches I have found and are an authorised dealer. Jura watches will also price match so they may match what Iguana Sell are selling for and with Jura I think you can buy through Quidco and topcashback so may get money back on top with them too.

Blog Entries
    I mostly look on SC for my watches or a WTB. There are many re-sellers (https://watches.co.uk etc etc - some representation on this very forum) that sell second hand at discount - if you avoid Rolex and Patek. Also swisswatchesdirect etc will get you a brand new import with guarantee from EU with maybe 20% discount off MRP. There are others.

Happy hunting

SC, WTB, or via PM works. I’ve bought (and sold) all my watches via the forum over the past few years. This is still a great place for this hobby, ‘buy the seller’ and you can’t go far wrong.

SC for me. I’m still quite new here, so can’t yet reply directly but have successfully bought a couple of watches from the forum via PM’s.

I was obviously wary at first but the H&V section put my mind at ease. The occasional thread does seem to,degenerate into daft squabbling but in general it seems to be a fairly good natured place, with nice watches at fair prices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Surely Neil at Chronomaster for Sinn?

Journeyman
    Iguana Sell were the cheapest for my EZM3. What Sinn are you looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I picked up a used Sinn EZM3 in an independent high street jeweller a couple of months ago.

Price was comparable to lower end of Chrono 24, but obviously I had the comfort of seeing and handling before buying.

I've bought a number of watches from SC in the past and always had good experiences.

I wouldn't be put off by the odd spat. Buy the seller, of course.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    Bought my last two from SC. Very happy with both.

Craftsman
    I use this guy (aka chrono24)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much exclusively - here.........

8 so far (I think).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Capcarrot View Post
    Iguana Sell were the cheapest for my EZM3. What Sinn are you looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I'll give them a look, thanks. I'm looking for a sinn 356 on bracelet.

Craftsman
    I’ve bought a few from Watchfinder, some straight buys and others have been against a trade in. Prices are sometimes a little high depending on model but they’re a business so not entirely surprising.

I like to have a good choice, and being ultra fussy, a multiple of a particular model really helps.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just back from Berlin today and stumbled across a shop called manufactum.de

Keep to the German side of their web site for Sinn

It’s a marque I know nothing about so I could be wide of the mark but they seemed well priced.

Jim

Mostly on eBay.com, eBay.co.uk, and eBay.de...several hundred over the past 15+ years, maybe 300-400!

Gone off eBay, not partial to a 100% mark up on a 2nd hand Microbrand. I prefer to wait and see what’s on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk