closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BMW G20 (2019) 3 series iDrive 7 - Advice please?

BMW G20 (2019) 3 series iDrive 7 - Advice please?

I now have a new BMW 330e M Sport with the iDrive v7.
    I used to have a Mercedes C300h AMG line and for a short while a Lexus UX250h & CT200h.

Both the Mercedes and the Lexus allowed me to have two separate phones connected simultaneously as long as they were not performing the same tasks i.e. the iPhone for blue tooth media playback and the Android phone for calls. This was configurable in the phone set up menu by ticking/un-ticking certain boxes of priority etc.
    I need this as my Android is the personal phone and the iPhone my work phone although it has my iTunes library on it and I therefore (after 5pm and on weekends) need to be able to listen to it whilst still making/taking hands-free calls on the Android.
    This capability with the Mercedes and Lexus systems allowed me to listen to music or podcasts/apps via the iPhone whilst still having the Android phone connected for calls.
    Are there any BMW drivers out there that may have come across this and can advise me if it's simply a setting I have not yet found or if this is a real system limitation?

Also, my Apple Car Play takes around 10-15 minutes to load and display the shortcut icon on start up. On some shorter trips this makes it pointless as I'm almost there by the time I can use it!
    I have noticed that on my iPhone there are lots of email address etc. being pulled through with my contacts, when all I want are the phone contacts. I have to scroll through reams of them to even get to the first phone number contact starting with 'A'. Even then, there are a few emails randomly spread throughout the phone contacts.
    This drives me nuts and it has also occurred to me that this could also be, at least partially responsible for the slow loading of Apple Car Play?

Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Neil.
    Last edited by Orange Peel; 29th October 2019 at 11:12.

Whilst I await the flood of advice and suggestions there's also the issue of neither of my phones (iPhone 7 and Galaxy 'Alpha') ringing through the car speakers?
    The phones connect, work and do just about everything apart from the ringtone plating through the car. This means missed calls if I'm listening to music as it usually drwons out the standard phone speaker ringtone.

Anyone else had this and solved it?

BMW are clueless it seems?

Presumably you are connecting to carplay via cable?

If so - this disconnects bluetooth connectivity to other devices resulting in one single device only. I haven't found a way around this myself although haven't researched for a good while (I have an XC40).

Only way I've got round this is call divert. Not ideal but I use carplay a hell of a lot

Master
    Ive got the same car

no idea about the 2 phones. My phone connects pretty instantly to car play, the only issue I have is if my wife uses it and connects hers, sometimes it can then take longer to connect mine. Have you personalised a key, I think in the profile it identifies which phone is yours and connects automatically (I may be wrong though)

Do you have enhanced Bluetooth? if so that can register 2 phones. If not it can be easily coded into your system

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Presumably you are connecting to carplay via cable?

If so - this disconnects bluetooth connectivity to other devices resulting in one single device only. I haven't found a way around this myself although haven't researched for a good while (I have an XC40).

Only way I've got round this is call divert. Not ideal but I use carplay a hell of a lot
    Hi and thanks.
    No I'm not connected to car play and when I do it's via Bluetooth.
    I realised the issue with CP a few days ago and now only use the iDrive. Only reason I wanted CP was better functionality when playing BT media i.e. music or podcasts etc.

My main issue now is that my p[hones don't ring thru the cars speakers so can't be heard if I'm listening to music? The music should turn down/off for incoming calls (as it does for SatNav announcements) but it doesn't.

Also, my iPhone seems to pull through all my email contact addresses along with contacts/numbers, which I don't need or want as it means having to scroll through hundreds of them to get to the names/numbers i want.

Anyone know why this is happening and how I can stop it and just have names and phone numbers in the list? Oddly., it doesn't do it on the Samsung phone just the iPhone.

I believe BMW enhanced Bluetooth allows you to use 2 phones to make and receive calls but not at the same time. Standard BMW Bluetooth will allow you to connect 2 phones but only 1 can be used for calls, the other can be used for music. I have a 2019 X4. and a personal iPhone and a work iPhone and briefly had both connected at the same time in an attempt to have both work as phones. This is how I found out about the need to have enhanced Bluetooth to make this work.

Working from memory, pair your first phone and then there is a submenu on the car display where you select properties or attributes I.e. use as phone, music etc. Then pair the second phone and again choose what you want it to do. I don’t know about CarPlay as my car doesn’t have it. A quick google of bmw pairing multiple phones should help.

Thanks to responders.
    I have solved the issue of pairing two seperate phones, one for media and one for calls.
    Seems you can't do it when one is connected via CarPlay as CarPlay demands full connection for everything and won't allow a second phone for anything.
    Using the BMW idrive instead of CarPlay I have no issues so that's the way forward.

My only issues now are...

1) My phones will not ring via the cars speaker system, which means the music when playing doesn't reduce in volume when the phone rings (as it does for the SatNav announcements) and I miss calls all the time.
    The phones themselves ring but not through the car speakers. The phones work fine and make/recieve calls ok.
    Everything seems to be connected ok but it just won't happen. Perhaps it's a phone setting not a BMW idrive issue, although the fact that it's happening on both phones (iPhone 7 & Galaxy 'Apha') make that unlikely.
    Any ideas?

2) My iPhone 7 pulls loads and loads of email addresses (some very old and obscure ones) as well as names and numbers. It makes scrolling through contacts very difficult as they are seemingly endless and spread all through the alphabet. All I want is names and numbers, which is exactly what I get with my paired Samsung phone so why not on my iPhone. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Orange Peel; 3rd November 2019 at 20:38.

Try going to contacts on your phone, then Groups and unticking “suggested contacts”

My 330e should arrive this month too

Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    Try going to contacts on your phone, then Groups and unticking “suggested contacts

My 330e should arrive this month too
    Yep done that already and it makes zero difference

Sorted ref emails pulling through.

iPhone: Settings - Passwords & Accounts - BT Internet - Contacts (deselect) = Sorted. Now I just get names and numbers, as it should be

Just need to sort the issue of the phones not ringing through the car speakers now....
    Last edited by Orange Peel; 4th November 2019 at 15:55.