Anyone recognise this as a scam? It sure looks weird. Here is what happened:-

(1) I sold a watch on eBay on Thursday 24th. It was paid for immediately by PayPal. I have received the money and successfully transferred it to my current account.

(2) I despatched the watch on Friday 25th by 1st Class RMSF, as requested. I sent it to the eBay delivery address (which matches the PayPal address). The delivery address appeared to be the buyer's work address but that's merely an observation.

(3) At 09:16 today (Monday 28th) I received an eBay message from the buyer stating:
I think there has been some kind of glitch or error, as I did not order this item or have any use for it. Are you sure this has been sent to me. I also can't see how I have paid for it. There is no trace of it on my Pay pal account.
(4) Royal Mail confirms delivery at 09:35 this morning (Monday 28th). The item was signed for with an unreadable signature by someone named "ST G" (which could well be a contraction of the destination postcode).

I have not yet replied to the buyer. And I have not heard back from him since the delivery of the item.

This is not one of the email scams where people pretend via email that an item has sold (or similar): I have confirmed all details via eBay and PayPal websites.

As mentioned above, all the eBay and PayPal details match except one thing. The one mismatch is that the sale summary page on eBay shows that the buyer is a "Tony Pxxxxxx" (actual name replaced by x's). However, this links to the seemingly correct eBay user account to which all other references on both eBay and PayPal link to, but the user's name in all these locations is completely different. Don't know what to make of that.

Any thoughts? I am stumped as to what to say to the guy.