closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Owning a vintage watch that’s too nice to wear

Owning a vintage watch that’s too nice to wear

I’ve not really been in this position - and I’m not shy on enjoying my watches in rotation...

But recently I’ve been on a roll

MikeMS sold me his vintage chronostop 1969 and I’m absolutely gobsmacked at the condition ... absolutely spotless (it may have been lightly refinished) but there isn’t a mark on it. Off that goes into the safe.

Prior to that a beautiful prebond omega seamaster ... which was b&p and paul walker kindly serviced for me.

Prior to that, a Casio F100 from 1977 NOS with box, booklets etc. Unmarked strap etc - I’ve just taken the battery out of it and bunged it in the safe.

So - how many of you guys had the same issue with vintage watches ?

Clearly watches are to be worn, but equally you wouldn't go stonewalling in a rare vintage watch. I've owned a few rare pieces such as a DRSD and it was a pleasure to wear it, but almost controlled if you like, wouldn't get it wet, took it off when heading anywhere near a sink and taps etc.

If you like, wear it for best 

I used to have quite a few vintage watches, and many of them got sold when I realised that I was on the verge of shepherding them from Pretty Good to A Bit Tatty.

Grand Master
    Watches are made to be worn not hidden away in a safe!.Just be aware of it at all times and it should remain as is,if not then you should question why you want to own such pieces in the first place.I wear all mine in my job as an aircraft Fueller and NEVER once hit them against anything because Im 100% aware of the value of what's on my wrist.

And if I didn't wear them for work I'd start to question why I bother to even have them!.

Take it out of the safe and wear it.

I have just bought a Navitimer 0861 mainly because it is a bit of a ratrod and therefore eminently suitable for wearing without worrying.
    I have sold a few watches because they were too minty to wear everyday.

Journeyman
    I never saw myself having 'safe queens' or hanging onto watches that I don't wear but now the majority of my collection sees little or no wrist time. I wanted to own one of each case that housed Omega cal. 1040... I accomplished that but greatly prefer wearing a modern watch for the day-to-day. I can't imagine parting with them and I do pull them out from time to time to admire them without actually wearing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    I never saw myself having 'safe queens' or hanging onto watches that I don't wear but now the majority of my collection sees little or no wrist time. I wanted to own one of each case that housed Omega cal. 1040... I accomplished that but greatly prefer wearing a modern watch for the day-to-day. I can't imagine parting with them and I do pull them out from time to time to admire them without actually wearing them.
    I know what you mean.
    I’ve bought a Citizen ray mears for daily duties - and it’s fantastic .... just hate the date window which is far too small.

I’m getting conflicted between watches for enjoyment and watches as investments ... not a good place to be, but selling the majorities of MH Rolexes has put a different perspective on watch ownership for me.

I was lucky enough to buy a mint 1978 oysterquartz two tone and it has original papers. I noticed a fine scratch on the clasp and worry I am over wearing it. So maybe pack to my panerai

I had a 1969 GMT 1675 in fabulous condition! I literally couldn't wear it - - afraid I'd ding it up.

I still have my first watch that I got after graduation. Wore it for 8 years daily. The watch has some marks but mostly shallow. Amazing condition actually. Just shows it is really hard to really mess up a watch properly, accidents like dropping it, not considered of course.

Still when I wear a vintage Tudor I am aware of it on the wrist. My SKX never has the same appeal but there is an advantage of wearing something and not worrying about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    The below watch was worn by me every day for 18 years before I got more money than sense. Used for all sorts of outdoor sports. I don’t see wearing a watch is any risk unless you have a job that will obviously bash up a watch such as a car mechanic.

Zenith Rainbow Elite 670 – 1998
    39mm; 9mm thick
    02.0473.670 - SS with white dial & black bezel
    [url=https://postimg.cc/image/t5pq19qzf/]
    [/url<https://s17.postimg.org/3mxdo97fj/zenith.jpg%5b/img%5d%5b/url>]

I cant wear any of my vintage watches for work ( building trade ) but I do wear them on rotation every weekend and holidays .

I dont own anything worth thousands ! If I did have a expensive vintage piece , I would still wear it but same as my other pieces, carefully . For me there would be no point spending a few thousand for something that never gets worn.

I never thought I'd be in the camp of not wearing a vintage fro the fear of damage.

My flightmaster was mint until a 10 yo kid hit it with whatever he was wearing at the time. The 911 (I can only assume as he just carried on walking) came off second best.
    This really did wind me up at the time but did get over it. I do now wear it less (probably because the collection has grown) though.

When I bought the Big Blue I was determined to wear it, but once again, as it is mint, I've only worn it once.

Madness. I like a ‘beaten up’ watch. Especially if it’s me that’s caused the scratches and bumps.

Journeyman
    The whole fun is wearing the watch
    I wear my 1956 DJ everyday. Scratches are part of the ownership

I wear all my watches, it's the reason I buy them.

My oldest, a Waterbury Series N from 1890, was a gift from my Grandmother to my Father during WW2 and the chain it's on was my Grandfathers and dates to 1858. It is, without doubt, my most precious watch combination and I wear them without hesitation when I put on a waistcoat. The watch is still in very good condition, though the crystal had to be replaced in the 70's when I cracked it!

My oldest wristwatch is my gold Cyma from 1933, worn in rotation with my other watches

I guess they class a vintage.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    i wear all my watches. i think they were built to be used and it seems a shame to curate them like museum pieces. YMMV of course.

I have quite a few vintage watches that are in excellent condition. Several are indistinguishable from new.

I just wear 'em & enjoy 'em. None are worth more than a few hundred quid. And the more you have, the lower the wear and tear on each individual watch.

See? There is a reason to keep buying more vintage watches.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    i wear all my watches. i think they were built to be used and it seems a shame to curate them like museum pieces. YMMV of course.
    A lot of my vintage watches were very unsturdy eastern bloc little things, with chrome plating and cheap dials. It was good to wear them, but I was aware that once I messed them up, that would have been one less on the small pile of ones in attractive condition and one more on the huge pile of ones looking tired and spent. Mostly I sold them to someone with a substantial collection of that kind of thing, all of which he wears - so they haven't become museum pieces, they still get appreciated doing their job every now and then, but are no longer hurtling towards decrepidation. And that knowledge made me more comfortable.

Having said that, my oldest vintage watch I do still wear: it was given 25 years ago to be my only watch, and it makes the person who gave me it happy to know that it's still being worn.

Last edited by Der Amf; 29th October 2019 at 13:26.

I've got a lot of watches but I have quite a few I have bought and never worn.

Not because they are particularly mint or incredibly valuable, just that if I like the look of something I buy it. I get pleasure from ownership.

They don't have to be worn.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Madness. I like a ‘beaten up’ watch. Especially if it’s me that’s caused the scratches and bumps.
    True, but the issue is mint vintage watches people have bought not just new or regular ones. I do get the worry in that case.

I’ve seen various almost NOS watches on SC and often wonder what people will do with them except have them in a collection to look at and then ultimately sell on. There’s been a couple of Heuer’s on there all boxed and mint from the 70’s, lovely to look at but the premium they command and the crazy rare condition means they can’t really be worn. Well, they could but begs the question why buy a NOS one for twice the money of a worn one and then knacker it? May as well just buy a wearer. It’s almost like you fee some responsibility at the point they’re so rarely in a NOS condition.

I’ve nothing as fancy as most on here but I’ve got a couple of nice old Seiko 6139’s and one having a mint ‘pepsi’ bezel (which is literally irreplaceable) and it does make you quite careful. You kind of strive to own the best example you can find and when you get there you realise all the real enjoyment is the one you can wear which already has a few marks.

It kind of doesn’t matter to me with new watches, take the pelagos I had for example... if I damaged the bezel, yes it would cost but you could actually replace it if you wanted to. Doesn’t mean you have to or want to but knowing you can softens the blow. When you have a vintage watch that you literally cannot replace parts on it kind of changes the feel.

Journeyman
    One of my first vintage pieces was my Omega Seamaster DeVille. One day at work I badly scuffed the acrylic and was gutted - then I discovered polywatch. Still, I have been flipping a few vintage watches for fear of messing them up when worn. Generally, if I'm afraid to wear it, it has to go.

[IMG] upload[/IMG]

I've a mixed opinion on this - when I really got into Seiko chrono's, I sought out a mint brown Bullhead, but it was too good to wear, so I bought a scruffy one too. Same with my black Bullhead, and various colour-combo Pogues. And the UFO and, well, a number of Seiko's.

Perversely, I have a 5513 and a 1675 (both 1968) which see loads of wrist time. True, neither were mint when I bought them, but they are both in really good condition. The only concession I made was to fit an aftermarket bezel insert to each, as they both had nicely patinated originals installed and I was nervous about wiping value from the watch with a clumsy move. It was a cheap move that took all of the worry out of wearing them, the case and crystal will clean up nicely if needed, but the bezel insert is a different matter.

Like many, I think all watches are there to be worn and enjoyed, but I try to take pragmatic steps to minimise the chance of damage.

I had a lovely Flightmaster which I restored to absolutely mint condition, but was too scared to wear it, so sold it to a friend who also won't use it. I've tried a number of times to buy it back, but he ain't selling. I have real regret about letting that one go.

Nothing worse than wearing a mint, expensive vintage watch I’m my experience.

Burden of ownership for these types of watches usually means they rarely get worn and they generally stay in the safe unfortunately.

Moved all mine on when I realised the enjoyment of wearing was overshadowed by the fear of damaging them

Master
    Blog Entries
    I also like the pleasure of ownership of a new watch and just like to look at it and compare it to other watches in the collection. In fact some of my past daily wearers that I have sent for directed service that comeback minty never go back on my wrist as they have been restore to their factory spec. They come out of there boxes to be admired and appreciated. That goes the same with near mint vintage purchases a bit like looking at a painting.
    However, I own a 1962 gilt 5512 in unpolished original (bar the hands) condition. That I wear it Off and on daily with a SD 4000c which I never think twice about. If you own a watch it’s completely up to you how you enjoy it’s ownership!

I agree with the logic that a watch is to be worn. The one on my wrist at present is 25 years old, so I treat it with a bit of respect like removing it if going anywhere near a sink and I keep it away from water, but other than that just enjoy wearing it. Sitting on the couch watching the footie surrounded by fluffy cushions is unlikely to pose much of a damagerous environment for the Watch

I wear all mine, just be sensible when not to wear them, garden/house/car work.

Today I’m wearing a 1953 Omega Broad Arrow, it’s bloody lovely and a shame to keep it locked away.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ukboweldoc View Post
    I’ve not really been in this position - and I’m not shy on enjoying my watches in rotation...

But recently I’ve been on a roll

MikeMS sold me his vintage chronostop 1969 and I’m absolutely gobsmacked at the condition ... absolutely spotless (it may have been lightly refinished) but there isn’t a mark on it. Off that goes into the safe.

Prior to that a beautiful prebond omega seamaster ... which was b&p and paul walker kindly serviced for me.

Prior to that, a Casio F100 from 1977 NOS with box, booklets etc. Unmarked strap etc - I’ve just taken the battery out of it and bunged it in the safe.

So - how many of you guys had the same issue with vintage watches ?
    Nope. Anything I buy will get worn. I don't save things for other people to enjoy later anymore.

(although some get worn less and eventually get sold)
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I have never bought a watch as a safe queen, however as values go up, then as does my care of them, hence the frequency they get worn goes down.

Those currently in the safe include my 1954 BBFF, my CHS 191 and my 1938 Hanhart. None of my vintage Rolexes have quite reached this, however my 67 5513, a 1665 Rail, a 16550 Creme and my complete 16750 Pepsi are now getting pretty close.

Currently wearing a 1985 16550 Rail - only 35 years old

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I absolutely cannot understand the buying of a watch that you can afford to purchase, but can't actually afford to wear.
    I'm sure many people enjoy knowing that their possessions are safely entombed in darkness and a couple of inches of steel, never to be enjoyed as they were intended, but l just don't get it.
    If it was the last surviving example of a thing then maybe try to preserve it... but, even then, display it - let people enjoy it.
    If ownership ever became more important to me than use then l would sell up and find something to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I wear all mine, just be sensible when not to wear them, garden/house/car work.

Today I’m wearing a 1953 Omega Broad Arrow, it’s bloody lovely and a shame to keep it locked away.

Locking something like that away would be a terrible thing.

Owning a vintage watch that’s too nice to wear

Not expensive really but I find it’s too delicate to wear. OP said too nice to wear anyway not too expensive . Always worry it’ll get a whack so it sits unworn in the box.
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 11th January 2020 at 21:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    I absolutely cannot understand the buying of a watch that you can afford to purchase, but can't actually afford to wear.
    I'm sure many people enjoy knowing that their possessions are safely entombed in darkness and a couple of inches of steel, never to be enjoyed as they were intended, but l just don't get it.
    If it was the last surviving example of a thing then maybe try to preserve it... but, even then, display it - let people enjoy it.
    If ownership ever became more important to me than use then l would sell up and find something to enjoy.
    This. Life is too short. Enjoy the things you have or give/sell them to people who will make good use out of them. Either that or open a museum.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Not expensive really but I find it’s too delicate to wear. OP said too nice to wear anyway not too expensive . Always worry it’ll get a whack so it sits unworn in the box.
    Nothing delicate about that really. How many thousands of people wore watches like that 50 years ago day in day out with no issues?
    Drop that or a modern mechanical dive watch from chest height onto a tiled floor and it'd be 50/50 which came out best. I know which one would land heaviest...

Nothing delicate about that really. How many thousands of people wore watches like that 50 years ago day in day out with no issues?
    Drop that or a modern mechanical dive watch from chest height onto a tiled floor and it'd be 50/50 which came out best. I know which one would land heaviest...
    I am sure you are correct. It’s so light though it’s unnerving on the wrist. Keep checking it’s there, and not fallen off.

I am sure you are correct. It’s so light though it’s unnerving on the wrist. Keep checking it’s there, and not fallen off.
    That's because you - and l, l might add, are so used to the current trend for large oversized watches.
    When l wear my father's old watch it feels like air on my wrist... but that soon becomes a good thing!

Blog Entries
    That's a shame, lovely looking thing like that should be seen.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    That's a shame, lovely looking thing like that should be seen.
    I know. Quite torn about selling it tbh. I’d never find another as nice - but bottom line is I’m not wearing it

Master
    I had a vintage SM300 with a ghost dial that fell into the too fragile to wear catergory so ended up selling it. In comparison my Speedmaster is worn fairly regularly as it just seems tougher. I also have no qualms in wearing my 60’s Connie. I just don’t think I’d be happy with a safe Queen

Master
    If you wear a watch it will pick up the odd mark, even if you’re a careful owner. Just be glad you’re lucky enough to be the one who gets to wear and mark it. Otherwise, you’re simply deciding that someone else is more worthy of that pleasure. It might make sense if it’s rocketing up in value and you’re planning to sell it, or if it belongs in a museum, but otherwise why are you saving it for someone else? What did they do to deserve your watch? Some people buy furniture and then refuse to take off the plastic wrappers, or have whole rooms no one is allowed to go it to - it’s actually a clinical condition.

The only exception for me is a classic Rolex rivet Oyster bracelet. You can crush those hollow links if you’re clumsy and I must admit I’d probably wear the watch more if I swapped it out for a later solid link bracelet, so I suppose I should listen to my own advice and get over it.

Master
    I’m wearing this today while walking the dog, I used to worry about damaging it but I like looking down at my wrist with the red popping out the dial.
    I really should have changed the date but I was too lazy!

I tend to wear my vintage watches regularly but I try to treat them with a bit of respect as the last thing I want to do is ding the case. But I’m also careful when wearing modern watches as the only looser is me if I damage them.
    Also I mainly wear them on leather straps
    Regards John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omega from 1954. It’s a bit of a triggers broom I think but super accurate and the one watch I have worn that has been commented on. It’s 35mm so pretty small but I like it. Cost about £350.

Master

I wouldn’t say it’s a case of not affording to wear it, the issue is when you have a vintage watch that is in a condition that’s almost impossible to replicate. Kind of a sympathy for something that has survived so long in perfect condition.

I do agree with what you’re saying to some extent but we’re talking about really nice vintage not a new watch that’s two a penny.

As I mentioned earlier, I’d be happy to wear my Pelagos and take a knock (which is a £2k Watch) but I’d be gutted if I scraped the bezel on my 1977 Seiko bullhead or my 1972 6139 ‘silver Pogue’ which both have bezels in NOS condition but they’re worth far less than the pelagos. Try finding another NOS pepsi bezel for a Seiko Pogue!

I do wear both regularly but I’ll do the ‘Prince Phillip’ style walk when going through doorways!

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    I wouldn’t say it’s a case of not affording to wear it, the issue is when you have a vintage watch that is in a condition that’s almost impossible to replicate. Kind of a sympathy for something that has survived so long in perfect condition.

I do agree with what you’re saying to some extent but we’re talking about really nice vintage not a new watch that’s two a penny.

As I mentioned earlier, I’d be happy to wear my Pelagos and take a knock (which is a £2k Watch) but I’d be gutted if I scraped the bezel on my 1977 Seiko bullhead or my 1972 6139 ‘silver Pogue’ which both have bezels in NOS condition but they’re worth far less than the pelagos. Try finding another NOS pepsi bezel for a Seiko Pogue!

I do wear both regularly but I’ll do the ‘Prince Phillip’ style walk when going through doorways!
    I'm always very careful when l use the word "afford".

To many nowadays it just means that one has enough money, one way or another, to buy a thing. If that's the case then l can "afford" a great many things - as long as they never go wrong, get damaged, age, or in any other way cost me more than the initial outlay or impact upon my ability to "afford" other things.

The truth, however, is (regrettably) that to truly be able to afford to own a thing is to be able to use it as intended, maintain it, enjoy it without stress, and to be able to replace it or repair it as required.

Master
    I'm always very careful when l use the word "afford".

To many nowadays it just means that one has enough money, one way or another, to buy a thing. If that's the case then l can "afford" a great many things - as long as they never go wrong, get damaged, age, or in any other way cost me more than the initial outlay or impact upon my ability to "afford" other things.

The truth, however, is (regrettably) that to truly be able to afford to own a thing is to be able to use it as intended, maintain it, enjoy it without stress, and to be able to replace it or repair it as required.
    I think you’re missing the point, it’s not about money with mint vintage pieces. It’s about rarity and ruining a survivor.

I agree with your point in regards to modern watches, many people can’t really afford to wear them as intended. You’ve only got to read TRF for a bit and see the “I scratched my sub” threads and the “investment” threads in regards to new Rolex to know that.

I wore my modern Tuna in the sea snorkelling every day for at least 3 hours on holiday and it’s more valuable than my 6105 but again I wouldn’t risk damaging my 6105 on rocks even if it was water resistant as I can’t replace the bezel. If I could buy all the parts for it I’d be happy to, but you can’t even get a crystal for them anymore!

That's because you - and l, l might add, are so used to the current trend for large oversized watches.
    When l wear my father's old watch it feels like air on my wrist... but that soon becomes a good thing!
    Very true.

I have a few watches of similar design and size, but rarely wear them.

When I do though, I enjoy their lightness, simplicity and legibility.

I'm not sure watches have really got better over the years...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Grand Master
    Some vintage watches are in the ‘too nice to wear’ category, some aren’t. I have a collection that includes both, ironically I get more pleasure from the less than perfect examples because they’re far more wearable. As an example, I have an early 50s steel Omega Seamaster bought cheaply as a fixer- upper, the dials been refinished many years ago then suffered from oil contamination, the case was battered and needed heavy refinishing to get it looking good again, with the inevitable loss of detail in places. The aim was to complete the watch and sell it at a fair price, but once finished I realised what a nice looking piece it was and decided to keep it! The dial cleaned up nicely, I sourced a replacement hand- set, the bumper movement responded well to a good service........I ended up with a super- looking watch that isn’t collectors grade but wears very nicely and is ideal for regular use. Water resistance has been restored with a new glass and crown, the watch is just as wearable as it was in the 50s when first sold, if it gets a whack I can refinish it without worrying about losing sharpness to the case, I enjoy thus watch hugely.

Contrast this with the early 60s gold pie- pan Constellation I bought from Mike Wood in 2009, totally original with hardly any use, virtually unmarked, with the sharpest edges you’ll ever see. If this got a hard whack it couldn’t be refinished back to the current condition, so it gets used very sparingly. Likewise a 1986
    Rolex Datejust bimetal 16013 I stumbled across in 2008, the watch had been worn around a dozen times, a true time- warp example that’s in NOS condition, I hardly wear the thing but I’ll never part with it because I wore it as my wedding watch in 2015......wish I’d worn the Constellation instead, then I wouldn’t have the emotional bond with the Rolex and it could be sold for good hard cash, when I say its the best example on the planet I’m not joking.

I think I prefer vintage watches that have been carefully restored, examples that the anti-polishing police who inhabit the Omega forum would disapprove of, I’m far more relaxed wearing them because I know I can refinish them if necessary. The exception to this rule are the ones that proved difficult to refinish and I don’t wish to damage my own work, I have one in particular that’s in that category!

There’s a certain pleasure in owning ‘too good to wear watches’, but I wouldn’t advise having too many in a collection.

I often find this will all expensive and or desirable items. Be it watches new or old.

You don't want to scratch / damage it so leave it in a draw safe and snug.

A vintage watch is just the same, wanting to keep it in its current condition.

But you have to ask yourself. If you don't use it then what was the point.

Did you buy it to leave in a draw ?

You need to give it a life, a purpose. That is how I`m thinking more these days but it is still hard.

I hope everyone having trouble wearing them gets a change of ideas at some point and gives these lovely watches more wrist itme

Grand Master
    There is a certain pleasure in owning stuff, even if you don`t use it often. Knowing it's there in the draw(er) can be rewarding if you have the collector mentality.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 13th January 2020 at 22:14.