closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BT Mobile

Master

BT Mobile

I'm thinking of migrating one of my mobile accounts from Giffgaff to BT Mobile and wondered if anyone has had any strife with BT in the wirral/merseyside/cheshire area ? They use EE I think.

Giffgaff are getting a bit miserly on low usage mobiles.

Your inputs and experience will be much appreciated.

B

Check OpenSignal.

We had really bad reception with BT mobile / EE in our area of central Liverpool. So bad in fact they initially admitted it was a cell mast issue and after much complaining gave us a femto cell to overcome the deadspot. But that became redundant when the other half changed to an iPhone 8 and we found it wasn't compatible with the femto any longer.

I won't go into the customer service experience with EE.... Suffice to say I moved the contract to Vodafone, which by all accounts is even worse but touch wood we've had no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabs View Post
    We had really bad reception with BT mobile / EE in our area of central Liverpool. So bad in fact they initially admitted it was a cell mast issue and after much complaining gave us a femto cell to overcome the deadspot. But that became redundant when the other half changed to an iPhone 8 and we found it wasn't compatible with the femto any longer.

I won't go into the customer service experience with EE.... Suffice to say I moved the contract to Vodafone, which by all accounts is even worse but touch wood we've had no problems.
    There is no reason that an iPhone 8 shouldn’t work with a 3G Femtocell. Also, the phone should support VoWiFi (voice over WiFi) when connected to your WiFi router.

Quote Originally Posted by josep View Post
    There is no reason that an iPhone 8 shouldn’t work with a 3G Femtocell. Also, the phone should support VoWiFi (voice over WiFi) when connected to your WiFi router.
    Well in this case it didn't. The option was enabled in phone settings (as with the previous model iPhone 6 which worked) but it wouldn't initiate the connection when a call was made or received. Checked and double checked everything, seek to recall there was talk of an incompatibility but as we moved carrier I stopped looking in to it.

Few years ago now and it was just the last straw regards service.

Well in this case it didn't. The option was enabled in phone settings (as with the previous model iPhone 6 which worked) but it wouldn't initiate the connection when a call was made or received. Checked and double checked everything, seek to recall there was talk of an incompatibility but as we moved carrier I stopped looking in to it.

Few years ago now and it was just the last straw regards service.
    WiFi calling has to be enabled by carrier and phone. Phone needs to be of a certain year or above (5se, 6+ etc and above).

In certain instances it needs to be from the carrier or have the carrier enable it for your phone type. Example: my pixel 2 XL has WiFi calling and VoLTE (HD Voice) on EE but not Vodafone. The OnePlus 7T I just returned last week had VoLTE on voda but not WiFi calling.

Shouldn't be any need for any other device inside the home.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    WiFi calling has to be enabled by carrier and phone. Phone needs to be of a certain year or above (5se, 6+ etc and above).

In certain instances it needs to be from the carrier or have the carrier enable it for your phone type. Example: my pixel 2 XL has WiFi calling and VoLTE (HD Voice) on EE but not Vodafone. The OnePlus 7T I just returned last week had VoLTE on voda but not WiFi calling.

Shouldn't be any need for any other device inside the home.
    Thanks, that may well explain it. iPhone 8 was purchased from John Lewis (12% discount using a work scheme) and a new nano SIM was ordered from EE. They were aware we had the Femto as well.

Nice to see another Pixel 2 XL user too ;)

Thanks, that may well explain it. iPhone 8 was purchased from John Lewis (12% discount using a work scheme) and a new nano SIM was ordered from EE. They were aware we had the Femto as well.

Nice to see another Pixel 2 XL user too ;)
    Will be a Pixel 4 XL user tomorrow ;)

Found a way to get £160 off the 128gb XL so doing that. Voda stock the 64gb model so VoLTE and WiFi calling should(!) work. Shame about the battery and lack of ulta wide angle lens on front and back but I tried the OnePlus (7 Pro 5 months ago, 7T last week) and the camera is beyond dreadful.

Doesn't matter where phone/sim are from. iPhone has it enabled on all UK networks AFAIA but as Vodafone never stocked the Pixel 2 or OnePlus 7 Pro/7T it was hit and miss. Nothing on Pixel, only VoLTE on OnePlus.

Looking forward to typing out all my passwords manually for banking apps for the next 1-2 years while developers pull their fingers out!

WiFi Calling works great on my iPhone 8 on BT Mobile.

BT Mobile is a comparatively cheap way to get on the EE network, especially if you are already a BT punter, and even more so if the multiple “Family” SIMs work for you. Double data allowances on BT Plus, too.

If you ever have a problem with your BT Broadband, BT will automatically switch all SIMs one your account to unlimited data, which is a very nice feature (and one I’ve put to the test recently).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    WiFi Calling works great on my iPhone 8 on BT Mobile.

BT Mobile is a comparatively cheap way to get on the EE network, especially if you are already a BT punter, and even more so if the multiple “Family” SIMs work for you. Double data allowances on BT Plus, too.

If you ever have a problem with your BT Broadband, BT will automatically switch all SIMs one your account to unlimited data, which is a very nice feature (and one I’ve put to the test recently).
    Yeah they say that but when they cancelled our broadband in error when we informed them 2 weeks ahead of time of our impending house move. They sent us a WiFi hotspot with a measly 40gb card in it (4 person house, I work from home and we have cut the tv cable so to speak) they were informed of our heavy usage and said they would send another hotspot (no not just a sim - which should have rung bells). When the 40gb took 4 days to expire we phoned them back and they were extraordinarily rude saying they’d send another hotspot but that would be the last one and hanging up. Subsequent calls were also hung up at their end when we rang to complain.
    Eventually we cancelled everything and went with virgin which is roughly 5x faster and costs less. They actually did give us an unlimited sim when the install date had to be pushed back.

So now I just can’t recommend by at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will be a Pixel 4 XL user tomorrow ;)

Found a way to get £160 off the 128gb XL so doing that. Voda stock the 64gb model so VoLTE and WiFi calling should(!) work. Shame about the battery and lack of ulta wide angle lens on front and back but I tried the OnePlus (7 Pro 5 months ago, 7T last week) and the camera is beyond dreadful.

Doesn't matter where phone/sim are from. iPhone has it enabled on all UK networks AFAIA but as Vodafone never stocked the Pixel 2 or OnePlus 7 Pro/7T it was hit and miss. Nothing on Pixel, only VoLTE on OnePlus.

Looking forward to typing out all my passwords manually for banking apps for the next 1-2 years while developers pull their fingers out!
    How did you manage to get the discount? I'm going to hold off for 6 months and see what feedback the 4XL receives, if it's not resounding I'll stick with the 2XL or jump to a 3XL. The lack of finger print sensor is a PITA!

How did you manage to get the discount? I'm going to hold off for 6 months and see what feedback the 4XL receives, if it's not resounding I'll stick with the 2XL or jump to a 3XL. The lack of finger print sensor is a PITA!
    PM sent. Agree re finger print but ram > finger print.

Master
    Check OpenSignal.

Thanks for this - checked ------------------and Switched today - no brainer.

Thanks for the input all.

B