closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bluetooth earphones recommendations

Master

Bluetooth earphones recommendations

I'm looking to get some Bluetooth/wireless earphones (of the small, in-ear type, not big cans).

I've been perfectly happy with my Soundmagic E10 for the last two and a half years, but, ever since I've 'upgraded' to the Note 10 and lost the 3.5 mm jack, making them work is a pain: in short, the USB-C port is not a perfect fit with any adapter I've tried so far, so every time the adapter moves around (such as it would happen when the phone is in your pocket), the music stops. I've also tried the USB-C variant of the E11, and the same happens.

I do not think it's an issue with the port on the phone, because both the E11 in USB-C variant and the adapters I've tried work flawlessly for about two days, and then start having issues (which progressively get worse, to the point where I have to walk around with my phone in my hand and the earphones cable wrapped tightly around it to stop the jack from moving around).

So, as I'm getting fed up with wasting money on wired USB-C earphones, it seems that the only solution is getting some wireless ones (it would also mean that I'd be able to charge my phone while listening to music).

Any recommendations for wireless earphones with a similar sound quality as the E10 (fairly bassy, but also well balanced and clear)? Budget ideally under £100, but would be willing to stretch a bit (say up to £150) if the quality is there. I have £75 in my Amazon gift card balance, so Amazon would be the preferred store to buy them from.

Thanks

If you have recently got your Note10 Samsung are offering free AKG bluetooth in ear devices.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    If you have recently got your Note10 Samsung are offering free AKG bluetooth in ear devices.

I got it when it launched. They weren't giving Bluetooth ones back then (and the wired AKG ones that came with it are rubbish)

Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    I got it when it launched. They weren't giving Bluetooth ones back then (and the wired AKG ones that came with it are rubbish)
    Bummer, I lament the lost of the 3.5mm jack, I returned my Note10+ as not better that Note 9 IMHO.

The new Jabra elite 75t is out 30th Nov. Meant to be the best going all things considered. I have Bose in ears and over ears. In ears are useless from Bose in my experience. (3 pairs dead recent. 2 within 2 years 1 within 1 year).

Master
    I have the Jaybird Run XT

They're good but the silicone ear buds didn't quite feel secure enough (when running) and I changed them to Comply tips which solved that issue.

They were my first bluetooth earphones so I don't have anything to compare to, but they seem good to me

I'm very happy with these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VSYLV..._tgXTDbP2WNVM0

The Lypertek Tevi also get good reviews but are more expensive

Blog Entries
    Just got some Jabra Elite Sport, off the forum - superb piece of kit with built in HR monitor and 2x2 microphones for passive NC. Come in a charge case. Still getting used to them. They look like in-ear hearing aids so sit flush with the ears. Expensive - but worth it if you are into running and fitness training. They have a variety of tips and 'earwings' - they are totally secure - just been at the gym and you can do what you want - interval training, weights, bench press, running - stay in place. Also have 'listen-through' so if you are running outside you can hear what's happening around you - a great safety feature these days. (Sorry to sound like an advert).

They are £189.23 on amazon - but Black Friday is coming!!

If you just want audio (no HR) there are others much cheaper on Amazon from Monsoon / Cheppeky at around £30-40 seem to have good reviews if you check.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 28th October 2019 at 17:20.

Master
    I have Jaybird Tarah Pro and like them a lot.
    Had the X3 and X4 earbuds earlier and Tarah are much better.

Master
    I’ve got a cheap pair of Sony from Sainsbury’s which are decent I use them for running but I’ve also got the sound magic and some razer hammerheads, both of which are superb! The razers make a belting sound for what they are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bose SoundSport free.. 150 notes there on the large size but sound is tremendous and the wing fit part keeps them. In your ears. .. Use Cambridge Audio that are 120 notes at home and prefer them to My old airpods.

Quote Originally Posted by mattleicester View Post
    Bose SoundSport free.. 150 notes there on the large size but sound is tremendous and the wing fit part keeps them. In your ears. .. Use Cambridge Audio that are 120 notes at home and prefer them to My old airpods.
    Phone calls only from the right ear and they stick out of your ear something rotten as they are wider than Adele circa 2005. John Lewis just gave me a refund for some which stopped working a few months ago on Sunday. Glad to see the back of them.

I got these for 65 quid, great for the price, an still going strong a year Later

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got some of the Jaybird Vista for running and the gym.

They are great and fit really securely.

https://www.jaybirdsport.com/en-gb/v...BwE#985-000871

Master
    Thanks for the suggestions everybody - a few models to go over.

I already have some ~£40 Sony wireless jobbies that sound terrible (very tinny sound, harsh hi-ends, non existent low-ends), so I'm looking for something more refined.

The Tarah Pro looks interesting, but it seems that amazon only has the non-Pro version.

Master
    If you like the current buds why not pair them with a Bluetooth receiver?

I had one for mountain biking and it worked great until I killed it by saturating in water.

Had one of these:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-SBH24-...s%2C142&sr=8-3

Heard these are good too:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-Blueto...S8SYSDY7JHVAGE
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 29th October 2019 at 11:21.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    If you like the current buds why not pair them with a Bluetooth receiver?

I had one for mountain biking and it worked great until I killed it by saturating in water.

Had one of these:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-SBH24-...s%2C142&sr=8-3

Heard these are good too:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-Blueto...S8SYSDY7JHVAGE
    That's actually not a bad idea at all; I didn't even realise that these were a thing.

I guess my only concern would be that it'd be quite bulky. It's okay in winter because you always have extra pockets in your jacket etc., but I'm not sure it would work for me in summer (it looks to big to fit in my trouser's pockets comfortably).

I'll have to read more into it for sure - maybe there's something less bulky out there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    That's actually not a bad idea at all; I didn't even realise that these were a thing.

I guess my only concern would be that it'd be quite bulky. It's okay in winter because you always have extra pockets in your jacket etc., but I'm not sure it would work for me in summer (it looks to big to fit in my trouser's pockets comfortably).

I'll have to read more into it for sure - maybe there's something less bulky out there.
    The Sony’s footprint is smaller than a box of matches and about half as high (approx) it also has a clip so it can clip on.
    (Product Dimensions: 3.4 x 3.3 x 1.4 cm ; 13.6 g)

If I had to guess the other is lip chap-stick sized and again with a clip.

Master
    Apple air pod pro’s are released tomorrow. Not cheap though.

Master
    Jaybirds always seem to get good reviews as others have said.
    I have Monster isport victory and have been very happy with them.

Think i paid about £80 for them

Master
    MPOW flames from Amazon are superb for the prices. Ive bought 4 pair of them and keep a pair on my car, one in my gym bag etc etc.

Honestly you cannot go wrong with them, for the prices they are amazing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mpow-Blueto...2352689&sr=8-1

Are there any bluetooth earphones with normal ear pieces, i.e. not in-ear buds or overear clips?

Ear piece like this:

Craftsman
    I’ve got these;

https://www.johnlewis.com/audio-tech...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Really happy with them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Apple air pod pro’s are released tomorrow. Not cheap though.
    Reviews are promising!

Love mine in gym and handsfree calls. Noise cancellation and silicon will perfect it for me so will go for the upgrade.

Airpods was the only Apple thing ive been impressed with in recent years

Just tried to reserve a pair of Pros to pickup in store as im travelling but for some reason wont allow it - only delivery doh!!

Master
    Cambridge Audio Melomania 1 - they get pretty much top marks from everyone that reviews them & are £119.

Master
    AirPods pros ordered, I use jabra actives for running and they are brilliant, small good sound and batter life. My AirPods are used at home or like now on night shift with newborn.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Phone calls only from the right ear and they stick out of your ear something rotten as they are wider than Adele circa 2005. John Lewis just gave me a refund for some which stopped working a few months ago on Sunday. Glad to see the back of them.
    There are bulky and the mono phone call does seem strange but the sound output is worth the trade off imo and I use the Cambridge Audio if I'm not active. Bass isn't as good but they are more discreet. The problem I had with the airpods was the fit. Order on amazon and if they don't suit return and try the next one would be my last bit of advice

There are bulky and the mono phone call does seem strange but the sound output is worth the trade off imo and I use the Cambridge Audio if I'm not active. Bass isn't as good but they are more discreet. The problem I had with the airpods was the fit. Order on amazon and if they don't suit return and try the next one would be my last bit of advice
    Very true. Earphones aren't eligible for returns outside of being faulty so buying online is always the best bet if unsure.

I'll be buying two sets of the Jabra Elite 75T when they come out on 30th Nov for me and my wife. I'm not expecting any black Friday offers due to the launch date which is a shame. Would prefer the 'active' model for gym but don't want to wait.

After the refund on the Bose after a year from John Lewis (and the terrible support experience from Bose direct) I'll be buying from John Lewis again.

John Lewis is top notch and many should look at there customer service.

John Lewis is top notch and many should look at there customer service.
    Just to balance it out a bit -- before they would refund the faulty headphones onto a gift card they insisted I either go home and find the stupid micro usb cable which came with the Bose or buy a Belkin micro usb cable from the shop floor first. As we were paying for parking and half an hour from home I chose to buy the Belkin but made them price match it against Argos. Absolutely terrible experience and I'm borderline re complaining. Don't think Bose want a USB cable from Belkin to process a faulty item.

Master
    If anyone wants to know, I ended up ordered that FiiO μBTR that Captain Morgan suggested.

Main reason for choosing this option was that it would allow me to continue using my E10's. From what I've read, bluetooth earbuds aren't quite there yet in terms of audio quality when compared to the same model in a wired 'flavour'. Plus, I don't like the shape of most of the 'good' ones (I prefer the 'bullet' shape earbuds). The FiiO should also give better battery life.

We'll see. For £30, it's worth a shot.

By the way, I would never return earbuds if I simply didn't like the sound - that's why I'm reluctant to buy 'just to try them'. Headphones (the big cans) are okay... as you don't shove them in your ear, but returning earbuds is just gross.
    Last edited by asteclaru; 30th October 2019 at 09:45.

Master
    I've received the FiiO last night. First impressions are really good. I'll come back with more details once I've used it for a while and got an idea of expected battery life etc. if anyone is thinking of going the same route.

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Reviews are promising!

Love mine in gym and handsfree calls. Noise cancellation and silicon will perfect it for me so will go for the upgrade.

Airpods was the only Apple thing ive been impressed with in recent years

Just tried to reserve a pair of Pros to pickup in store as im travelling but for some reason wont allow it - only delivery doh!!
    Well, I've been impressed with the Airpods, so decided to take the plunge and order a pair of the new Pro's. Essentially for the same reason you have stated, built in noise cancellation and the silicone. Although I'm very lucky with the current Airpods in that I can run with mine and they stay put, unlike every other earphones I've tried without an over ear loop - fingers crossed my early Christmas present to myself lives up to expectations.
    It's just a matter of time...

I really like the current AirPods - I just can’t get on with things stuck in my ears so the pro’s are a no for me. I never have issues with them falling out of my ears whereas silicone tips never stay put and I find them uncomfortable - I also stopped getting ear infections which came and went over winter time a few years back, even keeping the tips clean I’m not convinced anything that goes on your ear canal is a very good idea (and having nearly run people over wearing headphones crossing the road I’m not sure noise cancellation is very wise at all - I’d rather stay alive than hear Coldplay in crystal clear quality!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Jabra Elite Active 65T are the best I've used (had Bose, AirPods, SM etc etc).

Master
    Blog Entries
    How are people getting on with the Airpod Pro's?

Quick review of new AirPods Pro

I received mine today and have been comparing them with my AirPods 2nd gen

Here are my observations so far:

Btw

APP - AirPods Pro
    AP - AirPods 2nd gen

1. Design wise I prefer the APP - the housings are slightly bigger but the stems are shorter, resulting in a better appearance when you wear them

2. Having used IEMs like Etymotics in the past I'm used to jamming them in to get a good seal, so my main complaint with the APs were the fact that they eased themselves out of your ear with head movement. With the supplied buds, the APP maintain a better seal much longer

3. Sound quality - with a good fit, the older APs sounded really good to my ears. However, if they became loose, much of the sound quality was compromised. I'm not sure if the APPs need a period of burn in, but they sound really good too, although I wouldn't say they were a lot better at the moment

4. Noise cancellation - is pretty good! It's never going to be as effective as the Sony WH-1000XM3 or Bose QC 35ii but for small earphones - I'm quite impressed! I would keep the transparency setting on unless the ambient noise was bad though, as the sound quality is just as good.

5. Controls are pretty good - you squeeze instead of tap to stop/FF/RW and you can change the NC to on/off by squeezing for longer on either bud.

Are they worth it?

Well, they're expensive like most Apple products, but I do think that they are a very good upgrade if you are used to IEMs, listen to music a lot on the go and want a better seal (especially if you are doing sports).

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    How are people getting on with the Airpod Pro's?
    Last edited by Shane; 31st October 2019 at 19:17.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    Cambridge Audio Melomania 1 - they get pretty much top marks from everyone that reviews them & are £119.
    These have been in & out of my Amazon basket like the hokey cokey recently, do you use them with Android by any chance?

Craftsman
    I’ve recently taken to listening to the radio or music on my phone on my way to work and I treated myself to a pair of Sony WF1000 XM3 in-ear earphones. Bloody brilliant. The noise cancelling is good but you can adjust the amount of ambient sound too in four different modes which it switches to automatically - staying (sitting still), walking, running and when on transport. Battery life seems good - I’ve only had them a few weeks and my journey is around an hour each way but I’ve only charged the unit once and they are still at max charge. I’m well impressed but then again my only other experience was with a set of cheap copy Apple ones that just about got me to work if I was lucky.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    I received mine today and have been comparing them with my AirPods 2nd gen

Here are my observations so far:

Btw

APP - AirPods Pro
    AP - AirPods 2nd gen

1. Design wise I prefer the APP - the housings are slightly bigger but the stems are shorter, resulting in a better appearance when you wear them

2. Having used IEMs like Etymotics in the past I'm used to jamming them in to get a good seal, so my main complaint with the APs were the fact that they eased themselves out of your ear with head movement. With the supplied buds, the APP maintain a better seal much longer

3. Sound quality - with a good fit, the older APs sounded really good to my ears. However, if they became loose, much of the sound quality was compromised. I'm not sure if the APPs need a period of burn in, but they sound really good too, although I wouldn't say they were a lot better at the moment

4. Noise cancellation - is pretty good! It's never going to be as effective as the Sony WH-1000XM3 or Bose QC 35ii but for small earphones - I'm quite impressed! I would keep the transparency setting on unless the ambient noise was bad though, as the sound quality is just as good.

5. Controls are pretty good - you squeeze instead of tap to stop/FF/RW and you can change the NC to on/off by squeezing for longer on either bud.

Are they worth it?

Well, they're expensive like most Apple products, but I do think that they are a very good upgrade if you are used to IEMs, listen to music a lot on the go and want a better seal (especially if you are doing sports).
    Thanks for taking the time to post Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    These have to be the option to go for at the price. There are no bad reviews of these anywhere I can find.