closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sinn 356 acrylic or saphire

Craftsman

Sinn 356 acrylic or saphire

I know it's been done, here, wus, rollex forum etc etc. I've read them all and still can't decide.

I've pretry much decided I want a sinn 356. It's 38mm size is perfect and it's my 1st chrono.

It will also be the most expensive watch I have, current being a stowa.

I really want the saphire but it's a hefty premium that could buy a lot of straps or something for the missus.

So, did you go saphire or acrylic, why and how has it fared?

Had both. Prefer the acrylic, obviously it can mark but it’s no issue to clean it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    I know it's been done, here, wus, rollex forum etc etc. I've read them all and still can't decide.

I've pretry much decided I want a sinn 356. It's 38mm size is perfect and it's my 1st chrono.

It will also be the most expensive watch I have, current being a stowa.

I really want the saphire but it's a hefty premium that could buy a lot of straps or something for the missus.

So, did you go saphire or acrylic, why and how has it fared?
    Acrylic. Gives warmth and a lovely vintage quality that suits the 356 as it does on a speedmaster too. Get straps :-).

I agree with the comments above too, I've had both and prefer the acrylic - bit more character and vintage feel and a lovely dome to it also.

Depends if you ever get dirt under your finger nails.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    Depends if you ever get dirt under your finger nails.
    Not for work in some time. Had lots of pretty dirty jobs as a younger chap, notable one working in a coal yard. So dirty that even after scrubbing my hands the dirt was engrained in my skin. Took about 3 months for it to disappear, after i finished up there!

Now i get pretty mucky on a day out fishing, but its all recreational, and i have G-Shocks for that.

My acrylic 356 got scratched on its first outing and although its been polished out, I now consider it as an entirely sedentary watch.
    Acrylic does have a certain appealing look favoured by enthusiasts but I would exclude it as an only watch for everyday use on grounds of practicality. Sapphire is liberating, worry free by comparison.

Acrylic if you are going to wear it with a strap and sapphire with a bracelet.

Just out of curiosity... have you considered the salmon dial?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Acrylic if you are going to wear it with a strap and sapphire with a bracelet.

Just out of curiosity... have you considered the salmon dial?
    Yep, I looked at it. Very very pretty , but it won't scratch the itch. Has to be the black one.

Journeyman
    Acrlyic all the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another vote for acrylic here - beautiful edge distortions, a nice vintage look that supports the overall aesthetic, and it’s trivially easy to maintain.

Craftsman
    Another vote for acrylic here, too. I've had a 103 with the acrylic and now the domed sapphire, the acrylic was by far more playful in terms of distortion.

Acrylic all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Stowa says hello.

Which do you have? This silver-dialed Stowa is also my most expensive watch, and I too have been looking at the Sinn 356. Or possibly the Longines BigEye. I think I’d prefer acrylic crystal, I really enjoy it on my Vostok Amphibia, but like the brushed case of the Longines over the bead-blasted 356. Price and size are factors, too, I know. Anyway, Stowa to Sinn must be a logical step. Cheers!

Craftsman
    I went Sapphire, it's quite a small intricate watch and I liked the clarity you get all across the dial. One other consideration may be that a Sapphire replacement is really expensive, seem to remember it's around £400, so get a bit paranoid about bashing it against things although it's stood up to a few whacks and still looks brand new some ten years later.

They're great watches, think you'd be happy enough with either. Touch on the small side for me, did think about trading for a 358.