closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hardtail Mountain Bikes.....

Craftsman

Hardtail Mountain Bikes.....

Right, I have a c15 year old full suspension mountain bike. I know it would not have cost much and probably came from toys r us. Just getting back into riding it to lose some weight and using Strava to track activity and challenge myself against some local segments. The bike is nothing special, is 3x6 on the gears and has gripshift, standard V brakes.

So - want to buy something to replace the bike as although it’s “ok” it is old and there are probably much much better bikes available.

So now the daft questions:

- how much has bike technology come on over the last 15 years....
    - I can spend up to £1000 on a new bike - do I need to...I’m changing from a 15 year old bike to something modern....so although I can spend the extra do I need to or am I just kidding myself it would be so much better...?
    - If I buy a bike which is 1x10, will I have sufficient gears when using on local roads - I do intend to use it off road but do use it on road too - not really keen on a hybrid or gravel bike....
    - are Suntour forks any good....should I be going RockShox.
    - any recommendations for suitable bikes?

Appreciate any views...
    Cheers

The Marin Nail Trail is a good buy
    For £900- £1k
    https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Marin-Nail-...MTB_109996.htm

Halfords were doing a 20% off trade in deal,they have a boardman 8.6 full sus at a 1000-200 trade in =800 I nearly went for this but managed to bag the same bike boxed off ebay for 550 its all the bike i need at the moment ,well happy!!!
    Last edited by peter2704; 27th October 2019 at 11:35.

I’ve posted on a thread here about how much I’m enjoying my 1x11, suntour shocks Voodoo Bizango hardtail. It isn’t road bike fast on the road but it’s plenty quick enough for a quick blast to get the heart pumping. It’s also great along the shingle beach and on the single tracks that I’ve frequented and climbing is a doddle due to the gear range. I picked it up for £650 just over a year ago.

For a grand you’re definitely in RockShox / Fox territory. Suntour are usually found on entry level bikes at £500-800.

Big brand frames are pretty similar and all will come with own brand bars, grips and post, so you’re looking for best spec. Go for the bike with the best groupset, fork and wheels.

Try Paul’s Cycles and get a decent saving by buying last years model.

Grand Master
    Know a few who have gone for a sub 1k hardtail and the cube reaction seems to be a good one https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod181596

1 x 10 will always have some weakness, i run 1 x 11 and settle for a range where i get good coverage in the middle, but on downhills it's not geared high enough to pedal, and if i'm doing seriously steep offroad, it's not got the range to do the hard stuff that a double or a triple would, which is pretty much what you expect as i'm running 28t front and a 42/11 rear, so a range of around 2.5 to 0.67, whereas with a double running 38t/24t to 42/11 i'd be getting up at around 3.5 to 0.57. But, a single is cleaner, no front mech, and gives a little more clearance.

As for forks suntour are decent enough at entry level, rockshox, etc are all big names, but at entry level they're doing the same stuff as suntour, unless you're getting a set of rockshox revelations, and i doubt that highly at under 1k, suntour will be just as good.

Master
    Mountain bike rider MBR best hardtail under £1000 2019 tests here. With splits £500,750, 1000

https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/hardta...-mountain-bike

Hope this helps

Steve

Personally I would buy second hand. There are probably millions of really good bikes sat in garages and sheds bought, rid for a bit then stored for years.
    Let someone else take the hit on depreciation and grab a bargain if you can. There have been some on SC recently. Do a WTB, check Facebook marketplace or the many forums and ad sites

Craftsman
    Problem with second hand hardtails is that you get old geometry. MTB right now is in a bit of a revolution where it's all about long, low and slack. I recently bought a Ragley Marley and it's just so different to hardtails ive had in the past, nothing like an XC bike, it's a true trail hardtail!

Both my friend and I went for £1000-1500 hardtails, just look how long they are! The tyres are also 2.6inch with a 130mm or 140mm fork.

Master
    I'm thinking about getting a mountain bike myself and am tempted by this for £350 with rockshox
    https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/1590329...-bike-15903294
    Gets good reviews too
    https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bi...e-rake-review/

Second hand.... Calibre Bossnut. Try and go for
    the V2 or the special editions.

Always a few available on the usual sites.

Its exactly the the route I went down when faced with your situation but I wanted full suspension.

I’ve now upgraded to a Whyte carbon works and the Calibre was almost as much fun and I regret not keeping it!!

An incredible bike for the money new and even more so second hand.

its retailed through go outdoors if you can get to one nearby and have a look.

The new full suspension bossnut from go outdoors is superb.
    Rock shox
    1 x 12 sram
    Under a grand Don’t think you’ll get much better for that money brand new

In response to questions asked...

- how much has bike technology come on over the last 15 years....

Loads! Geometry and wheel size the main things but gears, brakes, dropper seat posts etc. It really is night and day when you get on anything steep / technical.

- I can spend up to £1000 on a new bike - do I need to...I’m changing from a 15 year old bike to something modern....so although I can spend the extra do I need to or am I just kidding myself it would be so much better...?

For for a fully suspended bike I’d still look at £1k as a starting point but you can half that and get a decent hard tail.

- If I buy a bike which is 1x10, will I have sufficient gears when using on local roads - I do intend to use it off road but do use it on road too - not really keen on a hybrid or gravel bike....

Depends how fast you go. A 34x10 is about the same as a 50x15. At 80 rpm that’ll have you moving at about 35km/h on a 29” wheel.
    Personally I wouldn’t buy a mountain bike with any more than a single ring at the front now but

- are Suntour forks any good....should I be going RockShox.

High end Suntour are fine, as good as the entry level Rockshox. Try and look for ones with some adjustability, compression and rebound as a minimum.

- any recommendations for suitable bikes?

Full suss you’d be hard pushed to beat the Calibre Bossnut or Triple B. I ride with a couple of mates with them and they’re well sorted bikes. I’d also start with the Calibre hardtails if that’s the way you want to go.
    Alternatively if you can up the budget a bit then I love the stuff Bird bikes are doing and they’re top blokes too deal with

Grand Master
    Worth also checking if your company does cycle to work schemes, but as stated earlier, if i have a grand, i buy secondhand, you'll get a lot more for your money, new bikes at under 1k tend to be heavy with little adjustability, in most instances you might as well get a rigid bike as the forks tend to be heavy and lack any fine adjustment.

Facebook marketplace is a good place to look, as is ebay (nearest first), as it'll be a local pick up thing, but loads available these days and you'd get a 2k new bike for 1k secondhand, which would then mean getting better forks, gears and drivetrain, wheels always tend to be pretty poor on bikes these days.

Master
    Have a look at Cotic. I have a Soul and a BFe (both 27.5''), both really good fun bikes, and like to be thrown around (not literally ). They also make the Solaris which is a 29er.

No disrespect to anyone with bike knowhow, but when a 'Newbie' pops up asking for recommendations it doesn't make any sense and actually can be off-putting to overwhelm with hi-tech info of dimensions and geometries. Keep it simple is always a good maxim. As I stated before there are many bikes bought and cast aside because of either buying too cheap (unride-able and shoddy made) or too pricey and complicated where people are afraid to to use them. There is also a huge theft problem with expensive bikes.

Master
    Pop over to the Bike Radar forum and have a look at their buying guides. Lots of great info on there. For around 1k I'd stay away from the "big brands" as you pay extra just for the name.

Craftsman
    Ok..so to update on this....thanks for all the input and suggestions.

I’ve gone with a Giant Fathom 3 2019 model which was well discounted at Rutland Cycles - just under £675. Reasonable spec, not leading edge but given my old bike was bought from toysrus and probably cost under £150, I’m sure it will be a big step up.

Nice bike... it will be a world away from what you’re used to!
    Quick tip on the fork. The Suntours can be a bit sticky to begin with (takes a little effort to get it moving through its travel) so some fork lube on the stantions before for the first half dozen or so rides can really help loosen things up and get it feeling as plush as a fork 5 times the price.

I use Juice Lube Fork Juice which is about a tenner a tin and lasts ages.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    Nice bike... it will be a world away from what you’re used to!
    Quick tip on the fork. The Suntours can be a bit sticky to begin with (takes a little effort to get it moving through its travel) so some fork lube on the stantions before for the first half dozen or so rides can really help loosen things up and get it feeling as plush as a fork 5 times the price.

I use Juice Lube Fork Juice which is about a tenner a tin and lasts ages.
    Many thanks for the advice.... Consider it purchased....

Craftsman
    So...what a frustrating day....Rutland Cycling.....worth avoiding....

So ordered bike over the phone last Monday. Paid in full. No despatch email on Friday. Phone lines not open Saturday or Sunday.

Got through to customer service at 0930....”oh not sure why it hasn’t despatched...” all spoken with some hesitancy....

1130....”we’ll get it out to you....when do you want it”......I questioned due to hesitant responses and now showing out of stock....”You still have my bike don’t you?”.....you can see where this is going.....

1300....”we don’t have any more stock....we can refund you”....asked to speak to a manager....same person came back on the phone....”i’ve refunded you...”....why, where’s the manager? Etc etc.....refund of just under £700 to take 5 days....I asked for a faster payment or chaps. Deaf ears...no manager, no email confirming refund. I’m not proud of it, I blew my top....they just kept repeating I have refunded you...

Given their reaction, it seems to suggest this is wasn’t an unusual conversation.....but honestly shocking service....

Craftsman
    Forgot to mention....went on ceo email address site and got the email address of the MD. emailed him at 1230.....no response. Appreciate he is probably busy and this isn’t a priority......

Master
    Not the first report of poor service from them I’m afraid.

Have you had a look at Paul’s Cycles often some reasonable deals to be had and while not having to use it hear the after sales is okay.

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/

That's a pain about the Giant...

Having a quick look about, for the same money I'd have a look at this:
    https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/1590415...-bike-15904156

Better fork, dropper post, really modern geometry, decent Shimano gears and brakes, good rubber... looks pretty damn good for the cash.

Master
    Think my cash would go this way...

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/133/pr...-blackred.aspx

Craftsman
    I've since spoken directly to the Giant store in York. Getting the same bike for a little more, but £50 of instore vouchers setup by them (and they should know their own bikes) and the first service included. Probably a safer deal and easy to pick up etc.

Thank you for the other suggestions...... Also no reply from MD..... Have used that route before with tremendous results, this is the only one of 4 that I have contacted over the years (tiscali, dpd, belstaff and Rutland cycling) that hasn't replied. The others were within a couple of hours..

What is wrong with the bike you have?

Master
    I was in exactly the same position a couple of years ago and bought a second hand Specialized Rockhopper in a decent spec with Rockshox (“Recon” I think) for about £200 I think.

My local bike shop gave it a full service / rebuild for £100 and it was like a brand new bike. I do a little bit of proper mountain bike riding over at Hamsterley Forrest but normally just a mix of local flattish routes over mixed terrain and it’s spot on.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    What is wrong with the bike you have?
    It is 15 years old. Needs new tyres, needs a good service. From a tech perspective unbranded low travel forks, standard cable brakes, grip shift gear change (also benefit from a service as not all select and throws the chain)

Yes appreciate spending less than I have could have got it running much better, but then again my circumstances are different and I can afford something more modern.

You interested in it ? :)

No thanks! I have half a dozen already.