closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Auto Union, DKW and IFA

Blog Entries

Auto Union, DKW and IFA

This afternoon, I took a different route when heading home from the workshop. That's how I noticed a workshop on a small industrial estate where I spotted some interesting cars: An Auto Union SP Coupé and a DKW Sonderklasse ('Special Class' in English).

I got out of my car and went up to the workshop where I met a very nice guy who was more than happy to tell me about his cars. The Auto Union was his first 2-stroke purchase 23 yrs ago. Other cars followed, like the DKW Sonderklasse. Inside the shop a prewar DKW and an IFA, which is basically a prewar DKW built in the former DDR, using blueprints of the prewar DKW.

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 26th October 2019 at 19:02.

Fabulous! My father was a dealer for DKW (amounst others marques) in the late 50s and most of the 60s they looked fab.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    The car in the first photo (Auto Union) looks like it should be from Thunderbirds.... do like it :)

That SP coupe is a pretty little thing. I read on wikipedia that they made a handful with a 1.3 V6 two stoke engine. I bet that sounded fabulous!

Cheers,

Plug

- - - Updated - - -

That SP coupe is a pretty little thing. I read on wikipedia that they made a handful with a 1.3 V6 two stoke engine. I bet that sounded fabulous!

Cheers,

Plug

Master
    Wow, these cars only survive due to people like him. They are a labour of love as the value of a fully restored car will no way recompense for the hours spent on it.

Master
    I find all those old 2-strokes hugely attractive......must be my age!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dad had a Wartburg estate car in the early 70’s which had a three cylinder two stroke engine - only seven moving parts!

Blog Entries
    We discussed the value of a restored car vs the restoration costs. The guy did this truely and only for himself. There was a second workshop where his daily business is located: uPVC window frames. So those DKWs weren't his 'daily bread'.

We had a nice little chat. The sort of conversation where you think: "Okay, to keep my unannounced visit politely, I should move on. But it's too nice to leave!"

Menno

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    We discussed the value of a restored car vs the restoration costs. The guy did this truely and only for himself. There was a second workshop where his daily business is located: uPVC window frames. So those DKWs weren't his 'daily bread'.

We had a nice little chat. The sort of conversation where you think: "Okay, to keep my unannounced visit politely, I should move on. But it's too nice to leave!"

Menno
    I’m sure he would have loved your visit; always great to have fellow enthusiasts enthuse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk