closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Considering a Rolex Explorer II Polar 216570

Considering a Rolex Explorer II Polar 216570

I only have one light coloured dial in my collection, and have been thinking about adding the Rolex Polar 216570. I tried it on at my AD today and it doesn't feel too large on my 6.75" wrist - which I thought it might given general comments. The one thing that's holding me back is that it might be in line for a refresh in the next year or so (moving to the new GMT movement). All my other Rolex are black or green dialled, and my Patek are blue and black. My only white is an Oris XXL which I don't wear than often.

Any thoughts from current / previous owners of the Rolex Polar (indeed does anyone have it on the orange RubberB), and any insight as to whether and when it might receive the Rolex overhaul?

Many thanks.

I love it. Even more than my older 16570.

it’s the perfect case size for me, and sits nice and flat. I don’t see the 2nd hands value in the GMT Masters compared to these, and I’d choose the 42mm Explorer II instead personally.

Super legible in white dial, nice maxi hands and hour markers, and doesn’t look typical Rolex, except to people that follow the brand.

All in all, for the price, it’s a win win.

Who knows what the newer movement version might look like - I might have to buy one of those as well :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Love mine, it's a seriously nice watch to wear. Gets probably twice as much wear as my other watches. If they bring a new model out I might get one, but I wouldn't part with the Exp2.

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    I had one but eventually swapped it for an older 16570, which I prefer.

Master
    The only Rolex that i will ever keep and i have had most of them...just wears so comfortable.

I even managed to pick up a Rolex SD 43/50 a few months ago and hardly worn it as this in my eyes is better.

Loved mine but the bezel was too delicate so I moved it on. Would welcome a new model with a trip lock crown and maybe even glide lock on top. Great looking watch and do miss it.

I wouldn’t call the bezel delicate, anything will mark if you hit it hard enough, plus you could always put a new one on it if you really needed to.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I wouldn’t call the bezel delicate, anything will mark if you hit it hard enough, plus you could always put a new one on it if you really needed to.
    When I looked into it the bezel was no issue to swap but would require a service each time. At just over £1k I decided against. Comes down to how clumsy/ham fisted you are and if £5k is a lot or a little to you. In my case i decided against keeping but will buy a revised version later down the line. Did the same thing with the SBDX017 Vs SLA021 and I'm happier with the latter.

Master
    Do it, that’s the watch I regret selling the most.

Thanks chaps, appreciate the feedback! It sounds largely positive, allowing for the bezel, trip lock and new vs old model. I think I'll go for it, I still regret passing it up a few years ago when it was down at £5.5k... MJC, that's interesting about your comparison with the SD43, I'm on the list for that too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    The only Rolex that i will ever keep and i have had most of them...just wears so comfortable.

I even managed to pick up a Rolex SD 43/50 a few months ago and hardly worn it as this in my eyes is better.

^^^. Maybe it is the camera angle but it looks like your blood supply is cut off by those bracelets!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    ^^^. Maybe it is the camera angle but it looks like your blood supply is cut off by those bracelets!!
    Camera angle...every time i go into my dealer he say's i am wearing the bracelet too loose...can squeeze a finger under the bracelet in normal circumstances.

Journeyman
    One of the under-rated Rollys
    I think its a great allrounder

Master
    My favourite after the DSSD. I’ve owned 3 over the years.

Very comfortable and much more unique than the black faced watches.

Master
    Love those fat Mercedes hands far better than the previous model exp 2.

Craftsman
    Lovely watch and good value for money (rrp) I think,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I enjoyed it. Just had too many at the time so let go.

Journeyman
    I rarely wear any of my vintage watches anymore, so I wear my Polar Exp II pretty much every day. Comfortable and very legible. I also appreciate that you don't have to get on a wait list or pay over retail to get one.

Also, I wouldn't let a forthcoming redesign factor in. If anything that will make it more expensive and probably subject to a waiting list.

Master
    The EXP2 42mm is a great and versatile watch. It looks great on a NATO for the summer and equally at home on the oem bracelet for the colder months. Just a nice size for an everyday watch and the polar dial makes it super legible.
    Mine was bought for my 50th birthday, with warranty card dated to the exact day, so it has a special place in my modest collection.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    The current Exp II is the best all round everyday Rolex. It’s a shame they upped the size to 42mm rather than the traditional 39/40mm

Ive had a few chances over the years to buy an explorer ii but have chosen each time a different sports model. I’m still drawn to one tho and although the polar has never been on my list, I feel drawn to one for something different (I like dark faded watches).

I did help a friend sell a 16570 a good few years back (2 grand that went for!) as didn’t fancy it myself.

Always suspected these were now on the hard to get hold of lost?