closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smoking on recent TV/in movies -

Smoking on recent TV/in movies -

Not exactly empirical, but I’m quite sure I am noticing a marked increase in people smoking proper cigs in new TV series and Films (UK and US movies/series).
    I’ve been aware of it for this year at least - but it’s either ramping up or it’s that effect where you never noticed a particular car model until you buy one yourself, then spot them everywhere - am I seeing more smokers because I am looking for more smokers....?

Anyway, I wonder just how much funding is Phillip Morris and chums putting into Netflix and Amazon Prime....

As an aside, and only thought this as I write the above, I see almost nobody on screen vaping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a rare scene when the the lead character in Peaky Blinders isn't smoking a cigarette.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    They have to be movie set cigarettes though surely? As Ralph pointed out above Tommy Shelby has always got a cigarette in his mouth. Today’s health and safety would never allow this to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    It's a rare scene when the the lead character in Peaky Blinders isn't smoking a cigarette.

R
    Have you noticed that Tommy often gives a little cough just as he starts talking, makes me wonder if there is a health problem in the plot for Tommy further down the line, or is it just an affectation that Cillian Murphy has added to the character?

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Not exactly empirical, but I’m quite sure I am noticing a marked increase in people smoking proper cigs in new TV series and Films (UK and US movies/series).
    I’ve been aware of it for this year at least - but it’s either ramping up or it’s that effect where you never noticed a particular car model until you buy one yourself, then spot them everywhere - am I seeing more smokers because I am looking for more smokers....?

Anyway, I wonder just how much funding is Phillip Morris and chums putting into Netflix and Amazon Prime....

As an aside, and only thought this as I write the above, I see almost nobody on screen vaping.

I hadn't really noticed an increase in cigarette smoking on tv, apart from the almost constant smoking in the aforementioned Peaky Blinders which is obviously set back in the day when virtually everyone smoked. I'll look out for it in other programmes now you have mentioned it though. But you would think vaping would make more of an appearance in up to date dramas, particularly the likes of soaps.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 26th October 2019 at 12:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Have you noticed that Tommy often gives a little cough just as he starts talking, makes me wonder if there is a health problem in the plot for Tommy further down the line, or is it just an affectation that Cillian Murphy has added to the character?
    I think pretty much everyone had a semi permanent cough back then caused by any or all of the following- smoking, pollution, damp living conditions and other illnesses.

My guess is this is character era accuracy rather than future plot line, but I could be wrong.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Smoking on recent TV/in movies -

I’m talking about modern, current era stuff.
    I understand the period drama stuff (although Peaky Blinders actually made me feel ill the amount Tommy smokes) but check out the modern stuff.
    MrRobot caught my eye recently... like an add for fags

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    . But you would think vaping would make more of an appearance in up to date dramas, particularly the likes of soaps.
    Would you be able to see the characters in the soap for the clouds of vapour that people emit, some vaping seem to be living in a permanent fog.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I think pretty much everyone had a semi permanent cough back then caused by any or all of the following- smoking, pollution, damp living conditions and other illnesses.
    And for chaps of Tommy and Arfur Shelby’s generation and experiences - gas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk