closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Accuracy mystery

Master

Accuracy mystery

A friend's 1 month old Tag Chrono is typically gaining 2 minutes per day on his wrist.

When I put it on my timegrapher, it was reading +3s per day, had an amplitude of 315 and a 0.0 beat error.

The only thing I could think of to explain the discrepancy was that the hands are somehow moving/slipping if he's making more vigorous movements.

I set his watch to the second yesterday morning and last night he went to a football match - today he was just over 2 minutes fast.

He's obviously going to return it for servicing but I'd appreciate any ideas as I'm stumped. :-)

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by stefmcd; 25th October 2019 at 16:42.

What is he using to measure timekeeping on his wrist each day?

Master
    I used atomic clock app. He has just used his phone prior to asking me.

Blog Entries
    What is his profession?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by igorRIJEKA View Post
    What is his profession?
    Teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    I used atomic clock app. He has just used his phone prior to asking me.

Presumably the service centre or AD will check it on a timegrapher and will think nothing is wrong. He needs to make sure that his experiences are noted throughout the process (can their systems keep a long description with the watch?) otherwise I imagine it'll come back to him with the same issue.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Presumably the service centre or AD will check it on a timegrapher and will think nothing is wrong. He needs to make sure that his experiences are noted throughout the process (can their systems keep a long description with the watch?) otherwise I imagine it'll come back to him with the same issue.
    Exactly what I thought. No-one at the retailer is going to wear the watch for a day to replicate normal usage!

Grand Master
    I suspect the mainspring isn`t slipping in the barrel correctly, the watch will try and run with excessive amplitude, causing the pallet jewel to knock against the guard pins, commonly known as knocking the banking or over-banking. The watch will keep time whilst dial-up , and it'll look Ok on the timegrapher. The watch is under warranty, so I don`t suggest taking the back off, but if you did this, put it on the timegrapher, and slowly move the rotor with a piece of rodico you could simulate this effect. Amplitude would increase to 340° then the trace would go crazy. When this happens a watch will gain time.

Can`t think of another cause, I`ve seen it with Seikos and Orients, and one of my vintage Omegas was close to doing this when I fitted a stronger mainspring, but I wouldn't expect it on a new TAG.

The watch definitely needs to go back for sorting out.

Master
    Cheers Paul. I suspected you'd have a plausible theory. Something like that was the only thing I could guess would fit the inconsistency.