closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hallmark identification

Master

Hallmark identification

I know we have a few resident members who are experts in this sort of stuff, and hopefully others that are better at googling than I am.
    I've got these two sets of hallmarks on a couple of large fish knives/servers that are proving hard to nail down, I know one is Thomas Prime, ( as it's clearly written on there ), but apart from that I'm not sure exactly what the other marks are.
    As for the other set of marks, they are less clear, ( it's not just my crap iphone skills ).

Master
    As you've been able to identify, the first one is by Thomas Prime, and they're his EPNS/silver plate marks. The "A1" mark at the bottom signifies that it's made from the top grade of silver plate, and the rest are spurious marks designed to give the impression of silver. The crown for instance could be taken as a reference to the mark used at the Sheffield assay office. The second piece is solid silver. Reading from left to right, the "crown and moon" are German assay marks for silver, and the "800" signifies the grade. The "D" is probably the maker's mark, and the last one on the end I am unable to identify. I suspect it may be an import mark, given it also has an "800" stamp as part of it. The crown and moon were introduced in 1888, so your piece dates to no earlier than that. Given what I can see, I'd put it at around 1910 in date. Hope that helps.

Master
    Edit: I think the maker's mark is that of E. Deppe of Berlin. See here for an example: http://www.silvercollection.it/GERMANMAKERSD.html

Quote Originally Posted by jl smout View Post
    Edit: I think the maker's mark is that of E. Deppe of Berlin. See here for an example: http://www.silvercollection.it/GERMANMAKERSD.html
    You beat me to it and, of course, there's more on Google (link).

Master
    I knew there were people in the know on here, I would never had made out all of those markings.
    Thank you.

Master
    My pleasure. I'd be interested to see what both pieces look like.

Master
    My pleasure. I'd be interested to see what both pieces look like.
    I'll sort a couple of pics out for you, do you want them sent to you or put up on here.

Master
    Thanks. No need to rush it on my account. I think on here would be best, as the other member who posted might like to see them too.

Master
    The first one is the Thomas Prime item

Master
    Very nice. The silver one is very fine, and the engraving on the plated one is superb.

Warning...thread revival

Here's one I would like information about, please:

Obviously not British (I think) and I have to wonder if it's a legitimate mark for 14k gold. Hopefully someone can reassure me.

Thanks in anticipation of your input.

Master
    That W looks like the trade mark for the Wadsworth case company, an American watch case manufacturer. So it's a pretty safe bet that it's legitimate, and it's 14 karat gold. Vintage watches would frequently be cased in locally made cases due to tax reasons. You probably have one of those. It happened in the UK too - Dennison made a lot of cases for Omega and Rolex for example.

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

That W looks like the trade mark for the Wadsworth case company, an American watch case manufacturer. So it's a pretty safe bet that it's legitimate, and it's 14 karat gold. Vintage watches would frequently be cased in locally made cases due to tax reasons. You probably have one of those. It happened in the UK too - Dennison made a lot of cases for Omega and Rolex for example.
    Many thanks indeed. I've found another example on another forum: a Wadsworth G6518.

I was prepared for it to be American (or Continental) being 14k gold but I had not heard of Wadsworth cases. There are plenty of examples of their other cases online, ie gold-filled and other variations of their markings, but to find example of the same mark is very reassuring. Thanks again...

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Thanks for that...I found it too!

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Here's one I would like information about, please:

Obviously not British (I think) and I have to wonder if it's a legitimate mark for 14k gold. Hopefully someone can reassure me.

Thanks in anticipation of your input.
    If you mean is it an assay mark then no it isn’t
    I recently scrapped a damaged Waltham 14k pocket watch from about 1890. The bullion dealer checked it on a XRF machine and it was 13k.
    The dealer just said that they weren’t that accurate in the U SA at that time. Had it been a UK assay mark he would have accepted it.
    My scrap price was reduced accordingly.
    I would still happily describe your watch as having a 14k case as I am sure it was originally sold and described as such

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    If you mean is it an assay mark then no it isn’t
    I recently scrapped a damaged Waltham 14k pocket watch from about 1890. The bullion dealer checked it on a XRF machine and it was 13k.
    The dealer just said that they weren’t that accurate in the U SA at that time. Had it been a UK assay mark he would have accepted it.
    My scrap price was reduced accordingly.
    I would still happily describe your watch as having a 14k case as I am sure it was originally sold and described as such

Thanks for that...another lesson learned. It's not my watch, rather it was one I was looking at, however I didn't win the auction.