closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Milometer Question

Milometer Question

Do car milometers record when reversing, go backwards even?

Just a random thought I had, (and effect obviously insignificant towards mileage).

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

Just a random thought I had, (and effect obviously insignificant towards mileage).
    Old, cable driven ones did. New stuff is electronic, so I suspect not?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Let me guess, your lease is due to expire and you're almost at your total mileage allowance, and are thus planning to reverse everywhere from now on?

Additional question - if you freewheeled in neutral (or engine off) down a big hill, would that count too?

Are you a friend of Ferris Bueller?

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Are you a friend of Ferris Bueller?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

Find a clear bit of tarmac and reverse at more than 5 mph Does the speedometer register a positive speed? If it does then i'd say that the odometer will also work and record the distance travelled.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Hence use of drills to alter mileages in the ‘old days’ by those who didn’t have the technical skills for ‘proper’ fraud. New ones can be adjusted electronically (unfortunately.....), but not by driving in reverse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friend of mine had a VW Beetle, he was told by a mechanic that you could 'rewind' the milage.
    Coupled the speedo cable to his electric drill, and left it running in reverse overnight.
    It wound the clock back 6 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I'm surprised nobody implemented a one way clutch to prevent this, then again the vast majority of cars wont be affected by the small miles they spend reversing...

as another point its a shame we don't have engine hour/rpm meters, sure the car might only have done 10k but who knows how long its been sat idling or how hard its been run.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMP0T1 View Post
    I'm surprised nobody implemented a one way clutch to prevent this, then again the vast majority of cars wont be affected by the small miles they spend reversing...
    IMHO it doesn't matter if the car is reversing. It's still distance the car has been driven so should be counted.

Any newer car logs mileage in both directions, and they log the mileage in the engine ECU as well as the dash cluster.

If the cluster is interfered with or replaced and does not match the ECU then it will flag a fault. Most manufacturers won't sell a cluster without seeing the car, reading the noise from the ECU and coding it to that car with the mileage in it already.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cameron, come pick me up!

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    IMHO it doesn't matter if the car is reversing. It's still distance the car has been driven so should be counted.
    aye fair enough surprising there isn't any laws since mots use them

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Hence use of drills to alter mileages in the ‘old days’ by those who didn’t have the technical skills for ‘proper’ fraud. New ones can be adjusted electronically (unfortunately.....), but not by driving in reverse.
    Damn electronics, i don`t trust anything that has no moving parts.

It`s easy to `adjust` old school speedo`s;

Master

as another point its a shame we don't have engine hour/rpm meters, sure the car might only have done 10k but who knows how long its been sat idling or how hard its been run.
    Porsche data logs any over revs, so the tech will know how careless you have been with the throttle....

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Porsche data logs any over revs, so the tech will know how careless you have been with the throttle....

that's a good idea to be fair, how long have they been doing this for? I assume its only available after purchase though?

Master

Milometer Question

that's a good idea to be fair, how long have they been doing this for? I assume its only available after purchase though?
    It’s a system fitted to my 2001 Boxster (so not recently then!!), and can be viewed every time the diagnostic kit is plugged into the car’s data port. If you were to have a pre-purchase inspection, you should expect to be told...

Basically, the system logs every time the Rev limiter kicks in, so I would hope that other manufacturers who use limiters would be able to ‘harvest’ similar data.

Last edited by Pete D; 30th October 2019 at 23:18.