closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New release - A Lange and Sohne Sports Watch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    Even if they cost the same I'd rather have a Zenith Defy. A Defy and £20k in change is an even easier decision.
    That, absolutely.

I can’t see past the bracelet, shocking!

Actually, shocking x 28,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    It’s a confusing looking watch for me, not quite sure what it is trying to be. It’s certainly not a stunner and whilst I agree with the points in respect of a rubber/leather option it is really just papering over the cracks in my opinion.

Not for me

Craftsman
    The Chopard is much nicer in the same genre.

Master
    Bracelet is an epic fail, hour markers are too chunky, two letter day abbreviation is weird.
    Last edited by J J Carter; 26th October 2019 at 19:36.

The idea of being original in this day and age is hard - and you cannot please everyone. This thread I think shows that the watch will have more than enough fans. Hopefully those who want one will be able to get one, which I think will still be a niche market, 28k is a fair chunk of change.

I await with interest to see what Lange do with this line going forward. But I don't expect too many additions and likely more complicated, similar to the Zeitwerk (the last new line introduced by Lange).

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like it at half the rrp

See a decent image of it...

... and it clearly isn't a dog. I think the only real issue is the bracelet which - with a couple of minor tweaks - could have been fine; as it is, it's beautifully crafted and supremely functional. I have no issue with the dial whatsoever, in fact it has much of the ALS DNA in evidence and has a wonderful level of detail/quality of finish.

Anyway, those of you who would prefer a Defy, etc - crack on. I'll have one of these, thanks
    Last edited by learningtofly; 27th October 2019 at 12:33.

Was about to post the same as Tony after seeing some more pics on Instagram.
    I quite like it. There is enough of ALS in it and I am sure it will sell well in its niche market inspite of the price tag.
    It is a sophisticated yet sporty looking watch with great DNA. If available with a black dial, would prefer that.

Blog Entries
    It's always subjective to some extent with watches, but I can't see 28k in it if thats what it really is.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    It's always subjective to some extent with watches, but I can't see 28k in it if thats what it really is.
    It’s out of my range, but if an aquanaut is £15k I can see why this is €28k

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post

Just my opinion.
    Agreed on that front... would have been easier to understand had it been precious metal. By way of contrast, the rose gold 1815 up/down, in a special edition run of 25 worldwide, had a list price of £24k. It really doesn’t make sense.

Master
    I shall go against the grain. I like it. In fact, given the choice between it and the standard Nautilus, I'd take this. Although it's an academic point - I'm not in the position at the moment to afford either.

In two minds about this one, bracelet I’m not keen on. Would have to see it in the metal to make my mind up entirely.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post

Just my opinion.
    I think I'd rather have the Aquanaut for 15k to be quite honest, but as I said it's all subjective with watches, and thank god we don't all like the same things!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

A lot of sensitivities on show, which surprises me. That photo of the bracelet / clasp doesn't improve things for me. I still love the movement and the dial (ignoring the day indicator).

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I think I'd rather have the Aquanaut for 15k to be quite honest, but as I said it's all subjective with watches, and thank god we don't all like the same things!
    I think there are a lot of people that would love an Aquanaut for 15k ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Agreed on that front... would have been easier to understand had it been precious metal. By way of contrast, the rose gold 1815 up/down, in a special edition run of 25 worldwide, had a list price of £24k. It really doesn’t make sense.
    Lange are wary of diluting the brand by the potential offering of SS watches. Richemont learnt a lot about this with IWC - they panicked when precious metals weren't initially selling and they began offering the equivalent in SS with discounts. It completely killed the brand value. Patek have been extremely conscious of this happening to them as well. Back 7-10 years ago, the Nautilus was presented as a watch that got you into Patek and to get you to buy a 'proper' Patek. That is they continue to limit extensively the basic Nautilus.

By offering a Lange at 28k, they're saying the metal doesn't matter, you're buying a Lange with a Lange bracelet and that fact means it should cost more. It's a bold move.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Lange are wary of diluting the brand by the potential offering of SS watches. Richemont learnt a lot about this with IWC - they panicked when precious metals weren't initially selling and they began offering the equivalent in SS with discounts. It completely killed the brand value. Patek have been extremely conscious of this happening to them as well. Back 7-10 years ago, the Nautilus was presented as a watch that got you into Patek and to get you to buy a 'proper' Patek. That is they continue to limit extensively the basic Nautilus.

By offering a Lange at 28k, they're saying the metal doesn't matter, you're buying a Lange with a Lange bracelet and that fact means it should cost more. It's a bold move.
    Considering that a watch head in 750 gold doesn't contain more than two thousand pounds worth of metal, this whole precious metal premium thing is questionable anyway.

Yes, I know that there are additional costs like warehousing, recovery and different tools etc., but none of this justifies the premiums charged for precious metal watches. Just look at the 'Platona', price is completely ridiculous when compared with steel.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Considering that a watch head in 750 gold doesn't contain more than two thousand pounds worth of metal, this whole precious metal premium thing is questionable anyway.

Yes, I know that there are additional costs like warehousing, recovery and different tools etc., but none of this justifies the premiums charged for precious metal watches. Just look at the 'Platona', price is completely ridiculous when compared with steel.
    Fully agree, yet the industry has firmly put it in the consumer's mind that being in precious metal means a significant premium over steel. No doubt that is a major source of profit for Patek and co. Come to think of it, wouldn't steel be more difficult to machine over gold?

Fully agree, yet the industry has firmly put it in the consumer's mind that being in precious metal means a significant premium over steel. No doubt that is a major source of profit for Patek and co. Come to think of it, wouldn't steel be more difficult to machine over gold?
    For clarity, I wasn't really referring to the inherent metal value in my comment although it's obviously a factor. I just think that ALS's pricing strategy for this watch is an interesting one as - even with the value of the bracelet (let's assume £2-3000 if you were to but one on it's own) - it does look pretty bullish to me. That said, I'm sure they'll fly; the very harsh criticism levelled at the watch on here certainly isn't reflective of the feeling in the wider world, from what I can tell.

For clarity, I wasn't really referring to the inherent metal value in my comment although it's obviously a factor. I just think that ALS's pricing strategy for this watch is an interesting one as - even with the value of the bracelet (let's assume £2-3000 if you were to but one on it's own) - it does look pretty bullish to me. That said, I'm sure they'll fly; the very harsh criticism levelled at the watch on here certainly isn't reflective of the feeling in the wider world, from what I can tell.
    Agree, pricing was never going to be easy given that they have some attractively priced entry models already.

In terms of reception, I agree. Lots of criticism on watch fora, but I am member in an ALS Facebook group and the general tone is a lot more positive there (especially from the Americans and Asians it appears). Time will tell.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

I like it, but will never afford such a watch. If I could afford one it would mean I'd had an extremely large lottery win, and in that case I'd be looking for an R.W. Smith and an MB&F HM6.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The case, dial etc all look fine to me. No want factor but not offensively ugly either.

Bracelet looks to me to be from a different watch, it doesn't go with it at all.

But then I saw the clasp. Oh the horror... THE HORROR!!!!!!

Interesting that even the Lange fans aren't enthusiastic.

I admire the workmanship as usual, but their designs always leave me cold.

I guess this just slots into the 'I have lots of disposable income and want something interesting and different in terms of a Sports watch' or allows them to try and generate 'brand loyalty'.

Personally, I wouldn't buy it at any price, but I'm sure some will buy it just because of the price.

I can't, though, really get any more excited about something costing that much that isn't truly revolutionary - It's the same way I can't get excited about the latest 911 or Ferrari, they're too expensive for me to realistically consider and they don't often anything truly different.

If this was the watch equivalent of an Aston Valkyrie, I'd feel differently - I'll never sit in a Valkyrie let alone own one, but what it does is so sensational (or promises to be, at least) that I'm fascinated by it.

This is just another expensive watch I don't much like...

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Interesting that even the Lange fans aren't enthusiastic.

I admire the workmanship as usual, but their designs always leave me cold.

I guess this just slots into the 'I have lots of disposable income and want something interesting and different in terms of a Sports watch' or allows them to try and generate 'brand loyalty'.

Personally, I wouldn't buy it at any price, but I'm sure some will buy it just because of the price.

I can't, though, really get any more excited about something costing that much that isn't truly revolutionary - It's the same way I can't get excited about the latest 911 or Ferrari, they're too expensive for me to realistically consider and they don't often anything truly different.

If this was the watch equivalent of an Aston Valkyrie, I'd feel differently - I'll never sit in a Valkyrie let alone own one, but what it does is so sensational (or promises to be, at least) that I'm fascinated by it.

This is just another expensive watch I don't much like...

M
    I'm always left somewhat bemused by posts like this, because the dial finish and detail is sublime; the casework is first class and actually a little innovative when it comes to dealing with the requirement for pushers; and the movement - like all ALS movements - is sublime. Is it so difficult to ignore the issue of pricing and just appreciate those things as someone who loves/likes/is into watches?

I get that you don't like it per se, but that doesn't mean that positives can't be acknowledged. And you wouldn't buy it "at any price".... really? With that fit and finish, and that movement? At any price?

Didn't Lange spend years telling customers it had no interest in stainless steel then admit this watch took them 10 years to make? But of a slap in the face to their loyal customers but if they are now into steel I might have a chance owning one. Non-sports of course. This watch couldn't be less appealing to me.

I'm always left somewhat bemused by posts like this, because the dial finish and detail is sublime; the casework is first class and actually a little innovative when it comes to dealing with the requirement for pushers; and the movement - like all ALS movements - is sublime. Is it so difficult to ignore the issue of pricing and just appreciate those things as someone who loves/likes/is into watches?

I get that you don't like it per se, but that doesn't mean that positives can't be acknowledged. And you wouldn't buy it "at any price".... really? With that fit and finish, and that movement? At any price?
    That's why I started my post with the observation that I could appreciate the workmanship, but maybe it does sound a little more negative than I intended on re-reading.

Of course, the quality is apparent and I do appreciate it, but no, I wouldn't buy it 'at any price' (presuming the price was the regular one and not some bargain, buy today sell tomorrow for a vast profit deal), because it doesn't appeal to me. I wouldn't enjoy wearing it, so why would I buy one?

In the same way I can admire icons in Russian churches, Victorian statues or the engineering in a modern Rolls Royce for the skill of the craftsman, I can admire the skill of the ALS watchmakers and, at the same time, have no desire to possess one.

The price itself doesn't detract, for me, from enjoying something, which is why I mentioned the Valkyrie, even if it does preclude me from owning something.

ALS watches, however, just don't appeal to me on that level, even if I appreciate the craftsmanship.

I don't see anything wrong with wanting one or owning one, they just don't 'do it' for me.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 28th October 2019 at 21:34.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    That's why I started my post with the observation that I could appreciate the workmanship, but maybe it does sound a little more negative than I intended on re-reading.

Of course, the quality is apparent and I do appreciate it, but no, I wouldn't buy it 'at any price' (presuming the price was the regular one and not some bargain, buy today sell tomorrow for a vast profit deal), because it doesn't appeal to me. I wouldn't enjoy wearing it, so why would I buy one?

In the same way I can admire icons in Russian churches, Victorian statues or the engineering in a modern Rolls Royce for the skill of the craftsman, I can admire the skill of the ALS watchmakers and, at the same time, have no desire to possess one.

The price itself doesn't detract, for me, from enjoying something, which is why I mentioned the Valkyrie, even if it does preclude me from owning something.

ALS watches, however, just don't appeal to me on that level, even if I appreciate the craftsmanship.

I don't see anything wrong with wanting one or owning one, they just don't 'do it' for me.

M
    Well, fair enough, I suppose... I have to admit that I’m feeling a bit irritable this evening,and that was a knee-jerk response having read your post on my phone. It think it was the “at any price” that drove me over the edge

Master
    I think the watch is overall very positive. Compared to the other lange cases, the Odysseus case is much more complex and well sculpted with alternate brushing and polishing and ignoring the value of PM vs SS, I think you're getting alot of the value right there and then, coz remember SS is harder to polish and make in the first place.

Then lets get to the dial, compared to a standard 1815 series, they have printed indicies and one of my main issues with that line was the fairly flat dial. The Odysseus on the other hand has a much more 3D dial, more depth and layers, textures etc. The quality of the dial, quite frankly is just superior to other 1815 watches. Also this watch by no means an "entry level" watch like say a 15500 AP or 5167A is. This is more the "sub" watch for people who own a Lange already. And thus, most likely you will not be able to purchase this as your first lange, several boutiques have allocations only if you own another Lange, so the positioning makes sense. They are not trying to make this the Royal Oak or Nautilus.

THe bracelet design, yes abit too IWC for me.

Price is competitive, what can you get for a similar price instead? 18,700 GBP gets you a SS Royal Oak 15500 which lets be honest is "less" complicated than the odysseus with the pushers and day date display. Ignoring useability, we have to agree, it is a more complicated movement, so will cost more. Movement finishing of the Lange is also superior. 23,700 GBP gets you the FPiguet based and rather ageing movement equipped in the Royal Oak Chronograph. Would you take that watch? or the Odysseus? its a difficult one to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    I think the watch is overall very positive. Compared to the other lange cases, the Odysseus case is much more complex and well sculpted with alternate brushing and polishing and ignoring the value of PM vs SS, I think you're getting alot of the value right there and then, coz remember SS is harder to polish and make in the first place.

Then lets get to the dial, compared to a standard 1815 series, they have printed indicies and one of my main issues with that line was the fairly flat dial. The Odysseus on the other hand has a much more 3D dial, more depth and layers, textures etc. The quality of the dial, quite frankly is just superior to other 1815 watches. Also this watch by no means an "entry level" watch like say a 15500 AP or 5167A is. This is more the "sub" watch for people who own a Lange already. And thus, most likely you will not be able to purchase this as your first lange, several boutiques have allocations only if you own another Lange, so the positioning makes sense. They are not trying to make this the Royal Oak or Nautilus.

THe bracelet design, yes abit too IWC for me.

Price is competitive, what can you get for a similar price instead? 18,700 GBP gets you a SS Royal Oak 15500 which lets be honest is "less" complicated than the odysseus with the pushers and day date display. Ignoring useability, we have to agree, it is a more complicated movement, so will cost more. Movement finishing of the Lange is also superior. 23,700 GBP gets you the FPiguet based and rather ageing movement equipped in the Royal Oak Chronograph. Would you take that watch? or the Odysseus? its a difficult one to answer.
    I'd want a FP Journe Chronometre Bleu for the same money. I'd take the Lange over AP, PP and VC as they've never been my thing.

Master
    I'd want a FP Journe Chronometre Bleu for the same money. I'd take the Lange over AP, PP and VC as they've never been my thing.
    The CB is a beautiful watch but it isnt a "sport" watch per se so not sure its a apples to apples really. Still a nice watch.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    The CB is a beautiful watch but it isnt a "sport" watch per se so not sure its a apples to apples really. Still a nice watch.
    I hear what you're saying, but the term 'sports' watch is such a silly thing. What does it even mean? My criteria is - if I had the means (not just cash likely required) and was considering the Lange, the CB would be in the mix for consideration. Especially because I'm not convinced with the style of the Lange bracelet.

Master
    Just watches these two videos and the watch looks so much better than in the previous images. When on the wrist I think it looks rather tasty.

https://youtu.be/WDdYlkLaut4

https://youtu.be/kNP9wNPzbwg

Journeyman
    Day and date on a sports watch? What is the world coming to?

Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    Just watches these two videos and the watch looks so much better than in the previous images. When on the wrist I think it looks rather tasty.

https://youtu.be/WDdYlkLaut4

https://youtu.be/kNP9wNPzbwg
    Thanks Alun - I have to say that, the more I see of this watch, the more I appreciate what ALS have achieved with it. Both the dial and the movement are nothing short of exquisite, and I rather like the case as well (the day and date change pushers and a very nice touch indeed).

The bracelet is spectacular in some ways, but is also the only drawback from my point of view (ignoring the issue of price entirely, that is). Whilst it would appear to be as good as anything I've seen in terms of finish, engineering, functionality, etc I'm not sure about the design of the outside elements of the links... a tad too wide, perhaps? I'd also have liked to have seen a non-integrated design, allowing for a very high class blue rubber alternative (a la Aquanaut) to dress it down a bit. The other point worth noting is that, whilst the case is certainly not oversized, the integrated bracelet means that it's going to be a struggle for anyone with a sub-7' wrist.

Anyway, I'm sure that someone on here will end up with one eventually (you know who you are ).
    Last edited by learningtofly; 5th April 2020 at 08:08.

The bracelet isn't integrated, it just looks it (kinda)

Has someone seen it on rubber or leather ?

Anyway, I'm sure that someone on here will end up with one eventually (you know who you are ).

It won't be me, don't like it one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    The bracelet isn't integrated, it just looks it (kinda)
    I know what you mean. It's confusing, though, because all the write-ups and videos I've seen refer to an "integrated bracelet". I can't find any photos of the head with bracelet removed, which doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    Has someone seen it on rubber or leather ?
    Plenty of speculation about a forthcoming Lange rubber strap, but haven's seen any pictures so far. Going to be difficult fitting a generic rubber due to the unique required fit around the lugs.

Plenty of speculation about a forthcoming Lange rubber strap, but haven's seen any pictures so far. Going to be difficult fitting a generic rubber due to the unique required fit around the lugs.
    The lug fit looks tight. Shame there is no quick release on the bracelet, because I would not want to be changing it myself!

Onto the watch - I still need to see it in the flesh as I'm still not convinced and besides, I still cannot get my head around the pricing. I tried the new excellent GO SeaQ dive watch recently - which has a very, very similar bracelet (same manufacturer hint, hint). Yes the Lange movement finishing will be higher, but for over twice the price? Madness. No idea what Lange are smoking. Apparently an 'application' piece too for those who've bought a Lange previously. Puts me well off the brand.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The lug fit looks tight. Shame there is no quick release on the bracelet, because I would not want to be changing it myself!

Onto the watch - I still need to see it in the flesh as I'm still not convinced and besides, I still cannot get my head around the pricing. I tried the new excellent GO SeaQ dive watch recently - which has a very, very similar bracelet (same manufacturer hint, hint). Yes the Lange movement finishing will be higher, but for over twice the price? Madness. No idea what Lange are smoking. Apparently an 'application' piece too for those who've bought a Lange previously. Puts me well off the brand.
    having seen and handled this watch it is lovely, a lot better than pics but and its a big but, its not flashy or blingy at all, VERY lange. So if you like Lange you should like this.

as for the price, well tbh I'm not sure i agree its way off. Other complicated Steels from the top brands are priced similar, so why shouldn't lange do the same? tbh, they are ALL over priced.

re application piece, that's a great way to do this. First year will be limited stock, they make 5k watches in total each year, so expect maybe 300-500 of these at most. so when you have demand and low production why shouldn't you prioritise your best customers who have supported your brand for years? they have said once they have production ramped up they will open it to new clients. tbh that's exactly the same as trying to buy a steel pp as a new client, not happening.
    Last edited by Kash; 5th April 2020 at 11:59.

Master
    Blog Entries
    For a new release I think the bracelet is fairly dated looking on it personally.

Master
    A few pics showing the bracket 'interface'. Lends itself nicely to 'integrated' strap alternatives.

A good article here: https://quillandpad.com/2020/01/25/w...s-a-photofest/

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

A few pics showing the bracket 'interface'. Lends itself nicely to 'integrated' strap alternatives.

A good article here: https://quillandpad.com/2020/01/25/w...s-a-photofest/

Ah, thank you. Very similar principle to my GO perpetual, in fact, so should be easy for ALS as and when.

Didn't mean to suggest it was difficult to do, but the strap will need to be tailored to the width of the lug to create that seamless look of an integrated bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    having seen and handled this watch it is lovely, a lot better than pics but and its a big but, its not flashy or blingy at all, VERY lange. So if you like Lange you should like this.

as for the price, well tbh I'm not sure i agree its way off. Other complicated Steels from the top brands are priced similar, so why shouldn't lange do the same? tbh, they are ALL over priced.

re application piece, that's a great way to do this. First year will be limited stock, they make 5k watches in total each year, so expect maybe 300-500 of these at most. so when you have demand and low production why shouldn't you prioritise your best customers who have supported your brand for years? they have said once they have production ramped up they will open it to new clients. tbh that's exactly the same as trying to buy a steel pp as a new client, not happening.
    On price - I would also say the other brands (basically PP and AP) are just as crazily overpriced and it puts me off them just as much. I can only stomach the price of 'brand' admission so much.

Application piece - you are of course correct. However, there is a very fine line between 'rewarding' patronage and creating an elitist mentality. Lange, AP and PP's attitude seems to veer towards the latter.

Didn't mean to suggest it was difficult to do, but the strap will need to be tailored to the width of the lug to create that seamless look of an integrated bracelet.
    Gary in the Q&P article wrote the below, I'd say it seems a dicey thing! -

"To test the point, I bought a two-sided spring bar tool and very, very carefully removed (the easy part) and replaced (the touchy part) one end of the bracelet from the case. Tip: don’t try this at home! My blood pressure has just recently returned to normal."

Master
    Ah, thank you. Very similar principle to my GO perpetual, in fact, so should be easy for ALS as and when.
    Here we go - albeit in precious metal.
    https://monochrome-watches.com/a-lan...mage-gallery-3

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Here we go - albeit in precious metal.
    https://monochrome-watches.com/a-lan...mage-gallery-3

I so wanted this to be a good one. However, that is just awful.