closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New release - A Lange and Sohne Sports Watch

New release - A Lange and Sohne Sports Watch

The rumours have been abound for some time and Lange have released their sports watch. First pic from SJX -

I'm conflicted on this - it's not really a sports watch. Bracelet seems ok, but the clasp looks a bit naff. Plus for €28k, I want instantaneous change of the day/date. Overall I'm not too sure about this.

One final issue I have to get something off my chest. This release has been painful. The release campaign has been done to fully target the IG audience. That means 'influencers' and other media outlets have been given plenty of time beforehand and to write their write-ups. This has lead to a worrying issue - objectivity. Too many positive reviews when the bracelet and the positioning of the watch have issues. Hence why I'm linking to SJX's article - it highlights the deficiencies incredibly well. Worth reading his words - https://watchesbysjx.com/2019/10/lan...ic-review.html

It's really hard to see past that awfully dated bracelet.

The watch head itself may win me over. Though those enormous crown guards may mean it just looks lopsided on anything but the bracelet.

They have been trying to build up suspense before the release, which is pretty standard these days.

Regrading the watch, have to admit I am really disappointed. I don't understand the necessity of the weekday display, find the shape not appealing and the bracelet much too wide. And this comes from a ALS fanboy. Sorry.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    The choice of font for day / date is all wrong for a sport watch imo. Is it the same as the ALS name font??

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post

The watch head itself may win me over. Though those enormous crown guards may mean it just looks lopsided on anything but the bracelet.
    It's not really a 'crown guard' - those are the pushers for the day and date. The movement choice seems lazy to me - they say 'new', but it looks based on an older movement. If it was truly totally new, they would have had instantaneous day/date change.

Bracelet - looks even worse the more you look at it. They wanted to go for an integrated look and it's not working for. Bracelet on these high end 'sports watches' are so damn important, functionally and probably even comfort it is probably great, but jeezo it's hideous.

Craftsman
    The watch head itself I like, but that bracelet just looks cheap and outdated. No chance I'd take this over a Royal Oak or Nautilus (if I could afford either right now!).

Craftsman
    The crown guard looks like a half assed attempt at a seiko Giugiaro (Aliens watch).
    The bracelet just looks terrible.

The hands are nice but overall, its not a very attractive watch.
    28k! Goodnight!

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    They have been trying to build up suspense before the release, which is pretty standard these days.

Regrading the watch, have to admit I am really disappointed. I don't understand the necessity of the weekday display, find the shape not appealing and the bracelet much too wide. And this comes from a ALS fanboy. Sorry.
    Coming from you Raffe, that is a damning verdict and one I fully agree with. Maybe best to have left the sporty stuff to GO across the road....

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I really do not like that.
    Its very dated looking, i dont like that with an integrated bracelet it looks like its all bezel and no case if that makes sense.
    Nothing works for me.

When I saw the initial teaser pic with the dial I thought lovely! When the full pic with that hideous bracelet was released I wanted to vomit. ALS have joined Patek in not being able to do sports bracelets properly.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Take this off the bracelet, sell it on a rubber or leather at €17k and you'd have a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Take this off the bracelet, sell it on a rubber or leather at €17k and you'd have a winner.
    Agree 100%

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Form Instagram

Master
    Clearly I have off taste as I really like it. Nice balanced dial. Sporty font, great dimensions, the movement looks superb. Love the bracelet. Thumbs up from me.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Clearly I have off taste as I really like it. Nice balanced dial. Sporty font, great dimensions, the movement looks superb. Love the bracelet. Thumbs up from me.
    Me too. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Its very dated looking, i dont like that with an integrated bracelet it looks like its all bezel and no case if that makes sense.
    Nothing works for me.
    Exactly my sentiments

Actually think it’s going to harm the brand .... was expecting some understated elegance

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post

Agreed, I instantly did not like the watch, picturing it on a different bracelet and I think it’s pretty nice.

I love it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Watch and bracelet are not to my taste but I'll bet the movement is the usual ALS work of art.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Agree with that!

But, even on the bracelet, I’m a big fan. Just not a rich enough fan to buy one. I love the day/date symmetry.

simon

Master
    I quite like it too.. I always like a day and date complication, and the microadjust bracelet looks awesome.

I think they've done a good job of balancing ALS signature styling with the formulaic blue dial integrated bracelet design that's synonymous with other well known designs in this price range.

It is more expensive than most of their decent offerings in gold.

It is more expensive than the AP Royal Oak.

It is marginally cheaper than the Patek Philippe Nautilus.

The case is hideous and so is the bracelet.

Why the heck would anybody buy it?

I won't be buying.

I'm actually quite liking it after reading the link. Initial look didn't impress me, but there is an awful lot to like, and some well though out functionality with the bracelet. I don't need to know the day of the week though.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post

Actually think it’s going to harm the brand. TZ-UK mobile app
    All they need to do is restrict supply due to a “dial/case/movemet production issue“... and watch everyone who was a naysayer fight to fill up lists that will never get fullfillled.

Nothing sells better than hype and the chance at a quick profit.

Craftsman
    What on earth is sporty about it? Sorry, it's a no from me and I love AL&S,

Craftsman
    As others have said when I saw the teasers on instagram I was getting quite excited however I'm disappointed with the reveal. I like the dial and actually like the day date complication. As a package with the bracelet it doesnt quite work for me.

Not for me either, not crazy on it leave alone €28,000 crazy.

Journeyman
    I'd much rather have the 'cheaper' Royal Oak. I don't really understand what they are targeting with this one.

Unless you have dementia, no need for a Day indicator on a watch - so a No from me. Other than that, it has a lot of plus points.

I'm intrigued though, why 120m WR? Nautilus has it too. What's so special about the extra 20m (or go further to 150 or 200).

Journeyman
    It would be a fairly easy pass from me as well, even before that astonishing price tag. I’m finding those cut off 5 and 7 batons overly distracting / unbalancing.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Unless you have dementia, no need for a Day indicator on a watch - so a No from me.
    Try enjoying retirement to the full, you may then wish to retract that statement!

Work was vastly over-rated in my opinion, after 10 years it’s a distant memory, but one of the up-sides was knowing which day it was! I’m happy to admit there are times when a day/ date watch would prove beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I'm intrigued though, why 120m WR? Nautilus has it too. What's so special about the extra 20m (or go further to 150 or 200).
    My guess is in line with what you note - it's so the Nautilus can't beat it on WR in top trumps.

Journeyman
    I actually like the watch itself. I'm not a fan of the bracelet. However, because the watch looks like it has regular Lange lugs; put this on a sporty rubber or leather and I think it'll look amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by tcy148 View Post
    I actually like the watch itself. I'm not a fan of the bracelet. However, because the watch looks like it has regular Lange lugs; put this on a sporty rubber or leather and I think it'll look amazing.
    Yes, would like to see that too.

Don't understand the day-date hate... no-one ever seems to have complained about that particular complication before and I like the dial balance it gives.

Bloody expensive though.

One thing luxury sports watches usually have in common is that the integrated bracelet allows a join that seems effortless:

At this exact point, where the case ends and the bracelet begins, the Odysseus looks busy and fiddly, and not at all graceful:

Which is a shame because once the bracelet has got over that start, it looks excellent.

ALS has done an integrated bracelet before, but that didn't exactly flow either:

Last edited by Der Amf; 25th October 2019 at 07:58.

What a let down.
    -It’s not really a sports watch in design
    -The day indication is pointless
    -The bracelet looks like it’s come from a £150 Seiko
    -The bracelet is not integrated
    -The bracelet does not suit the watch
    -£28k!!!
    -£28k and it’s steel!

Ditch the day complication, the silly crown guards, the bracelet and put it on a nice strap at a price more fitting with the rest of their collection and somebody might buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Not for me

Quote Originally Posted by fraz101 View Post
    Not for me
    It will be anyway a couple of months until the fakes turn up.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Nothing works for me.
    +1

Very disappointing, looks too much like a dress watch trying really hard to be a Sports watch, it may be a grower but it doesn't have the Wow factor for me personally which it needs to at 28k, I'm a massive ALS fan too. Hideous bracelet as well when you look at it compared to what AP, Patek and VC can do.

Another Richemont corporate embarrassment!!!

I actually really like the head. The large day/date make it feel v ALS and the shape and textures of the dial feel like they keep the ALS signature roundness with a bit of added sportiness. I like the pushers, and I like the bit of angularity where it meets the bracelet. It feels like they’ve done something different without copying anyone whatsoever and maintaining the sense of who they are. Blue dials are a bit ubiquitous but it appears to be a particularly cool variety with shifting textures.

It’s the bracelet that kills it dead for me. I like the unusual width of it at the outset. and the engineering (the sides of the links slide off so you don’t have any screws. It actually looks way better from the reverse side!)

But it’s that link configuration I don’t like ie wide at the sides then two offset thin links and a medium sized one in the middle. That’s such a cliche bracelet design of the 70s/80s to my eye. If I’m spending £28k (which I admit I never could) I want everything to scream special. Even if the bracelet is as brilliantly engineered as it appears to be, the design of it feels at best... normal. And I can get normal for massively less than the price of a decent car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I don't like the style of the watch at all ,for the same reasons as detailed above ,bracelet date display etc They should stick to what their known for ,classic dress watches .It seems every watch brand wants to cash in on the luxury sports market dominated by AP

Sent from my moto g(7) play using TZ-UK mobile app

I'm hoping they flesh out their steel offerings further - steel (or other non previous) doesn't have to mean 'cheapening' the brand if done correctly. And the market trend looks to be going that way

Likely looks a lot less Tissot is the flesh, but come on, £28k

It looks as if they couldn’t stop designing it and kept adding to it until they peaked at this confused mess of a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    It looks as if they couldn’t stop designing it and kept adding to it until they peaked at this confused mess of a watch.
    Spot on

Craftsman
    Even if they cost the same I'd rather have a Zenith Defy. A Defy and £20k in change is an even easier decision.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app