closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bergeon Screwdrivers, help needed

Bergeon Screwdrivers, help needed

I’m looking to buy a set of decent watchmakers screwdrivers since my interest (and collection) has advanced somewhat over the past couple of weeks.

After looking on eBay and Amazon I’m
    Confused by all the different codes ie 7899-S09, 30081-s09

Can anybody steer me in the right direction? Just looking for a basic set so I can remove links Ect with out damaging screws!

Any help is much appreciated! Many thanks,

J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the codes relate to the size of the heads and the type of set/packaging – plastic slip, hard case, solid base.

I bought the HS30080-P05 set which is sizes Ø0.50, Ø0.60, Ø0.80, Ø1.00 and Ø1.20mm.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263546041715

I already had a good quality 1.6mm and I've found I've only ever used that and the 1.2mm for bracelet links. I doubt a link screw would go smaller than a 1.2mm, but there are obviously other screws in the watch that will need smaller.

If it's just bracelet links then I reckon a 1.2mm and 1.6mm will be fine.
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 23rd October 2019 at 13:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I think the codes relate to the size of the heads and the type of set/packaging – plastic slip, hard case, solid base.

I bought the HS30080-P05 set which is sizes Ø0.50, Ø0.60, Ø0.80, Ø1.00 and Ø1.20mm.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263546041715

I already had a good quality 1.6mm and I've found I've only ever used that and the 1.2mm for bracelet links. I doubt a link screw would go smaller than a 1.2mm, but there are obviously other screws in the watch that will need smaller.

If it's just bracelet links then I reckon a 1.2mm and 1.6mm will be fine.
    Perfect, thanks for the help! Just ordered a set

Grand Master
    A bit late if you’ve ordered Bergeon, I would've ordered the cheaper sets available from Gleaves or Cousins that are made in France. Whatever you buy, you end up replacing blades because they chip very easily and then they either need redressing or replacing.

I pay around £5 for a pack of 10 decent quality replacement blades, I don’t bother trying to redress the smaller ones. A flat diamond file plate is OK for this, and it’s useful for modifying a blade to a broader profile which you may need for bracelet screws. It isn’t as simple as ‘buying the best brand out there’, which Beregeon claim to be.

Be sure to order a magnifier or two, sounds obvious but folks don’t do this.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    A bit late if you’ve ordered Bergeon, I would've ordered the cheaper sets available from Gleaves or Cousins that are made in France. Whatever you buy, you end up replacing blades because they chip very easily and then they either need redressing or replacing.

I pay around £5 for a pack of 10 decent quality replacement blades, I don’t bother trying to redress the smaller ones. A flat diamond file plate is OK for this, and it’s useful for modifying a blade to a broader profile which you may need for bracelet screws. It isn’t as simple as ‘buying the best brand out there’, which Beregeon claim to be.

Be sure to order a magnifier or two, sounds obvious but folks don’t do this.
    Good advice, I’ve already got a magnifier. Sadly I assumed that bergeon was the best and therefore the only ones worth having in my ignorance. I’ll check out the french made ones, and names I should be looking for?

Craftsman
    French Screwdrivers - Set of 9 in a Wooden Box £32.50

https://gleave.london/french-screwdr...-a-wooden-box/

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amii21 View Post
    French Screwdrivers - Set of 9 in a Wooden Box £32.50

https://gleave.london/french-screwdr...-a-wooden-box/

That’s what I have, quality us fine. Some replacement blades are supplied too.

Craftsman
    I use those french ones, a fine diamond stone really helps for keeping the edge flat and fresh - or just keep changing the bit.

Grand Master
    Most of my work is split between vintage Omegas and more modern ETA based stuff. The screw slots on the vintage Omegas are much finer than the ETAs, so I use new blades on them. when the blades wear or chip I dress them to a wider profile and use them on the ETAs, which have much wider slots. 90% of my work us done with 3 sizes, I really should buy 3 new screwdrivers in these sizes and keep a set for ETAs and a set for old Omegas, it would save swapping blades!