closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Another car advice thread… F11 535d MSport

Master

Another car advice thread… F11 535d MSport

I’m eyeing one of these up and just wondered what (if any issues) I should be aware of?

It’s a 2012 model, one owner from new and just less than 50,000 on the clock so hoping it will be a good trouble free buy... From what I’ve read they seem pretty solid with only the rear airbag on the suspension to look out for. Any advice would be great.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had the 2014 F11 but the 2.0d it was a fantastic car comfortable enough power for Mway miles never a hint of trouble. The 35d is a whole lot better performance wise, and with only that mileage on should be a great buy. Check it has BMW servicing, also check how low the back suspension looks to low and it could be new airbags. As a mile muncher one of the best cars out there.
    Last edited by hilly10; 23rd October 2019 at 13:29.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I drive a 2018 435d earlier this week, amazing performance and sound from a diesel car. I didn’t buy as it was all a bit insular for my taste and decided I wanted more theatre and a convertible again, that said the BMW diesels offering amazing performance and economy so if that’s your bag then why not!!

Master
    I’ve also read that you can activate the tail gate / boot by some sort of gesture of your foot under the bumper. How does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    I’ve also read that you can activate the tail gate / boot by some sort of gesture of your foot under the bumper. How does that work?
    If it’s anything like mine you make a kicking motion under the bumper and the boot opens or shuts. Surprisingly useful if you’ve got your hands full!

We have the X4 with that engine - super performance, averaging 38mpg.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Almost magical average MPG for the engine size and weight of the car!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    Had an F10 535d, excellent all rounder, loved it.

I get the boot to open about 1 in 50 times waving my foot & have given up with it now! The only sure fire way to ensure it opened was when bending down to wash the lower bumper & it then tries to smack me in the head every time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Well it's all sounding positive so far! Seems any horror stories are few and far between.

Master
    Ditto I’ve just got a2017 x3 with the 3 litre engine and get 38 mpg and it goes pretty nicely also.
    Colin.

Master
    I've had a 65 reg 530d M sport auto as my own vehicle for the last 18 months and drive nearly 100 miles a day on mixed motorway / A roads. I had a 66 reg Merc E220d before and I have to say the BMW is leagues ahead not just in terms of performance, naturally but also in terms of comfort and build quality.
    The amount of ooomph it has always impresses me and yet I still average 45mpg, I very rarely have to use sport mode it's quick enough in normal mode.
    It also makes a decent sound as well for a diesel from that silky smooth 6 pot engine.
    Check service history, hpi etc and if all checks out go for it I'd say, you won't be disappointed.
    Try to get some decent warranty as well for extra piece of mind.
    Don't rule out a 530d M sport

Blog Entries
    I’ve just got a 530d M Sport 2015 plate. I’m really happy with it. Excellent build quality and the engine and gear box are a peach, so imagine the 535 will be better. Averaging 39 mpg and that’s not hanging about which is great considering the size. It’s very comfy and feels well put together, don’t get me wrong it’s not that nimble and the steering is a bit vague but overall it’s a nice bit of kit. Go for it.

Craftsman

Another car advice thread… F11 535d MSport

I’ve got a 635d, which uses a M57 straight 6 twin turbo (the f10/11 uses a N57). The only issues I’ve had are, glow plug controller failure, which in turn clogged the DPF (due to not being able to regen) and I needed a new gearbox (done by BMW under warranty). The car was used, with 90k on the clock (BMW tell you the gearbox is sealed for life, yet ZF-makers of the gearbox, advise servicing the box every 50k miles or 8 years). The F10/11 uses a newer ZF 8 speed, but BMW probably still say not to service (ignore this info from BMW and DO service it). I could’ve saved myself a lot of grief re; the glow plug controller, if I’d bought Carly for BMW (Which I now have) and a OBDII dongle.

Since the afore mentioned, the car has been perfect.
    Last edited by Guido-K; 29th October 2019 at 16:14.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitinheadlights View Post
    I’ve just got a 530d M Sport 2015 plate. ... Averaging 39 mpg and that’s not hanging about which is great considering the size.
    Have engines and gearboxes improved significantly over the last 3-5 years or is my car knackered? I've an E92 330D auto which I drive like a grandad (using Shell Optimax) and I average about 34mpg. A very steady motorway run sticking religiously to the speed limit can coax maybe 45mpg. I do a fair amount of short, about town trip driving; maybe that's the key factor?

Blog Entries
    Short trips will kill fuel consumption figures.

I used to own a e92 335d, which averaged over 40mpg on my 35m each-way commute.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Have engines and gearboxes improved significantly over the last 3-5 years or is my car knackered? I've an E92 330D auto which I drive like a grandad (using Shell Optimax) and I average about 34mpg. A very steady motorway run sticking religiously to the speed limit can coax maybe 45mpg. I do a fair amount of short, about town trip driving; maybe that's the key factor?
    I’m driving a 126k Miles e90 335d, mostly motorway miles. I’m averaging about 38mpg but it was 35mpg before the thermostats were replaced as it was running cold. Common issue apparently. Traffic and town driving kills the mpg on these, no stop-start for example. My previous m135i averaged 37mpg in similar driving. Next car likely a F10 535d or 535i.

Ant

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Short trips will kill fuel consumption figures.

I used to own a e92 335d, which averaged over 40mpg on my 35m each-way commute.
    Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post
    I’m driving a 126k Miles e90 335d, mostly motorway miles. I’m averaging about 38mpg but it was 35mpg before the thermostats were replaced as it was running cold. Common issue apparently. Traffic and town driving kills the mpg on these, no stop-start for example. My previous m135i averaged 37mpg in similar driving. Next car likely a F10 535d or 535i.
    Always assumed that but I suppose it's never occured to me just how much short urban trips affect the average. A hybrid would probably be appropriate for my driving pattern. I believe the plan is for BMW to offer the hybrid set up ("30e") in the new 4 series due soonish.