closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Day-Date

Rolex Day-Date

I must be getting older as I’m seriously considering adding a Day-Date to the collection. I think that rose gold on president would be my preference due to my skin tone and probably the 36mm. I have a Datejust II and think that, in gold with the fluted bezel, the larger size would be too over the top and showy. Does anyone have any wrist shots of the 36mm on a wrist between 7.5-8 inches? I used to wear a 36mm Datejust but haven’t worn anything under 40mm for years.
    I’ve also come to the conclusion that it would have to be pre-owned. Looking at the Rolex site it seems that you can only get the current 36mm Day-Date in rose gold if you accept plenty of diamonds on the dial or case which doesn’t appeal. This raises another question, is the 36mm version still seen as a gents watch or is it being targeted more towards the ladies?
    I would appreciate any comments, I know the easiest solution is to get out there and try some but my wrist is currently in a cast making that difficult so this is just for initial research.

Craftsman
    I like the rose but it commands a significant premium over the YG (I am assuming you are buying presented on these...). I would agree that the 40mm can seem a bit OTT with the fluted bezel. The bracelet is fantastic on these and quite striking... downside can be that it makes the dial seem a little small IMO.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    I used to wear a 36mm Datejust but haven’t worn anything under 40mm for years.
    I’ve also come to the conclusion that it would have to be pre-owned. Looking at the Rolex site it seems that you can only get the current 36mm Day-Date in rose gold if you accept plenty of diamonds on the dial or case which doesn’t appeal. This raises another question, is the 36mm version still seen as a gents watch or is it being targeted more towards the ladies?
    My impression is that Rolex are certainly targeting the DD36 mainly at women. Clearly they really are targeting the DD36 in rose gold at women. But so what, 36mm is genuinely fine for a man.

I don't suppose that finding just the right second hand rose gold DD36 will be easy but if it's what you want then I say go for it.

Despite having pale white skin, I find a 36mm yellow gold DD (yup, complete with cliché champagne dial, batons, fluted bezel, president bracelet) really appealing. I see that this classic model is still available in Rolex's current lineup.

Craftsman
    I don't mean to offend, but how insecure must you be if you worry that 36mm might be seen as a "ladies size"?
    Just try one on and if you like it, go for it.

Master
    I found that a 36mm worked on a 7” wrist quite well. However I think the DD40 May be better for 7.5-8” but then it will cost more.
    Surely Tony Soprano’s wrist size was in the bigger side if you want to get an idea !:)

Personal preference on size, of course, but for me the DD36 is a classic and as such transcends current trends.
    In any event the fluted bezel gives it more presence than other 36mms may or may not have.
    My DD36 has never felt in any way small to me, even when compared to wearing bigger pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still miss mine, great watch and have been trying to buy it back off a fellow forum member ever since..

Quote Originally Posted by mutanthands View Post
    I don't mean to offend, but how insecure must you be if you worry that 36mm might be seen as a "ladies size"?
    Just try one on and if you like it, go for it.
    No insecurity at all, if the watch fits it fits. I’ve only recently started looking and just found it strange that the most classic version of the most prestigious gents watch that Rolex produce seems now to be presented mostly in options to appeal to the ladies market, especially when most of the so called experts say that the age of the oversized watch are at an end.

Rolex Day-Date

The DD36 has only just been updated with the new movement, ceramic bracelet inserts, etc. As such, there will likely be some new dials/configurations over the coming years. It is true that the yellow and white gold versions already have non-gem-set dials available, whereas the rose gold one does not, but that may change. For example, there isn’t a platinum one yet, when there’s bound to be.

The Day-Date could quite easily be " The One!"
    Certainly for guys (or girls) of a certain ilk
    Yellow, White, Plat just go easy on the stones

Journeyman
    Thoughts?

Blog Entries
    ^^^ If you like it then you like it.

For me, I am not keen on the colour combination and I don't like the diamond dial.

And the "Rolex Oyster Perpetual Day-Date" printing looks a bit thick to me, but I'm no Rolex expert.

Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post
    I found that a 36mm worked on a 7” wrist quite well. However I think the DD40 May be better for 7.5-8” but then it will cost more.
    Surely Tony Soprano’s wrist size was in the bigger side if you want to get an idea !:)

Quote Originally Posted by nickg View Post
    Personal preference on size, of course, but for me the DD36 is a classic and as such transcends current trends.
    In any event the fluted bezel gives it more presence than other 36mms may or may not have.
    My DD36 has never felt in any way small to me, even when compared to wearing bigger pieces.
    Agreed. I've tried the DD40, but it seemed too large, and the proportions have been distorted and look "wrong".

Here's my 36mm DD, wrist is a measly 6.75".

Whilst I would buy a 36mm DD, my preference would be for a DDII, and I'd make do with a DD40mm at a push :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by fraz101 View Post
    Thoughts?

It looks like a fake, is it?

Love the day date but absolutely can't stand them in any metal with diamonds. It's a tasteful watch, no need turn it vulgar.

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    I'm wondering too. Bezel quite fat and date doesn't look 2.5x.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Yes, and the date-wheel font looks off as well.

Master
    DD11 on a 7.25" wrist.

Journeyman

Genuinely fake.

Here’s an 1803 that I owned a couple of years ago. Very understated and comfortable on the wrist

Agreed. I've tried the DD40, but it seemed too large, and the proportions have been distorted and look "wrong".

Stunning

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Genuinely fake.
    https://www.bigwatchbuyers.com/produ...d-dial-unworn/

looks like a really bad fake IMHO.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    You can't talk about Day Dates and not mention this video

https://youtu.be/OfPlD9t32so

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnya71 View Post
    Stunning
    Thank you.

Beautiful dial design, but (IMO) looks lost on your wrist.

Each to their own.

Thoughts?
    Fake POS.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Fake POS.
    The watch doesn’t belong to me.

I don’t know if it is real or not. A quick google search does reveal some very similar ones though

https://www.google.com/search?q=Role...-HBpLlzUxiYKrM

LOL, that is another watch.

Just check the type-setting of the word 'ROLEX' versus the 'OYSTER PERPETUAL'. It's a different font to begin with, it's too bold and the words align differently between the two pictures. And then look at the 'diamonds', especially the '9' marker.

Cheap fake.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

The watch doesn’t belong to me.

I don’t know if it is real or not. A quick google search does reveal some very similar ones though

Your mates is defo not right. Dial fonts, spacing everything off for me. They couldn’t even be arsed to get the font size right for ‘Swiss made’

Not just a fake but a ghastly fake.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Beautiful dial design, but (IMO) looks lost on your wrist.

Each to their own.
    I'm cool with that. Taste is by definition subjective.

I don’t know if it is real or not.
    Yes, but we do. It's hardly rocket science with the really cheap jobs. "Superfakes" are a whole different world, and a scary one.

Quote Originally Posted by watch-nut View Post
    Your mates is defo not right. Dial fonts, spacing everything off for me. They couldn’t even be arsed to get the font size right for ‘Swiss made’
    It's even faker than the Rolex Planet Ocean Nautilus someone tried to sell me on the beach in Malaga in August.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    It's even faker than the Rolex Planet Ocean Nautilus someone tried to sell me on the beach in Malaga in August.
    Thanks for confirming

I’ve got virtually zero Rolex experience (never actually tried one on)

I

Thanks for confirming

I’ve got virtually zero Rolex experience (never actually tried one on)

I
    Yeah, right. You've tried it on with a fake, though.

Master
    Back on topic, I have tried the DD36, the DD40 and the DDII. I have to say the even being a “larger” gentleman, the 36 to my mind wears very well indeed. The heft of the gold still gives it a good feeling on the wrist and the ceramic bracelet on the current model really is a work of art. For some reason, to my eye only of course, and as I think others on this thread have alluded to, the DDII and the DD40 don’t seem to suit their size for the style of watch. If I had the money, and one day I hope I will, I’ll be going for 36mm, yellow gold, champagne dial, fluted bezel and president bracelet. The best combination and because if a job is worth doing, it’s worth over doing!!

The fluted bezel and the colour of the gold case add visual presence, which perhaps explains why the 36mm in platinum looks cute

Master
    I have a 6.75 inch wrist and even a 40mm watch looks a tad oversize. The 36mm looks like you are wearing the watch and not the other way round.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I have a 6.75 inch wrist and even a 40mm watch looks a tad oversize. The 36mm looks like you are wearing the watch and not the other way round.
    100% agree and my wrists are bigger (7.25inches). Same is true with the 36mm Datejust. Perfect size for this type of watch for most wrists imo.

36mm isn't for everyone. Here's me trying on a friend's 36mm DJ and it looks awful.

So long as it fits your wrist well and you're happy with it, you're good to go. And I say this as someone who sold a 16600 SD for being too small on my wrist.

Thoughts?

That's hideous. I wouldn't be a fan if it was genuine, but why even bother making such a terrible fake of a tasteless watch? Can't have paid more than a tenner for that.

Master
    36mm isn't for everyone. Here's me trying on a friend's 36mm DJ and it looks awful.

So long as it fits your wrist well and you're happy with it, you're good to go. And I say this as someone who sold a 16600 SD for being too small on my wrist.
    It's as much about personal preference to small watches as it is about physical fit. I think that that watch looks great on your wrist.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    It's as much about personal preference to small watches as it is about physical fit. I think that that watch looks great on your wrist.
    I agree with this and a big watch on a big wrist can draw attention to it.

Can someone explain to me how this looks aweful?? It looks a great size on your wrist.

Master

Bracelet looks a little on the tight side, but nothing wrong with that. It looks great on your wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Can someone explain to me how this looks aweful?? It looks a great size on your wrist.
    I think he is allowed to be the judge of what looks good on his wrist and what doesn’t.
    I happen to agree that looks smallish but it is purely an individual thing.