closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Damage during warranty repair where do I stand

Damage during warranty repair where do I stand

I have a watch that went in for a repair under warranty to the second hand dealer. Upon receiving the watch back a part of the watch was damaged and needs to bed replaced. This part is unique to each watch so needs to go to the manufacturer for a replacement. I returned the watch to the dealer and they are saying they have refinished this part. I have said I'm not happy with this and expect a replacement from the manufacturer. They have said they will not do that and I can accept the watch as is or have a refund. Where do I stand legally? I want to keep the watch as it was bought for semimetal reasons (yes I know).

Thanks in advance

Get a refund, I don't think you can force a repair on your terms.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Master
    Is the refurb indistinguishable from new condition. Does it mean a future refurb is less possible?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I think from a legal perspective that he has offered a refund as you are not happy is where he needs to be.

Out of interest what is the watch and what is the part in question?
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Grand Master
    Can`t make a constructive comment/input without more information. I'm guessing this is a cosmetic issue that's been rectified as far as is practicable?

It's a Rolex with damage to the rehaut (engraved). It was damaged by the watchmaker they outsourced the work to.

IANAL, but my understanding is that they have offered you a choice of a repair or a refund, so they have discharged their legal obligations. It's up to you which of these you choose, but I doubt that you have any right to insist that they return it to the manufacturer (Rolex) for further repair.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    It's a Rolex with damage to the rehaut (engraved). It was damaged by the watchmaker they outsourced the work to.
    Ouch, I guess its been scratched and shows.

as you cant force the repair the other option is to accept the refund.

Should you take legal redress he would re forced to refund you as you are not happy, which he has offered.

how is this watch sentimental to you as it was obviously bought used?
    Cheers,

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Ouch, I guess its been scratched and shows.

as you cant force the repair the other option is to accept the refund.

Should you take legal redress he would re forced to refund you as you are not happy, which he has offered.

how is this watch sentimental to you as it was obviously bought used?
    It's a Rolex Explorer 36mm, a watch my grandad always wanted. I received my inheritance from my grandparents this year and bought the watch he always wanted with some of it. They don't produce the 36mm anymore and I think the 39mm is too large so I had to buy used.

Master
    If the refinish is good then i think replacement would be hard to justify

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    It's a Rolex Explorer 36mm, a watch my grandad always wanted. I received my inheritance from my grandparents this year and bought the watch he always wanted with some of it. They don't produce the 36mm anymore and I think the 39mm is too large so I had to buy used.
    ah, I understand.

Would it to difficult to find another if you took the refund?
    Cheers,

Ben

Surely they have some liability for causing damage, over and above a refund for a service.
    It's just a matter of time...

Is the refund for the cost of the service or for the purchase of the watch? If a refund for the watch accept it and buy a different 36mm Explorer which doesn’t have damage and associated bad memories. If for the service, pursue the damage issue, but I don’t think that can extend to insisting on a repair by Rolex.