closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Builders- maintenance companies.

Hybrid View

Builders- maintenance companies.

Don't know why I ever agreed to move, I think I probably nodded my head at the wrong time or something but anyway that's what's happening now.
    So far a few issues cropped up as they generally do, original buyer pulled out, accountants dragging their feet the normal stuff however I never thought for one minute I'd be having issues in simply obtaining a quote for some repairs. The guy had a full survey done and it's highlighted a few issues. Firstly the garage roof needs repairing as the rear end leaks slightly and they've picked up that the pointing on the end wall of the house isn't great and "possibly" letting in moisture inside the house although we have no damp.
    That was 10 days ago and despite numerous calls to locals builders, maintenance and odd job men they've all being fricking terrible. First guy couldn't come out to quote until mid December despite living in the same street. Second guy came out and quoted £2500 to replace the whole garage roof without even jumping up and taking a look. Wasn't interested in repairing and said it's something they don't do....ok bye then.
    Next roofer said that it could be repaired but they don't do it!! I asked why as clearly he's a flat roofer and the roof is flat to be told they don't use that system!! You need somone that uses the old stuff?? T**T!
    Im waiting for about another 5 to ring me back from multiple messages I've left.
    One guy was to come over Sunday despite me telling him it wasn't nesseccary and I didnt expect him to do that. Said he didn't mind as he was over our way anyway, gave him address- he didn't turn up.
    Left it until today to make contact. Said he'd been in a meeting all morning, I rang him at 8 am! where he said he'd be over at 6 tonight.....I'm still waiting.
    Another chap said he would come out yesterday evening at 5:30- he rang and said he was running late and he'd come round at 7. When I asked him if he had a torch he asked why!! It's dark now at 6:30 so how will you see what's needed......silence FFS, I'm still waiting for him to call me back.

Now I'm sorry if we have any builders in the house, but really. I want a quote and then the repairs doing but so far it's taken 10 days to get neither. Why is this so fecking hard?

FFF

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Don't know why I ever agreed to move, I think I probably nodded my head at the wrong time or something but anyway that's what's happening now.
    So far a few issues cropped up as they generally do, original buyer pulled out, accountants dragging their feet the normal stuff however I never thought for one minute I'd be having issues in simply obtaining a quote for some repairs. The guy had a full survey done and it's highlighted a few issues. Firstly the garage roof needs repairing as the rear end leaks slightly and they've picked up that the pointing on the end wall of the house isn't great and "possibly" letting in moisture inside the house although we have no damp.
    That was 10 days ago and despite numerous calls to locals builders, maintenance and odd job men they've all being fricking terrible. First guy couldn't come out to quote until mid December despite living in the same street. Second guy came out and quoted £2500 to replace the whole garage roof without even jumping up and taking a look. Wasn't interested in repairing and said it's something they don't do....ok bye then.
    Next roofer said that it could be repaired but they don't do it!! I asked why as clearly he's a flat roofer and the roof is flat to be told they don't use that system!! You need somone that uses the old stuff?? T**T!
    Im waiting for about another 5 to ring me back from multiple messages I've left.
    One guy was to come over Sunday despite me telling him it wasn't nesseccary and I didnt expect him to do that. Said he didn't mind as he was over our way anyway, gave him address- he didn't turn up.
    Left it until today to make contact. Said he'd been in a meeting all morning, I rang him at 8 am! where he said he'd be over at 6 tonight.....I'm still waiting.
    Another chap said he would come out yesterday evening at 5:30- he rang and said he was running late and he'd come round at 7. When I asked him if he had a torch he asked why!! It's dark now at 6:30 so how will you see what's needed......silence FFS, I'm still waiting for him to call me back.

Now I'm sorry if we have any builders in the house, but really. I want a quote and then the repairs doing but so far it's taken 10 days to get neither. Why is this so fecking hard?

FFF

Had a similar experience with plumbers earlier in the year absolute nightmare I feel your pain.

Blog Entries
    'Tradesmen'.
    Good luck!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That’s the building trade, a severe shortage of tradesmen nowadays.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    That’s the building trade, a severe shortage of tradesmen nowadays.
    Precisely this. Locally, ours all cleared off to Australia and those remaining charge what they like and work at their own pace.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Precisely this. Locally, ours all cleared off to Australia and those remaining charge what they like and work at their own pace.
    Also a lot of good Polish tradesman have gone to Germany in fear of Brexit leaving another gaping hole in our Construction workforce. I have spent most of this year chasing guys to get my workload finished, and guess what it’s only going to get worse

As a partner in roofing company and building contractor I can sympathise. Problem is that we’re having a really wet October, roofs are leaking and roofers can’t fit every day due to wet weather causing a back log of work.

We generally book surveys on Fridays, usually the week after the initial enquiry. On flat roofs we only use GRP, and to be honest if it’s a felt roof that you want repairing I can see why some companies aren’t interested. It’s usually not worth the hassle because soon enough it’ll leak elsewhere.

Ideally you’d strip the roof back to timbers, re-board then GRP. Your local flat roofing contractor will usually be able to give you a cost without seeing the roof as most garage roofs are the same.

Our building company is just over a year old and we’ve surveys coming out our ears and we’re booked up until spring next year. Brexit uncertainty has made a lot of people not want to move, so extend homes instead. If we could employ more staff we would but finding reliable lads is proving difficult. ‘Bloody tradesmen’ isn’t strong enough.

Yep, everyones whacked out with work !

As other posts there is a skills shortage and people/ subbies are jumping around from company to company just for a few quid extra !

Just keep at it Op you will find someone .