closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Room stat question/problem

Master

Room stat question/problem

Basically one of our tenants reported that they had knocked the front of the room stat off, ( the dial ), and couldn't refit it to get it to work, it's a basic drayton stat with the limit tags on the back of the dial.
    I've attempted to refit it but with no luck, I think they've broken a piece off that secures the dial on.
    Anyway, cut a long story short, I thought that i would just get them to turn the knob that was left, ( the one that the dial fits to ), until I got a new one fitted, but this didn't bring the heating on, no click, nowt.
    I checked the timer by the boiler was on "run" for the heating etc, it was, I then removed the stat to reveal the backplate with the wiring, my understanding is that you should have power to the live wire, which then, when the stat is fitted over the backplate, gives power to the switch wire via the stat, which in turn controls the heating, ( does that sound right ).
    What I've actually got is nothing to the live cable, but 24v to the yellow switch cable, hopefully the pics will load to show the wiring etc.

Craftsman
    Readily available from any Merchant and also screwfix.

What Boiler is it connected to.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Master
    I know I can pick up a stat quite easily, it's just the fact that there's no power getting to the live cable that's concerning me, so I might have a problem elsewhere.
    It's a combi boiler, can't remember the make off hand.

Some of them run a low voltage signal wire, your boiler spec should tell you the voltage on that line. Does it work if you short the live and signal wire with the boiler set to constant?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    Some of them run a low voltage signal wire, your boiler spec should tell you the voltage on that line. Does it work if you short the live and signal wire with the boiler set to constant?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    I've tried that and nowt happened.

I think if it was me I would be investigating the loss of power to the room stat, have you verified your meter is functioning correctly?

Craftsman
    Is Boiler firing on hot water request. If so.

Turn boiler power off
    Connect a loop from yellow to red on stat back plate.
    This will create a call for heat.
    Turn power back on.

Boiler should fire on heating mode.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

You should have 240v to that stat on the live. If you haven’t then make sure the selector switch and timer if it has them on the boiler is set to heating on, some give the option of switching to hot water only.

Master
    All of the above have been tried without success.
    I think it's time to get a man in, lol,

Between red and blue there should be 240V.
    The boiler and pump should come on when the stat connects red to yellow.

Disconnect the power and move the yellow to share the same terminal as the red. Reconnect the power and the boiler should supply heat to the rads. If it doesn't, then you have another fault. The lack of 240V does suggest a problem elsewhere.

The copper terminals that the stat attaches to look a bit bent and a bit dirty. I wouldn't be surprised if the stat wasn't making contact properly. Some of those drayton stats have an integral battery which powers the relay. When the battery gets low, the relay doesn't make contact properly, even though you can still hear it click.

So I suggest moving the yellow wire to test operation, rather than attempting to short with a wire.

Edit:
    If you have a separate heating timer, 240V may only be present on red when the timer is "on".
    Last edited by mikeveal; 23rd October 2019 at 15:55.

Master
    Just had a call from the electrician, the only way he could get it to work was to by-pass the timer panel, so it would appear that the fault is in this unit.
    A new one is being fitted as I type.