closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: eBay dispute- advice gratefully recieved

Craftsman

eBay dispute- advice gratefully recieved

I bought a Cartier tank Louis Cartier from a German seller at the start of October. He was very pleasant before I concluded the deal and offered in the message exchange to take the watch back if I wasn’t happy with it. I completed the watch via PayPal checkout and the watch was due to be delivered on about 7th October.

No big deal I thought as I am away with work. I returned from work and the watch was checked today. It has a chipped Cabouchon and a couple scratches on the glass. Neither were mentioned in the advert or in our messages. They were not apparent in any of the photos, likely the photos were taken at angles to omit them.

I am not happy with the watch and raised a return with eBay under their 30 day guarantee as the item is not as described. The seller is refusing to refund me and wants me to return the watch to him so he can replace the parts. He does not deny it is damaged and just says, that it is an old watch and I should expect this type of damage. I am a realist but would have expected him to be upfront.

I don’t want to have to send the watch back to him for him to send it back to me in the condition it should have been in, in the first place! I also don’t trust that a month down the line, something else breaks on this now. I just want a refund, am I being unreasonable? It is a £3k watch. Both me and the seller have 100% feedback over a number of years. The seller thinks i just decided I didn’t want it anymore or even, kept it for a couple of weeks, worn it and am now trying a fast one.

Any Advice gratefully recieved!

James

The way Ebay and PayPal are setup these days means you as the buyer have all the power.

If the watch arrived not as described and the seller is being obstructive, raise a dispute with PayPal and follow their guidelines to obtain a refund.

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    No it's not being unreasonable. It had obvious faults which weren't in the original listing. I would go through eBay/paypal and demand a full refund. If as it sounds he sells a lot on eBay he can't afford not to do what they say.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Good morning.

Raise the dispute with eBay and PayPal. In disputes like this, very rarely does the seller get their way. You must stay firm in regards to your position of obtaining a full refund, do not allow the seller to repair the watch. Make your stance and grievance clear to ebay and PayPal.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

A chipped cabochon is easily replaced as is a watch glass. If the seller will not offer a refund might save a lot of aggravation by having the parts replaced in UK and leaving negative feedback for the seller. My watchmaker, Mark at Antique and Modern in East Barnet, N. London replaced a cabouchon and glass on a Cartier Basculante ... plus other parts ... and the cost was £reasonable. Cabouchons are not high value parts.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Only raise the dispute with eBay not PayPal. Ebay will step in after a week or so and the seller will have to pay the return postage costs. It’s annoying but you will be covered and just need to wait.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    A chipped cabochon is easily replaced as is a watch glass. If the seller will not offer a refund might save a lot of aggravation by having the parts replaced in UK and leaving negative feedback for the seller. My watchmaker, Mark at Antique and Modern in East Barnet, N. London replaced a cabouchon and glass on a Cartier Basculante ... plus other parts ... and the cost was £reasonable. Cabouchons are not high value parts.

dunk

This , get it repaired here with his agreement and claim the cost back off him .

Unless it’s a case of buyers remorse ?.

I can see the OP’s point.

I’d probably call eBay and explain the situation, open a return case and make it clear you want a full refund, not a repair. That’s why it’s called the “eBay money back guarantee”.

If in the unlikely event opening an eBay case doesn’t have the desired effect, open a PayPal case afterwards.

Journeyman
    Agreed - raise a dispute and you should be fine based on what you describe. I had similar experience with a seamaster a few years back described as excellent condition with limited photos. Arrived heavily scratched throughout the bracelet and clasp - seller was unreasonable / unpleasant about it etc but the dispute resolved and refunded the payment.

Master
    If he chose not to disclose such obvious damage, then I'd be worried about any other areas where he was less than economical with the truth, such as the state of the movement.

Craftsman
    Just open a return with eBay and he will have to take it back, if he’s a dealer there does not even need to be a fault you can return an item up to 30 days just because you changed your mind

If he’s registered as a private seller it may be different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's misdescribed open dispute with Ebay they will give him 7 days to respond if does not or your getting no where you can escualate to eBay.
    You will return for full refund plus he will pay the return postage the watch was misdescribed Private or business makes no difference.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bokbok; 22nd October 2019 at 09:45.

Master
    Blog Entries
    eBay normally sides with the buyer,in this case the item was not subject to full disclosure.

If, prior to purchase, he offered to take it back if you weren’t happy, it doesn’t matter whether it is through fault or buyers remorse...he should accept it back.

I’d be opening an eBay dispute.

Craftsman
    All

I really appreciate the advice and support. Return is open and after 6 or 7 interactions with the seller, I am getting no where. He has got a little nasty by accusing me of being a con artist and that “he knows who I am”, I’m not OK with being threatened so I told him I will include eBay once the 8 working days are finished.

Thanks again!

James

Craftsman
    Let the initial dispute time play out & escalate the case to eBay.

eBay will then request that you send the watch back (may even provide a prepaid postage label).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlynch1984 View Post
    All

I really appreciate the advice and support. Return is open and after 6 or 7 interactions with the seller, I am getting no where. He has got a little nasty by accusing me of being a con artist and that “he knows who I am”, I’m not OK with being threatened so I told him I will include eBay once the 8 working days are finished.

Thanks again!

James
    I got threatened by a seller on eBay many years back,he got an instant ban .

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    A good reason not to buy luxury watches on Ebay!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    I have bought and sold dozens of high value watches on Ebay over the years without any issues. Perhaps I've just been lucky! I do always have a heightened level of anxiety for every transaction given some of the horror stories I read.