closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What next? Let me hear your proposals...

Master

What next? Let me hear your proposals...

After more than 13 years here - and a bit less activity in the last years, I can say I very satisfied with the collection .

Apart from a G-Shock 5610 (best watch in the world), a trusty and scratched PRS-18Q and I have settled with three watches:

14060M
    Speedy Pro
    IWC Mark XV

Interestingly , I wanted all of them before the internet, watch forums or social networks existed ;)

So far so good, due to heritage reasons, I do need a nice fourth watch...

Looking on what I have so far, there is certainly a theme but it would be interesting to hear what ideas you have.

Let’s leave Patek Nautilus, AP and Daytona’s aside and focus on obtainable watches.

Size: 35mm - 40mm
    Material: Steel, (Rose)Gold
    Serviceable in the next 30 years
    Reputable brand

Looking forward, thank you...

Blog Entries
    Do you have a budget - else very difficult to help you?

Craftsman
    Something JLC? Master control or Reverso?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Omega Aqua Terra? Railmaster?

I'm really liking the 14060 and Speedmaster. I don't think I'll ever be without mine.

If it was any watch I would be tempted to buy a 16610LV or 16600. But you already have the Rolex diver covered.

The most surprising watch for me has been the Rolex Date-Just II, whilst it's big for some, on my bigger wrist it fits perfectly - the DJ41 is a very good alternative if the size of a DJII is a little much.

My Sky-Dweller is one of my favourite watches, but maybe too big for your liking. I always liked the white gold version, but my Daytona has Arabic numerals, so when they launched the steel version with a baton dial I wanted one immediately. It's such a great use of the Bezel etc. for the complications, and a very good price imho.

Moving away from Rolex my favourites are

Omega -
    the last version of the Seamaster SMP300m with smooth dial
    DSOTM
    Globemaster
    Or
    A 2500D Planet Ocean

Tudor -
    GMT
    Harrods
    Or
    Bucherer
    Although I do really like the Ranger, and doubt I'll ever sell once again.

Alternatives:

I love the Panerai 425 (bigger than 40mm though)and the Heuer Monaco reissue.

So, it comes down to whether you want two of the same brand or not. If so is possibly choose between the DJ or the Globemaster, which both fit inside your size requirements and there us still the 36mm DJ option. Otherwise I'd possibly pick up a nice Heuer Monaco.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 21st October 2019 at 21:52.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I was also going to suggest a Monaco. Get the blue dial Heuer reissue.
    Don’t let go of the 14060M. I did and regret it immensely, its pretty much a perfect watch.

A Reverso would round that out very well, as an iconic dress/sports watch. You've got iconic diver, iconic chrono and iconic pilot/military already there, so you need another niched ticked, IMHO.

(Also, cracking collection. I can't fault those choices at all.)
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Something with a Gmt function?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just looking at your path, unquestionably an F.P. Journe.

Craftsman
    If you're planning on spending 5k or more on a watch, surely you have something very specific in mind and are not depending on a forum of strangers to make suggestions until something catches your eye?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd go dress watch.

Assuming it's for a forth child to inherit (?) you'll need to keep to a similar value as to what you've got, so JLC Reverso? Or if you're manly of wrist, a Dornbluth.

as you are in Switzerland already you could give the Habrings a call and see what they could offer.

Oop's just realised they are in Austria :(

Be different and get a Minase Divido. Nothing better finished under £10k and you avoid yet another 'me too' watch in your collection which is a lovely one just perhaps lacking one more unusual and avant garde piece.

If being mainstream is desired (and I can understand why from a servicing perspective etc) it's got to be a Grand Seiko without a shadow of a doubt and perhaps something more dressy. SBGK005 would be perfect.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    DJ41 dress watch. I know it's not rose gold, but it's a stunner and a great size. Goes as well with jeans as a suit IMO.

Of course there's always....................

Last edited by oldoakknives; 21st October 2019 at 23:36.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Zenith ultra thin in rose gold.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Be different and get a Minase Divido. Nothing better finished under £10k and you avoid yet another 'me too' watch in your collection which is a lovely one just perhaps lacking one more unusual and avant garde piece.

If being mainstream is desired (and I can understand why from a servicing perspective etc) it's got to be a Grand Seiko without a shadow of a doubt and perhaps something more dressy. SBGK005 would be perfect.

Good call on the Minase Ryan. Great watches. Not a popular one for SC but keep an eye and you might get lucky.

Craftsman
    You’ve got diver, heritage and pilot covered.

Break free from the Rolex herd. Glashutte Original?

Journeyman
    Explorer!

Your size preference is similar to mine so my suggestion would be a Datejust 36. Fluted white dial with Romans on jubilee will be iconic and different enough from your other Rolex. I tried the DJ41 and found it far too big (I have 7.25inch wrists) but if Datejusts are on the menu, get to an AD and check them out in person.

Master
    I'd recommend a Grand Seiko. 40mm would be tricky, but I believe they do have hi-beats, spring drive at this size now.

Get a Swatch

You have a stable of design classics, and some that you do not have, that spring to mind are:

Porsche Design chronograph (must be in PVD black, V7750 or Lemania 5100, you choose)
    Cartier Santos
    JLC Reverso
    Rolex GMT (1670 or 16710) - could be accused of being sub-like
    One of the more traditional Navitimers

Dave

I agree that you’ve ended up with a collection of design classics. If you add something that is not another iconic watch, I reckon you’ll end up flipping it one day. For that reason, I’d add something like an Explorer, DJ41 or Air King (noting that my suggestions are slightly over 40mm...but only just).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by micks_address View Post
    Omega Aqua Terra? Railmaster?
    These are what I would be looking at as well as a Rolex Oyster Perpetual.

Master
    Thank you all so far for your input.

Budgetwise, I would like to leave a little bit of room - I will not overpay for hyped watches.

Some watches which I currently like in different price categories (might take a little longer to save)

Oyster Perpetual 39 with black Dial

A. Lange & Söhne Saxonia Thin 37mm in white / rosé gold

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5196

On the lower end, a classic Nomos Orion in 35mm

Master
    Did a quick tour in Zurich: I could try out a 5196 which is very nice but very expensive and scarcity is hitting here now as well..
    Steel Rolex seem to have disappeared, even a standard OP 39 was not available.
    Quickly had a look at the A. Lange & Söhne Saxonia Ultra Thin - very, very nice.

Browsing around I just discovered the new Zenith El Primero A384 Revival - this seems to be nice - El Primero and half the Price of the Lange - any opinion on this?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

Agreed. At a given price point, brand value aside, nothing else comes close.

So many to choose from but the OP could also look at one of the smaller spring drives or a 44GS case quartz.

Master
    I was looking on Grand Seikos, Quartz especially. I like the SBGV245 and the SBGX061/3....

Apart from that, a IWC GST Aquatimer in Titan (Ref. 3536) is a cool watch , but design/function wise already covered by the Sub/18Q.
    Last edited by walkuere; 23rd October 2019 at 05:39.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    DJ41 dress watch. I know it's not rose gold, but it's a stunner and a great size. Goes as well with jeans as a suit IMO.

Of course there's always....................

Agreed, think the champagne yellow gold is nice dress watch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkuere View Post
    I was looking on Grand Seikos, Quartz especially. I like the SBGV245 and the SBGX061/3....

Apart from that, a IWC GST Aquatimer in Titan (Ref. 3536) is a cool watch , but design/function wise already covered by the Sub/18Q.
    I have the SBGV005, which has the same champagne dial as the SBGX063. To my surprise, I find it the nicest dial of any watch I’ve owned.If you’re considering a black dial (you mentioned the SBGX061) then I’d recommend also looking at the SBGX069 – it’s titanium, so should be even more comfortable, and has a textured dial, which would give better legibility.

Blog Entries

suggestions

Take a look at Vacheron Constantin. You may find something you like e.g.

The new fifty-six 40mm Reference:4600E/000R-B441 (you can now order by phone)

Or something in white gold (36mm):

Or Patrimony 40mm manual wind in platinum

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkuere View Post
    After more than 13 years here - and a bit less activity in the last years, I can say I very satisfied with the collection .

Apart from a G-Shock 5610 (best watch in the world), a trusty and scratched PRS-18Q and I have settled with three watches:

14060M
    Speedy Pro
    IWC Mark XV

Interestingly , I wanted all of them before the internet, watch forums or social networks existed ;)

Minor pedantic point but I don't think you wanted a XV before the Internet (or even the World Wide Web) existed.

As to your question: maybe A Breitling? An Aerospace perhaps.