closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Aquastar Regate 4000N - Realities of waterproofness ...

Master
    Blog Entries

Aquastar Regate 4000N - Realities of waterproofness ...

Hi,

I'm after one of these .... but I want to use it sailing.

What are the realities of getting a watch like this be be waterproof; I am working off the assumption I will need to get it pressure tested as a minimum.

There is no doubt you will need good seals on caseback, crown, pushbutton and crystal.
    At this age all of the originals will be useless.
    So you will have to get a new crown and pusher fitted as a minimum, because it is very unlikely anyone can find a replacement seal for the vintage patterns of both that the watch is fitted with. And unlike (say) vintage Omega parts, there are no direct replacements readily manufactured now.
    Personally, I wouldn't do that.
    D

In my opinion you'd be nuts letting any vintage watch near water, even if it has passed a pressure test. It can just take a bang on the case, crown or pusher that you don't even remember doing and that could be enough to compromise any water resistance it had. The first you'd know about it is when it's too late and the moisture's inside, that would be bad enough on a current watch where parts are still available but on a vintage piece it's lunacy!

I have an immaculate one and it's a keeper. They are gorgeous, underrated vintage pieces that wear nicely large and modern. I'd think twice about wearing mine outdoors if I think a shower is due, let alone exposing it to sea spray, knocks and bangs. If you need something waterproof for timing yacht races I'm sure there's a suitable G Shock that will do the job nicely.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have a few plastic watches that I use but the Regate would be nice but only if it can be brought up to condition.

I remember people using them back in the day ...

Personally in your shoes I would also really want to try to reseal it and use it as intended. No doubt not sane, but didn't someone liken yachting to standing in a shower throwing money down the plughole?

The thrill of watching the countdown while tacking around at the start of the race would be great.

Would it be possible to get seals for the pushers and crown that would be close enough in size and profile? Then use it sparingly, checking and cleaning it carefully each time?

Master
    Blog Entries
    With New seals would it not be as good as new?

No it wouldn't, there'll definitely be wear on the pusher and crown sealing surfaces and possibly damage or corrosion on the caseback sealing surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    With New seals would it not be as good as new?
    As I said above, it is not simply a matter of new seals for the pusher and crown. Who made these parts, where are the seals intended for these parts coming from? Neither of us know, so the crown, tube and pusher would need replacing, wth ones that have new, fitted seals in place.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    About as waterproof as a grandfather clock! Just save yourself a load of hassle a get a modern diver!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    I sail with a guy who has a 1970s Seiko Bellmatic which he has had since new. If you fancy something at the other end of the spectrum (and dirt cheap), I just bought myself one of these:

https://www.jomashop.com/tissot-watc...Drop+Message+1

Master
    Blog Entries
    Maybe I will just get one of these; I didn't realise they still existed ...

http://www.aquastar.ch/en/catalog/show_catalog.asp?id={9B4F5E35-D6B9-4207-9805-6C55B6B40708}

The Optimum Time watches I have had have not done so well ...

Montello,

You will find NOS versions of Aquastars if you are willing to pay the premium. Of course a properly serviced one with the correct gaskets will perform correctly, it's just a matter of patience to find the one you want in the condition you want it.

For other vintage options that are fairly common, look a Memosail. Heuer for more expensive vintage models.

For more modern regatta timers with discs rather than hand based timers, Alpina and Omega (NZL-32 for example) have brand new and recently phased out models too.

Apprentice
    Maybe I will just get one of these; I didn't realise they still existed ...

http://www.aquastar.ch/en/catalog/show_catalog.asp?id={9B4F5E35-D6B9-4207-9805-6C55B6B40708}

The Optimum Time watches I have had have not done so well ...
    Nor did I! I have just ordered one ;)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GTuned View Post
    Montello,

You will find NOS versions of Aquastars if you are willing to pay the premium.
    Any links?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eauzone View Post
    Nor did I! I have just ordered one ;)
    Me too; what do you sail?

Any links?
    I don't know of any at the moment off the top of my head, however as I used to search for watches, I came across some of these of the years on the usual channels (ebay, chrono24 etc). You could try Localtime he always has something even if it is not yet on his website. I suggest trying to message/call him he's a friendly chap.

Of course, the watches with the 251 series of movements can be pre-set for a regatta countdown using the 2 central hands (one minute, one seconds).
    You just pull the crown to position 1 and start moving the chronograph hands to position.
    So Paolo's A-13A would also be a good alternative call, using the 251.264

D

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Of course, the watches with the 251 series of movements can be pre-set for a regatta countdown using the 2 central hands (one minute, one seconds).
    You just pull the crown to position 1 and start moving the chronograph hands to position.
    So Paolo's A-13A would also be a good alternative call, using the 251.264

D
    You couldn’t fiddle about like that pre-start on a rough day. That was why the Regate was so good.

Apprentice
    Me too; what do you sail?
    Mainly on a Dragon (out of Cowes) ;0)

Tom

I sail with a guy who has a 1970s Seiko Bellmatic which he has had since new. If you fancy something at the other end of the spectrum (and dirt cheap), I just bought myself one of these:

https://www.jomashop.com/tissot-watc...Drop+Message+1
    The alarm function on those has max +/-4 min accuracy though, so useless for actual yachting races?

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

You couldn’t fiddle about like that pre-start on a rough day. That was why the Regate was so good.
    You do not have to. If you are a sailor, then you can pre-shange your start time any time you like.
    I've literally just done it, it takes 20 seconds, and your chronograph will start with a 15, 10 or 5 minute start time (whichever one you choose) every time, until you move it back later that evening in the bar with your silverware on your lap.
    D

I remember those, I worked in a Marine Chandlery as a student back in the 70s.

Too expensive then. The Memosail was way more popular, certainly amongst the dinghy sailing fraternity

http://www.regatta-yachttimers.com/w...st_edition.jpg

You do not have to. If you are a sailor, then you can pre-shange your start time any time you like.
    I've literally just done it, it takes 20 seconds, and your chronograph will start with a 15, 10 or 5 minute start time (whichever one you choose) every time, until you move it back later that evening in the bar with your silverware on your lap.
    D
    Guessing it's not possible to set it easily to 4mins57 like I do on my casio! For the 5,4,1,go sequence. When I hear the 5 min gun you count 3 secs before hitting start to get really accurate countdown. Did this back in the 60s / 70s when we had countdown stop watches in rubber waterproof cases attached to string around the neck. Start stop for 3 secs in waiting for the gun. Amazing they survived any number of capsizes but they did!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Mainly on a Dragon (out of Cowes) ;0)

Tom
    You probably know Tim Tavinor from Petticrows then ...

I'm not old enough for Dragons yet ...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by avantgardaclue View Post
    I remember those, I worked in a Marine Chandlery as a student back in the 70s.

Too expensive then. The Memosail was way more popular, certainly amongst the dinghy sailing fraternity

http://www.regatta-yachttimers.com/w...st_edition.jpg

Memosail not a nice as the Aquastar ....

Quote Originally Posted by avantgardaclue View Post
    Guessing it's not possible to set it easily to 4mins57 like I do on my casio! For the 5,4,1,go sequence. When I hear the 5 min gun you count 3 secs before hitting start to get really accurate countdown. Did this back in the 60s / 70s when we had countdown stop watches in rubber waterproof cases attached to string around the neck. Start stop for 3 secs in waiting for the gun. Amazing they survived any number of capsizes but they did!
    Actually it is. You pull the dorwn out to position 1. Both chronograph minute and second hands do a lap to tell you that you're in the right place (<1 second).
    Press the 2 pusher, and the chrono-second hand does a lap to tell you that is the one that you are setting. Set it by pressing the 4 pusher (0-59).
    Press the 2 pusher again, and the chrono-minute hand does a lap to tell you that is now the one that you are setting. Set it by pressing the 4 pusher (0-59).
    Push in the crown and screw in for 100m WR.
    Ready
    So you can make it count down from 14 mins and 53 secs if you want to.
    But there is no alarm.
    Dave

Master
    Blog Entries
    Actually it is. You pull the dorwn out to position 1. Both chronograph minute and second hands do a lap to tell you that you're in the right place (<1 second).
    Press the 2 pusher, and the chrono-second hand does a lap to tell you that is the one that you are setting. Set it by pressing the 4 pusher (0-59).
    Press the 2 pusher again, and the chrono-minute hand does a lap to tell you that is now the one that you are setting. Set it by pressing the 4 pusher (0-59).
    Push in the crown and screw in for 100m WR.
    Ready
    So you can make it count down from 14 mins and 53 secs if you want to.
    But there is no alarm.
    Dave
    Try doing that in 25knots on a Musto Skiff, no chance.

Try doing that in 25knots on a Musto Skiff, no chance.
    See my earlier reply. Think ahead

Master
    Blog Entries
    See my earlier reply. Think ahead
    3 races back to back with a couple of genera recalls, no opportunity to deal with fiddley watches.... probably ok if you race floating caravans.
    Last edited by Montello; 22nd December 2017 at 10:13.

3 races back to back with a couple of genera recalls, no opportunity to deal with fiddley watches.... probably ok if you race floating caravans.
    You misunderstand. Once you have present a start point (4min 57 sec was requested) whenever you reset the chrono (one push) it resets to exactly that point. Set it once in the car park and it can do as many as you like til you move it again

Master
    Blog Entries
    You misunderstand. Once you have present a start point (4min 57 sec was requested) whenever you reset the chrono (one push) it resets to exactly that point. Set it once in the car park and it can do as many as you like til you move it again

I understand what you are saying but if you are on a lightweight boat, single handed in rough conditions you cant always get to your watch within seconds of a gun that is why you need a flyback or sync function not typical on a standard chrono.

Master
    Grab one of these and save that beautiful Aquastar.

https://www.baysidemarine.co.uk/casi...mer-7599-p.asp

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well it has arrived and I think it is a good choice for any sailors; the functions are simple and well thought through.

I would have liked to be able to toggle the time and the countdown display but you cant do that ... also time is 24h only.

They have kept the functions of the watch very focused.

Build quality is better than most watches of this type; quite impressed.

AquaStar MatchRace II

Last edited by Montello; 10th January 2018 at 18:26.

Aquastar Regate 4000N - Realities of waterproofness ...

I use the second hand on my Fortis B52, along with the reactions of my fellow competitors. Works for me.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Is that an old Unicorn?

Yes, I had it built in 1996, won the Nationals twice with it, sold it in 2001, bought it back two years ago.
    Picture taken at Stone on the river Blackwater.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
    Yes, I had it built in 1996, won the Nationals twice with it, sold it in 2001, bought it back two years ago.
    Picture taken at Stone on the river Blackwater.

I know a few guys up on the Blackwater; look pretty breezey in that photo.

Didn't realise the Unicorn was still going; I thought A cats were the gig now.

Website isn't bad for a small class : http://www.unicorn-cats.org.uk/index...n/hall-of-fame

Grand Master
    Just been offered one of these and so did a search for same on here.Just had a full service too.Wasnt on my radar tbh and might not even buy it but it does look a cool watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Just been offered one of these and so did a search for same on here.Just had a full service too.Wasnt on my radar tbh and might not even buy it but it does look a cool watch.
    I’d still like one, ended up with a digital interpretation.

AquaStar MatchRace II
    [url=https://postimg.cc/image/69dujhskt/]
    [/url<https://s14.postimg.org/5wmgdbab5/IMG_0831.jpg%5b/img%5d%5b/url>]