closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car security trackers/immobilisers

Banned
    Blog Entries

Car security trackers/immobilisers

I need to put one of these on a new vehicle due to be delivered next month. It is not an area with which I am familiar. Does anyone have experience and can recommend what to look out for and which systems/providers are to be preferred? Thanks.

I use alltrac (biketrac) for my bike. Nothing on the car. My in laws have a ln XC90 and this has tracking built in. Can see where the car is etc from the Volvo app.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    I need to put one of these on a new vehicle due to be delivered next month. It is not an area with which I am familiar. Does anyone have experience and can recommend what to look out for and which systems/providers are to be preferred? Thanks.
    I use Biketrac on my bikes (professionally installed) and the same company has a device for cars "AutoTrac", although I don't believe they do immobilisers.
    https://autotrac.co.uk/.

If it’s a pushbike can I suggest Hexlox. Only downside is taking the required stainless bolts out.

If it’s a van can I suggest one of those big yellow things that goes over the steering wheel. I don’t know the name but thieves seem to leave vans alone that are fitted with them. You can get locks for the ladders on the roof rack too I am told.

are you doing it to protect the car or because the insurance company say you must have one?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    are you doing it to protect the car or because the insurance company say you must have one?
    Both.

Vodafone Protect & Connect 5

Not the cheapest at around £650 fitted with a year's subs and then £200 a year after that, but full singing and dancing system with a particularly good phone app.

https://automotive.vodafone.co.uk/st...connect-5.aspx

Both.
    Depending on how much they want the car, you wont stop them, we have trackers in all of the cars over 50k because the insurance companies insist, but for real security we have a large rising post physically stopping them. obviously once away from home its a different story but the only type that will work are the trackers that permanently monitor the car and don't just wait for you to report it stolen, Cobra are pretty good, since tracker have been sold they have lost the plot and will try every scam to get you to part with your cash.

Trackstar fitted to an M4 was acceptable to my insurance company
    About £500 for 3 yrs subscription plus fitting cost
    ( It was already there so reactivation/subscription only)

Vodafone is a rebranding of the Cobra systems.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thanks all. Fortunately my time in the U.K. is limited, so that reduces my risk somewhat. The car, a G Wagen, will spend much of it’s time in rural France where car thefts are less prevalent.
    I have had this system recommended to me.
    https://scorpiontrack.com/stolen-vehicle-tracking/

We use live track on the works vans, it's a cheap monthly subscription (£40 for 3 I think) and was almost nothing to originally install.

I believe it's a plug in somewhere in the engine bay, so it's not obvious if they do get pinched, has a full website to show where the vehicles are at any time, also records the standard of driving as well.

Master
    Have a look at Ghost immobilisers:
    http://autowatchghostimmobiliser.co.uk/

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Think I will be going with an insurer approved tracker (Cobra, Scorpion) plus a virtual physical barrier such as the Ghost system, which is not fob based (and therefore could be stolen along with the keys) and allows for a configurable code which is unique to you and the car i.e. car will not start without pressing certain buttons (can be steering wheel or dash based) before the ignition procedure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Have a look at Ghost immobilisers:
    http://autowatchghostimmobiliser.co.uk/
    Beat me to it!👍

The G wagen has the best in-car anti-theft system there is.... it's a G wagen!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    Indeed.

Have a "whoosh!", on me.

Thanks all. Fortunately my time in the U.K. is limited, so that reduces my risk somewhat. The car, a G Wagen, will spend much of it’s time in rural France where car thefts are less prevalent.
    I have had this system recommended to me.
    https://scorpiontrack.com/stolen-vehicle-tracking/
    Don't bother with them, I've got a Scorpion Tracker on one of mine and can't recommend it.

My friend owns and designed https://www.obdportector.com/ and he's now fitting https://stoptrack.co.uk/ to all of his vehicles and I'll be doing the same when my Scorpion lapses.

As far as I know Autowatch Ghost isn't Thatcham or Insurance approved.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    Don't bother with them, I've got a Scorpion Tracker on one of mine and can't recommend it.

My friend owns and designed https://www.obdportector.com/ and he's now fitting https://stoptrack.co.uk/ to all of his vehicles and I'll be doing the same when my Scorpion lapses.

As far as I know Autowatch Ghost isn't Thatcham or Insurance approved.
    Thanks. So what is up with Scorpion?
    i know that Ghost is not insurer approved - unsure why - but in conjunction with an appropriately assured/insured tracker?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Have a "whoosh!", on me.
    Accepted. Horses for courses.

Thanks. So what is up with Scorpion?
    i know that Ghost is not insurer approved - unsure why - but in conjunction with an appropriately assured/insured tracker?
    It's old tech now, you have to carry a fob with you and a few times I've forgotten it, but not had the call from Scorpion.

I've never managed to "ping" the device to see where the vehicle is, so best it shows was last location. It also annoys me that you only save about a fiver if you subscribe to 5 years tracking.

The Stoptrack is much better, you get a fob that goes on your keyring and if it's not present in the vehicle it simply won't start. You can also live track the vehicle and see its travel route and speed.

There's been a few instances with Ghost where someone has stolen the keys, it's not started so they've gone back in the house and threatened the owners to tell them how to start the car!

Thankfully my insurance doesn't actually require a tracker but I have it for peace of mind. Try A-Plan, they're pretty good with high value or interesting cars.
    Last edited by Alex L; 21st October 2019 at 21:40.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Alex, thank you. Food for thought.
    Despite the vehicle’s value, my insurers are not specifying a tracker either. But instinct tells me that, and an additional immobiliser, is the way to go.

Alex, thank you. Food for thought.
    Despite the vehicle’s value, my insurers are not specifying a tracker either. But instinct tells me that, and an additional immobiliser, is the way to go.
    Look into StopTrack then, I'll be having them installed next year on mine.

Can’t argue with that, never understood the appeal, and it’s not even made my Mercedes Benz

I use a steering wheel lock (Pro version) which is Thatcham approved.
    Seems like most thefts are for cat converters these days.

I'm not a customer but www.trackersecurity.co.uk
    look good and have some good videos on youtube of tracking down high end vehicles and commercial plant

You will find that GHOST is used by many high drivers now - it's unique in that it sets an immoboliser code uniquely to your car

EG; In my M3 is was a combination of buttons on the steering control settings (up volume once/down volume twice etc) There is also a valet mode if needed.