closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: LinkedIn talent- what a frustrating thing!

LinkedIn talent- what a frustrating thing!

In short I’ve posted a (paid for) job ad on LinkedIn for a business development person. Despite me describing pretty closely the role and sector I’ve been given a list of “recommended” candidates from numerous unrelated industries. So working through the seemingly neverending list and noting the lack of facility to “shortlist” (only options being to skip, reject or contact) I “skipped” the few I thought I’d want to look at again and rejected the majority. Some way in I find that I now have an archived list of umpteen people I’m not interested in but no record of those I might be. And I’ve lost an hour of my life I won’t get back and have burnt a couple of hundred quid for the privilege.

Any suggestions?

Call LinkedIn
    Tell them what you did
    They’re pretty good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I messaged them. And received a useless reply from “Anna”. Apparently they can’t reinstate the skipped candidates, so I’ve no way of reviewing those I might actually want to contact.

On the downside having posted this in G&D I have to refrain from saying exactly what I think in short pithy words.

On the positive front, this at least is in a public searchable part of the forum.

Linkedin, get your act together!

A further useless reply from a LinkedIn employee. They apparently can’t reinstate the links to candidates I inadvertently deleted. Considering they portray themselves as the professional network they should operate in a professional way.

Here are the three options for recommended candidates. Clearly whoever developed this has never employed anyone in his/her life, otherwise they would have given a clear “shortlist” option.

You have probably dodged a bullet.

Most of the chaff on LinkedIn have over inflated CV’s and high opinions of themselves which is promoted by similar people.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

There certainly are countless gilded donkeys on LinkedIn Chris- still there are good people there too.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    There certainly are countless gilded donkeys on LinkedIn Chris- still there are good people there too.
    Similar to this place in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Similar to this place in that regard.
    😃

Sadly Linkedin “Customer service” drones rival their counterparts at Ebay, Easyjet and others for unhelpfulness.

Very disappointing.

On the basis of this experience, don’t bother advertising positions on LinkedIn.

Take the philosophical view that you've lost the unlucky ones, and you didn't want them anyway :-)

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Not sure on that one Adrian.

My ex has a lifelong career in recruitment and her view was always that the good people either get head hunted or get progression without ever having to prostrate themselves via that particular platform.

Best of luck in your search.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    Like you, I thought the ‘skip’ option would leave that person on the list to review later.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Not sure on that one Adrian.

My ex has a lifelong career in recruitment and her view was always that the good people either get head hunted or get progression without ever having to prostrate themselves via that particular platform.

Best of luck in your search.
    I find this strange. It’s always good to have a LinkedIn profile these days. We’re in the age of social media and online technology. LinkedIn is just another way of advertising yourself. Every exec I’ve ever worked with has one.

It’s also not just a tool for getting a job, and is a powerful tool for professional networking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find it a very useful platform for networking

I've never used it for recruitment though

One particularly irritating thing is the volume of sales pitches dressed up as networking messages - mainly web design / marketing services or recruitment agencies.

If I read anything that begins "I am reaching out to you" I can feel my blood pressure rising

Sent from my SM-G970F using TZ-UK mobile app

I have picked up a few contracts or consulting work over the years from people tracking me down on Linked-In - I'm sure they would have found me eventually, but it just makes things a bit quicker. I haven't looked at it in anything other than keeping in touch with old colleagues and acquaintances.

I can imagine the desire of the system is to try and link as many potential candidates as possible to an open position, which especially if you are paying for the privilege somewhat defeats the purpose of making it an supposedly efficient process.
    It's just a matter of time...