closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Catalytic Converter stolen

On the other hand where I am living a bike share company went bust, left the bikes littered around the place getting rusty, young chap w no money sees one and waits for a month, it never moves (company is bust so you can not unlock it anymore). Takes angle grinder to the lock, uses it as his personal transport, catches the eye of a couple of the local finenest. Aggravated theft (he used an angle grinder) he gets the minimum penalty - 6 months in jail or he can avoid by paying the equivalent of UKP 5,000.

No comment on his actions (theft is theft) but it just goes to show the difference between places wrt to the punishment for theft.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eldrich View Post
    On the other hand where I am living a bike share company went bust, left the bikes littered around the place getting rusty, young chap w no money sees one and waits for a month, it never moves (company is bust so you can not unlock it anymore). Takes angle grinder to the lock, uses it as his personal transport, catches the eye of a couple of the local finenest. Aggravated theft (he used an angle grinder) he gets the minimum penalty - 6 months in jail or he can avoid by paying the equivalent of UKP 5,000.

No comment on his actions (theft is theft) but it just goes to show the difference between places wrt to the punishment for theft.
    Perhaps he would have been better off spending his money on a bike instead of a cordless angle grinder 😂
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Perhaps he would have been better off spending his money on a bike instead of a cordless angle grinder 
    Buy a man a bike, he’s only only got one bike. Buy him a cordless angle grinder, he’s got as many bikes as he wants.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    Buy a man a bike, he’s only only got one bike. Buy him a cordless angle grinder, he’s got as many bikes as he wants.

I hear they're the key of choice for certain sections of the community.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post

I hear they're the key of choice for certain sections of the community.
    Not called a MaKEYta for no reason...

Master
    Seems to be getting worse. Had mine stolen from outside the house middle of March. Got the car back last week and had a Catlok fitted hoping it’ll put them off. Had the courtesy car for 3 months so the insurers are being billed for £1600 I’m told, which is more than the cost of replacing the part.
    Lots of local reports of this issue recently.

Master
    One stolen at midday in our road last week, another in Hatch End last week as well, that one at 3 in the afternoon. One stolen in Morrisons Hatch End carpark,and others from North Harrow car park.

Craftsman
    A few stolen round me in the last few weeks (Epsom/Leatherhead), they seem to from Volvo’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Seems to be getting worse. Had mine stolen from outside the house middle of March. Got the car back last week and had a Catlok fitted hoping it’ll put them off. Had the courtesy car for 3 months so the insurers are being billed for £1600 I’m told, which is more than the cost of replacing the part.
    Lots of local reports of this issue recently.
    If it’s a Catloc then they’re made by my friend’s company, he now supplies direct to Toyota for a variety of models.

The theft seems to be more common on hybrids as the cat is meant to be less used on these so more sought after.

My understanding is that Suv hybrids are favorites, because they are higher off the ground so easier to access the cat, and as has been said - being hybrid the cat is cleaner.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

How much do these cats sell for? Wondering if I need to branch into a new area

Do diesels have a catalytic converter or just a DPF?

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    I don’t think they steal to sell, it’s the precious metals contained within!

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Do diesels have a catalytic converter or just a DPF?
    Catalytic converter

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I don’t think they steal to sell, it’s the precious metals contained within!
    They’re still sold...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Jazz ones go for around £250. Prius about £300.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Bloody hell, no wonder they are so brazen from the vids that I’ve seen, none of this under the cover of darkness, they just pull up, get under the car and start cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    That's a lot of precious metal in something that probably costs ~£1000 to buy.

You just need to add 'lea' to your name!
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman
    Another Rx400 cat bites the dust. Outside my home.
    Bar stewards threatened me with a baseball bat. Just concerned they might come back for the replacement

Anyone know how good the lexus mark 2 cat lock is please?

Quote Originally Posted by bins View Post
    Another Rx400 cat bites the dust. Outside my home.
    Bar stewards threatened me with a baseball bat. Just concerned they might come back for the replacement

Anyone know how good the lexus mark 2 cat lock is please?
    Nightmare. Glad to hear you are not hurt.

Journeyman
    https://youtu.be/aUlikgzaDOE

I know when I saw this video I thought to myself W.. T.. F...
    In broad daylight. Open space.

Here in Germany we have a problem with plastic fenders being cut off with reciprocating
    Saw where The would steal BMW and Benz LED / Laser lights and especially STEERING WHEELS AND GPS systems

(no need for translation)

https://youtu.be/Z1pCMmED1NE

Master
    Had mine stolen from my Ford Explorer in 2007. Sounded like a Sherman tank when I started it up:) it’s a pity scrap yards /metal merchants don’t ask questions as they are feeding this type of theft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    15-20 year old Rover V sixes are the latest target. At £400 a pop, they are worth more than most of the cars!