closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catalytic Converter stolen

Catalytic Converter stolen

Came back to my car Pedham Place Golf Centre Kent after a round of golf. Started the engine it sounded like a Spitfire. Its a Lexus RX 400h. I thought the exhaust had blown. Took it into Kwik Fit, they showed me how the thieving ba***** had cut the exhaust with a grinder.
    I was gobsmacked. Apparently stealing of these items is very common. I rang the golf club today, they were warned by the Police that these thieves were in the area. They did not sign the information as they did not want to drive away customers.
    As my car is adapted I cannot drive another vehicle.
    I hope the scum enjoy karma when it comes their way.
    A quick question?
    I need to drive the car to my garage, will it damage the car? Is it dangerous?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49767195

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wildheart; 20th October 2019 at 20:24.

Man!

Short distance should be ok.

Repair bill will be big.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Surely the cat converter is related to nothing but emissions. You could chop the whole exhaust unit off if you felt like it and it would do nothing to the engine or at other than being less green.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Man!

Short distance should be ok.

Repair bill will be big.
    Kwik Fit reckon £600 +, I’ve rung my insurance it’s covered which is a relief!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Some people will nick anything. A few years ago the boiler was stolen out of the house that I rent out. Fair play to the police because a few weeks later they found my boiler which was plumbed in to my ex-tenants new house. Shame they didn't do me the courtesy of turning the water off before they cut through the pipes :-(

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    Kwik Fit reckon £600 +, I’ve rung my insurance it’s covered which is a relief!
    I would go main dealer if you can.

Craftsman
    Family members honda accord was written off by someone stealing the cat.

Repair cost was too high Vs car value.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I would go main dealer if you can.

Very sensible suggestion !!

B

Sorry to hear this. Perhaps also make sure your insurance company know the golf club failed to pass on police warnings?

Happened to me 18 months ago.

Taken from my driveway (whilst we slept in bedroom just above) along with a few others in the road. Honda took couple of months to source a new one and insurance cost was ~£1200.

Advised not to drive it far - illegal and danger of fumes in car.

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Sorry to hear this. Perhaps also make sure your insurance company know the golf club failed to pass on police warnings?
    Pointless phone call TBH.

It's becoming a big problem nowadays.

The prices of the precious metals in the catalytic converters have skyrocketed in the last 18 months - palladium is now worth £1,300/oz, while rhodium goes for £4,000/oz. Hybrid cars are the ones most targeted as their cats are used less frequently to process pollutants, so the precious metals are less corroded.

R

Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    What a scummy world we live in.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Thieves usually target 4x4s or vans as access easier and quicker.

Had my Vito done a while ago . Apparently the Mercedes vans at the time were prime targets. It takes them less than a minute to cut them out . Luckily, I had a local garage looking after my vehicles so he didn’t charge as much as I expected.

Master
    Been in the news recently:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-49767195

And there was another thread in here last year where the same happened to another member:
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...63#post4742663

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Been in the news recently:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-49767195

And there was another thread in here last year where the same happened to another member:
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...63#post4742663
    Me!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Me!
    Look like it was expensive and took quite a while to fix unfortunately

According to some posts on the community FB group that I'm a member of there have been a few cat thefts recently, all of them from Toyota hybrids, as is yours OP. Apparently hybrid cats are worth more than from a regular combustion engine car due to the metals within the converter not being as polluted, or something like that.

Toyota have developed what they call a "Catloc" system which helps prevent such thefts however, from a post on FB, the damage that can be caused if someone tries to remove the cat with the devise fitted can cost as much as the cat itself to repair...

Edit - what ralphy said ref hybrids being targeted!
    Last edited by CardShark; 20th October 2019 at 21:56.

Took mine in to my garage this morning. There are no Toyota catalytic converters in the country. The waiting list is into 2020! Insurance will only pay for courtesy car for the repair. Plus I need an adapted vehicle. My garage are trying to source a pattern part, they need to check whether the insurance company (The AA) will sanction it.
    Mine was the second one in my garage to be targeted this weekend. The AA said they get 20 a week. BMW Air bags and Japanese Cats are the flavour of the month. Gangs are now in the South East. They will steal from your driveway if necessary. They have false plates on their vans and wear hi visibility vests. They stole from one old couples Camper van on the driveway last week in Chelmsford, in broad daylight. They watched them take it. They rang the Police..the Police said do not engage them, let them take it. The police did not attend the theft.
    Britain is fast becoming lawless in many ways. The answer seems to be, look the other way and just take the hit. Pretty sad if you ask me. Be careful out there, stay safe

They rang the Police..the Police said do not engage them, let them take it. The police did not attend the theft.
    Pathetic.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Pathetic.
    Thank you for calling heres your crime reference number to pass on to you insurance.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Had my Vito done a while ago . Apparently the Mercedes vans at the time were prime targets. It takes them less than a minute to cut them out . Luckily, I had a local garage looking after my vehicles so he didn’t charge as much as I expected.
    That’s just Manchester for you ;)

They fitted a catlok to my vito to prevent this because it was apparently so common on them

I should get my car back today? My insurance have agreed to pay the thousand plus bill. I see in the press that some of these thieves were prosecuted and received a £250 fine with £450 costs...that's a great deterrent! Here's a clip of the scum in action. Look out for them, coming to a town near you soon!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koMd_zvTkAg

Master
    I should get my car back today? My insurance have agreed to pay the thousand plus bill. I see in the press that some of these thieves were prosecuted and received a £250 fine with £450 costs...that's a great deterrent! Here's a clip of the scum in action. Look out for them, coming to a town near you soon!
    It’s a real shame the hydraulics didn’t suddenly fail on that trolley jack....

Master
    kwik fit and others generally cheaper than main dealer. My honda needed one and the Honda part was £1k, Kwik fit was £400. The Kwik fit one was the third I'd had fitted. The original died and I had it replaced by an exhaust/tyre place @£400 but this unit failed. Honda tested it and said it was faulty (I wasnt going to get into an argument with the replacement fitters) so it was replaced under warranty but failed again. It seems they had a faulty batch so I got my money refunded. The Kwik Fit one has been fine. Nissan Quashquai have been targeted for a sim card in the dash. It's easy money for the thieves and clearly there isn't a will to prosecute.

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    kwik fit and others generally cheaper than main dealer. My honda needed one and the Honda part was £1k, Kwik fit was £400. The Kwik fit one was the third I'd had fitted. The original died and I had it replaced by an exhaust/tyre place @£400 but this unit failed. Honda tested it and said it was faulty (I wasnt going to get into an argument with the replacement fitters) so it was replaced under warranty but failed again. It seems they had a faulty batch so I got my money refunded. The Kwik Fit one has been fine. Nissan Quashquai have been targeted for a sim card in the dash. It's easy money for the thieves and clearly there isn't a will to prosecute.
    My quote from Kwik fit was £1,900!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    It’s a real shame the hydraulics didn’t suddenly fail on that trolley jack....
    Exactly my thought. Utterly shameless wankers.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb

If you nééd your car, then perhaps ask your garage to fit a decat pipe temporarily. You could drive around no téchnical problem.
    Since your car ecu has environmental memory, they would need to fit an O2 sensor extender too so the environmental crime is not recorded.
    Yes, technically illegal but so is stealing the cat in the first place.

Concerning the Golf club, what good would warning the customers do?
    Also is it not the Police´s job to prevent this?
    I mean; if you catch a bloke in the act and whack him, yoú get cited!! Take a photo of him, yoú get whacked.

p.s. a decat pipe stops stealing effectively.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 23rd October 2019 at 16:46.

Master
    There is a lot of discussion on The Lexus facebook group about this.
    Long story short forget a new cat. Get the exhaust sleeved for a hundred quid or so and job done.
    Hybrids are not subject to emissions tests as the engine revs cannot be set. This also means the cat does not need to be inspected.

So far my 400h has avoided this fate but then it sits on my drive most of the time.
    Most are targeted in car parks where a spotter will note a car parking up and the team will come in and rip out the cat while shopping is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    Long story short forget a new cat. Get the exhaust sleeved for a hundred quid or so and job done.
    Hybrids are not subject to emissions tests as the engine revs cannot be set. This also means the cat does not need to be inspected.
    There is no post cat (bank 2) lambda sensor?

Blog Entries
    Can't believe the scumbags do it in broad daylight, wearing masks and nobody intervenes/calls the police! Stunning.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Can't believe the scumbags do it in broad daylight, wearing masks and nobody intervenes/calls the police! Stunning.
    That nobody intervenes is not so strange is it?

And how do you know that nobody calls the police? It´s not that those have rapid response units for theft without break in sitting on their hands.
    In the UK policing on the street has largely been replaced by surveilance cameras.
    The criminals use a stolen vehicle and wear masks, yoú on the other hand are ever so easy track and fine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post

And how do you know that nobody calls the police? It´s not that those have rapid response units for theft without break in sitting on their hands.
    In the UK policing on the street has largely been replaced by surveilance cameras.
    The criminals use a stolen vehicle and wear masks, yoú on the other hand are ever so easy track and fine.
    It's strange to me that nobody intervenes when they see a crime being committed. It's the old 'sheep or sheepdog' thing I suppose.

I would disagree about policing on the street being replaced by surveillance cameras. The police are very busy on the streets.

Yes I might be easy to track and find, but I'm not committing crimes, so largely irrelevant tbh.

I saw this a few weeks ago on a CR-Z FaceBook group. I'm very wary about leaving my car anywhere now but have no choice sometimes as I can't always park in client's car parks.

I should get my car back today? My insurance have agreed to pay the thousand plus bill.
    Is it sorted, did garage manage to source c. converter from somewhere?

If you nééd your car, then perhaps ask your garage to fit a decat pipe temporarily. You could drive around no téchnical problem.
    Since your car ecu has environmental memory, they would need to fit an O2 sensor extender too so the environmental crime is not recorded.
    Yes, technically illegal but so is stealing the cat in the first place.

Concerning the Golf club, what good would warning the customers do?
    Also is it not the Police´s job to prevent this?
    I mean; if you catch a bloke in the act and whack him, yoú get cited!! Take a photo of him, yoú get whacked.

p.s. a decat pipe stops stealing effectively.
    Agree with most of the above. The decat pipe gets you out of jail until the MOT then you'll need the CAT. So it just puts off the inevitable.
    I got the car back yesterday and am paranoid as to parking it which I suppose is natural?
    35 have been reported so far this month in Chelmsford. 3 this week at my garage.
    Its an industry problem, but one the travelling community are using to feed themselves with.

As to the golf club, I think forewarned at least we can look out for each others cars. Maybe be wary of vans come to the club? But I agree the Police don't see it as their problem.

These two were caught and prosecuted https://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/news/...ters-1-9113903
    The fine was £200 hardly a deterrent.

Master
    These two were caught and prosecuted https://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/news/...ters-1-9113903
    “this conviction shows we will investigate and bring offenders to answer their crimes before the court.”
    Ha ha ha. Joke of the year right here.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Agree with most of the above. The decat pipe gets you out of jail until the MOT then you'll need the CAT. So it just puts off the inevitable.
    I got the car back yesterday and am paranoid as to parking it which I suppose is natural?
    35 have been reported so far this month in Chelmsford. 3 this week at my garage.
    Its an industry problem, but one the travelling community are using to feed themselves with.

As to the golf club, I think forewarned at least we can look out for each others cars. Maybe be wary of vans come to the club? But I agree the Police don't see it as their problem.

The MoT is easily solved by a yearly swap over ;-)
    Just done mine.
    Less stressful than watching out for your and other´s cars.

Again, hów do you want to look out? The only sort of effective way is a manned barrier at the entrance and even that is not a guarantee. Video surveilance only registers it on video. The problem is two-fold;
    - the police does not see it as their problem
    - if you would take action thát woúld be seen as their problem; you are very much NOT allowed to take the law into your own hands
    so what do you expect the looking out to achieve?
    Even if a dozen golfers with clubs turns up on the parking lot, the thieves can simply continue and walk off.

Lexus UK have a page about it on their site: https://blog.lexus.co.uk/catalytic-converter-theft/

Our reduced price for the installation of a new catalytic converter for the second-generation Lexus RX 400h is now £750 including VAT and fitting. Your nearest Lexus centre can advise on any additional repair costs after inspecting your vehicle.
    Seems reasonable but I guess lead time will be a killer.....
    Last edited by Tabs; 24th October 2019 at 09:38. Reason: Lexus not Lexis. Partridge would have a field day with that one....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It's strange to me that nobody intervenes when they see a crime being committed. It's the old 'sheep or sheepdog' thing I suppose.

I would disagree about policing on the street being replaced by surveillance cameras. The police are very busy on the streets.

Yes I might be easy to track and find, but I'm not committing crimes, so largely irrelevant tbh.
    Ok, I will spell it out for you:
    1. intervening against masked organised crime blokes with heavy objects is .... foolhardy
    2. any fysical action from your side will be on camera too and you being recogniosable, you will be prosecuted; that is a crime see

Master
    I once had the power steering pump nicked from my Defender. Came out to drive to work and saw the puddle of hydraulic fluid on the road :-( Police said this was quite popular on land rovers because it's so easy to do... Stanley knife and a couple of bolts. You don't even need a jack.

Master
    Come MOT time, hybrids aren’t subject to an engine on emissions check, but you could fall foul of a visual inspection if there isn’t a cat fitted.

Otherwise, I’d be tempted to de-cat mine I think!

Master
    I think we really need to clamp down on theft. While it's tempting, hand removal is unpalatable to most but what about loss of all benefits including tax allowances for life on the second offence. It won't make them think until a few mates start to suffer the consequences.

We know what's going on in the video clip posted because we've been primed beforehand however it wouldn't be obvious at all to anyone passing. Few people would be aware that cat theft even exists and the act of two blokes jacking a car up could be easily interpreted as a breakdown or wheel change/flat tyre scenario i.e. completely innocent. It can't even be said that it's obvious the jack guy is obscuring his face, going by what other people in that video are wearing it appears to be quite cold out.

35 have been reported so far this month in Chelmsford.

Perfectly natural to feel paranoid about it, and it's a Chelmsford FB community group that I referred to in an earlier post.

As for that "fine"...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    I once had the power steering pump nicked from my Defender. Came out to drive to work and saw the puddle of hydraulic fluid on the road :-( Police said this was quite popular on land rovers because it's so easy to do... Stanley knife and a couple of bolts. You don't even need a jack.
    I’ve heard of a few land rovers effectively stripped for parts on owners drive ways in the night scary stuff.

Just received this from Kent Police:

Offence: Theft from motor vehicle

Report status: Following a review of this crime, the decision has been that there are no further proportionate lines of enquiry and subsequently the report has been filed pending any further information coming to light
    Should you have any further information that could assist in identifying an offender please call 101 and quote the crime report number above or alternatively, please reply to this email.

Kent Police operates the Code of Practice for Victims of Crime. This ensures you are kept updated on the progress of your crime investigation through regular contact from the police. You have automatically been opted into this. Should you not wish for these updates, please contact us.

Blog Entries
    Ok, I will spell it out for you:
    No need to spell it out, just reply.

1. intervening against masked organised crime blokes with heavy objects is .... foolhardy

They just look like couple of scrotes to me. Hardly "organised crime blokes with heavy objects"

2. any fysical action from your side will be on camera too and you being recogniosable, you will be prosecuted; that is a crime see

Ermm no, not necessarily, even if it's on camera.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Happened to me 18 months ago.

Taken from my driveway (whilst we slept in bedroom just above) along with a few others in the road. Honda took couple of months to source a new one and insurance cost was ~£1200.

Advised not to drive it far - illegal and danger of fumes in car.
    We see a few cars with nicked cats at my garage. Nearly always Honda's.