closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My first Automatic (hints and tips please)

Journeyman

My first Automatic (hints and tips please)

Ok so I have just received my first Automatic watch at the ripe old age of 40.

A Tag Heuer aquaracer calibre 5.

I’m looking for car and maintenance advice if possible (please)!

It won’t be worn everyday, so should I wind it manually everyday to keep it ticking or is it ok to be left not moving?
    How long would can I safely leave it not ticking if so?

I realise opinions may differ but just want to make sure I’m doing everything right to look after the movement.

Also I realise watch winders are an option but from doing some searching I can see it is up for debate whether they are worthwhile or detrimental to the longevity of the movement

All advice and opinions welcome!

Thanks in advance

Fraser

Last edited by fraz101; 20th October 2019 at 19:42.

Just quick it back into life when you plan to wear it.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Journeyman

My first Automatic (hints and tips please)

Nice piece. There isn’t anything wrong with not winding it. Just give it a shake and set the time/date when you come to wear it again

It should come with a manual which defines care/service intervals etc

Master
    General wisdom is to let it lie unticking in a coolish place. I try to have each of mine going at least once every two months or so. If you are going to be wearing it at least once a month, I'd not bother even thinking about having it ticking just for the sake of it.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

That’s a very nice first auto! If it winds down when you are not wearing it, pull the crown out to position 2 and wind the hands until the date changes then continue until the hands are at six o’clock, then push the crown in to the first position and change the date to that days date. Then pull out to position 2 again and set the correct time. Doing all that will avoid damage to the inner workings. I always then push the crown in and give it 10-15 winds to power the spring up and then wear it.

In general so long as you don't do anything really silly you want to think about a service in 7-10 years even if you don't wear it as oils brake down over time.

Don't make a habit of ending it by hand unless you need to before wearing it after its stopped - the keyless works in automatic watches aren't made for it.

Wear it as you please - wind it 20 times to get started if it's stopped and that's it.

Clean it with hand soap, warm water and a tooth brush in the direction of the bracelet grain once a week. Glass cleaner on a microfiber cloth is perfect for a final finish or light clean.

Don't sweat small stuffs and scratches - you will be amazed at what a service and refinish can rectify.

Lovely watch there- one of the nicest sports Tags currently available and great value for money.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Master
    Nice looking Watch, first new Tag I’ve seen for a while that I like (not a fan of Skeleton Dials).

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    In general so long as you don't do anything really silly you want to think about a service in 7-10 years even if you don't wear it as oils brake down over time.

Don't make a habit of ending it by hand unless you need to before wearing it after its stopped - the keyless works in automatic watches aren't made for it.

Wear it as you please - wind it 20 times to get started if it's stopped and that's it.

Clean it with hand soap, warm water and a tooth brush in the direction of the bracelet grain once a week. Glass cleaner on a microfiber cloth is perfect for a final finish or light clean.

Don't sweat small stuffs and scratches - you will be amazed at what a service and refinish can rectify.

Lovely watch there- one of the nicest sports Tags currently available and great value for money.

Great advice.

Lovely watch, enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird84 View Post
    Great advice.

Lovely watch, enjoy it.
    Strong username

Lovely watch!

Don’t attempt to adjust the date between the hours of 10pm and 2am.
    This is when the date change over mechanism starts to engage and you could do some damage if you try to adjust the date during that period.

I’m sure this is why Jmarchitect is telling you to adjust the date at 6am.

Journeyman
    Some great tips so far.

Thank you all for contributing and for the compliments on the watch.

It was a treat for my 40th birthday so plan on keeping it long term.

Hence me asking what’s best!

Fraser

Ooh, and if you expose it to sand, grit etc. don't turn the bezel until you can wash it in water and then gently turn it - this prevents grit scratching the bezel mechanism over time.

Blog Entries
    Seems plenty of good advice on winding etc, so just to say thats a great looking watch, often underrated I think.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Nice watch!

I can’t really add anything more to the above as I’m only a beginner(ish) myself but well done on having the guts to ask these questions. Wish I’d done so myself TBH.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fraz101 View Post
    It won’t be worn everyday, so should I wind it manually everyday to keep it ticking or is it ok to be left not moving?
    How long would can I safely leave it not ticking if so?
    Up to you, really, but a fair warning: if you wind it, you might get to like it, turn this into a habit and even end up wearing it everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    They're made exactly for it and if they don't work in practice, like in ETAs and their derivatives/clones, it only means that something in the movement has been screwed up, whether on the design or execution stage.
    (@OP: I'm coming with this statement from a matter-of-principle standpoint -- practice/'street-smartness' shows that you should heed the advice I quoted above). ;)

Grand Master
    Just dug one of my watches out last week, it hasn't been used for at least 9 months, wound it by hand, wore it approx 1 hr, checked the amplitude and it was where I’d expect it to be for this watch (265 degrees) ..........I think that’s good evidence that you really don’t need to keep them running!

Journeyman
    Can’t add anything useful to the above other than to say congrats and wear it as often as possible :)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app