closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Letting down a mainspring

Craftsman

Letting down a mainspring

Please can I pick Your brains Guys.I have a non running movement and it seems a small piece of the stem is broken off in it.Now how do I take tension off the spring or even know if it is wound and even under any tension?Watch is 17 jewel Etienne.Thanks

Craftsman
    Assuming you have the back off locate the main click. Then figure out which screwhead to use to turn the barrel slightly to unclick the click.
    Use a screwdriver on that screw and (usually) a small piece of peg wood (cocktail stick works) to lift the click free so the barrel can unwind. Control the speed of the unwinding with the screwdriver.

Dave

Grand Master
    Turn the ratchet wheel screw carefully, using a screwdriver that’s a good fit, disengage the click, keep the screwdriver in the slot and allow the spring tension to release gently.

If you are new to this work, here’s a tip. The crown wheel may be attached with a left- hand threaded screw, which should be marked as such with a line running parallel to the slot. Sometimes this isn’t present, so how do you know it’s a left hand thread? Think about the direction the crown wheel turns when winding, this is the direction the screw turns to tighten it, so if the crown wheel turns anti- clockwise as you look at it, the screw will be left- hand thread. This is to prevent it loosening when the crown wheel is turning.

Craftsman
    Excellent!! Thanks Guys.Just What I needed to know.

Craftsman
    Guys please may I ask how it is done with old brass trench watch style pin lever movements when fully wound?

Craftsman
    Pictures would help.
    But usually pretty similar

Dave

Master
    I find the best way of letting down a mainspring is honesty. Just explain that you're a bit tightly wound up at the moment, and you need some time away to relax and unwind, and everything should be fine.