closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rain X on house windows?

Rain X on house windows?

Anyone thought about spraying their home windows with Rain X?
    I stopped using a window cleaner as I couldn't justify the expense each and every month when in reality, the windows don't actually get that dirty. So I thought about chucking this Rain X stuff on the windows to prolong the cleaning intervals. Any merit to doing this?

I do it every year. Makes a big difference.

Also on the shower inside face (glass).

Wipe it around the inside of bathroom washbasin- great seeing the water disappear!

Master
    Yep I use it on all outside windows including my Velux windows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I do it every year. Makes a big difference.

Also on the shower inside face (glass).

Wipe it around the inside of bathroom washbasin- great seeing the water disappear!
    Me too, wife thought I was daft.

No brainer. Works a treat.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Never thought of trying it on anything other than the car. Will give it a go.

Master
    As a matter of interest, Is this a city problem? I've lived in the countryside my whole life (although the current house is in a city, it is the smallest city). Have never ever felt a need to clean any windows.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    As a matter of interest, Is this a city problem? I've lived in the countryside my whole life (although the current house is in a city, it is the smallest city). Have never ever felt a need to clean any windows.
    Eh? I live in the countryside and definitely need to clean windows due to dust etc! Can you see out of yours ?

Will give this a go, interested to see if it cuts down the frequency of nagging from my wife..

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Eh? I live in the countryside and definitely need to clean windows due to dust etc! Can you see out of yours ?

Will give this a go, interested to see if it cuts down the frequency of nagging from my wife..
    Never clean ours. They don't get any worse after a while.

Shower a good idea though, I'll try tomorrow.

Master
    A wee aside, once finished in the shower we have one of those flexible blades they sell for use on car after washing-never use one on the car though- and wipe the walls and glass panel down, helps stop water marks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Never clean ours. They don't get any worse after a while.

Shower a good idea though, I'll try tomorrow.
    You may be shocked at how much light there is if you ever do clean them.

We moved recently and a window cleaner came around to say that he’d cleaned for the previous owner for 15 years.

Price to clean them now was £19

I said “Great - please do it every 3 months”

He said “it’s £19 if I come each month, if you only want a clean every 3 months it’s £29 a time”

WTF?

Rain X - brilliant stuff. Defo worth using on the windows if you don’t want to use a window cleaner. Great on your car windows too, especially the rear one which usually judders a lot without.

Master

Nope, they're never been cleaned (growing up that meant my bedroom windows were not cleaned for 20 years). I've never found any build up of dust or anything else, always nice and clean and clear. That's why I asked. While a student in London my windows needed constant attention.

I’m in south east England so maybe still too close to towns then!

Master
    I’m in south east England so maybe still too close to towns then!
    The windows in the country have always been of the wavy old achool glass variety, so it's also possible that I just don't know what a clear window really looks like :D

My windows at the front of the house get dirty quicker than the ones at the back. Mainly dust and spider's webs. There's been loads of people doing house extensions in my road so I attribute most of the dust to that.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    We moved recently and a window cleaner came around to say that he’d cleaned for the previous owner for 15 years.

Price to clean them now was £19

I said “Great - please do it every 3 months”

He said “it’s £19 if I come each month, if you only want a clean every 3 months it’s £29 a time”

WTF?

Rain X - brilliant stuff. Defo worth using on the windows if you don’t want to use a window cleaner. Great on your car windows too, especially the rear one which usually judders a lot without.
    Don’t even get me started on this...I caught the bloke who does my neighbours in the summer.

I asked him to do mine every couple of months on his rounds. He said nah I come every 3-4weeks take it or leave it. The cheek of it

Quote Originally Posted by Sean89 View Post
    Don’t even get me started on this...I caught the bloke who does my neighbours in the summer.

I asked him to do mine every couple of months on his rounds. He said nah I come every 3-4weeks take it or leave it. The cheek of it
    Yes they all do that. The ones near me also only seem to accept payment by posting a cheque to them, ridiculous. Better I think just to pay for a clean once a year, but they all want the steady stream of income.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Yes they all do that. The ones near me also only seem to accept payment by posting a cheque to them, ridiculous. Better I think just to pay for a clean once a year, but they all want the steady stream of income.
    The accountant in me doesn’t understand...steady stream of income is most desirable for sure, but turning down work with no additional cost (Beyond time on existing rounds) just does not compute.

I was told by a bathroom fitter that a previous customer of his waxes the bathroom tiles (but not on grouting) which keeps tiles really clean.

For my car I use Angelwax H2Go glass sealant which lasts 2-3 months on windscreen and over 4 months on side windows. For shower screen I would expect 4 months or so. Angelwax is more expensive but think it is a fantastic product.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Why have I never thought I’d using this on my house windows! game changer haha! That’s today’s job! Thanks Op lol

Is the spray Rain-X just sprayed on and left? I’ve always used the bottled version on windscreen which has to be buffed afterwards so not too convenient up a ladder.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Is the spray Rain-X just sprayed on and left? I’ve always used the bottled version on windscreen which has to be buffed afterwards so not too convenient up a ladder.
    There’s a glass cleaner with rain x in it that is sprayed on and then wiped off. It’s not that good to be honest and I’ve found the buffing kind is the best.

Also I have tried a wax sealer on my windows which works well and is less effort than rain x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sean89 View Post
    The accountant in me doesn’t understand...steady stream of income is most desirable for sure, but turning down work with no additional cost (Beyond time on existing rounds) just does not compute.
    I don't think they are necessarily the smartest businessmen.... But I expect it is because if they are in an area regularly, they want to do as many houses as possible each trip.

I think the window-cleaners expect the householder to fold and agree to the schedule.

Pay by cheque? Unusual - unless they are trying to build up the business to sell.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    A wee aside, once finished in the shower we have one of those flexible blades they sell for use on car after washing-never use one on the car though- and wipe the walls and glass panel down, helps stop water marks.
    This is what the Karcher window vac was made for, literally dries the shower cubicle & walls.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    I do that as well, on the tiles too. Takes 20 seconds at most.

Here in Norfolk’n’good the water is harder than a Kray. Prevents all that limescale.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    I do that as well, on the tiles too. Takes 20 seconds at most.

Here in Norfolk’n’good the water is harder than a Kray. Prevents all that limescale.
    Problem with that I'd have to shower last as I can't imagine anyone else in our household doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Have you thought of getting a Water Softener? Living in a hard water area, I wouldn't be without one.

Master
    How long does the RainX last on house windows before needing another application? Also, for those that use it, do you normally get your windows cleaned first and then apply it?
    Must admit we have been very slack about our windows so this might be worth a try for us.

Cheers