closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New York Family City Break - Top Tips?

Banned
    Blog Entries

New York Family City Break - Top Tips?

The Vessel at Hudson’s Yard is quite a spectacle. It opened earlier in the year. It is opposite a reasonably stocked WOS too, which is a bonus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Skyman; 5th November 2019 at 23:06.

All done now.

Actually over a week ago now so thanks for all the tips.

Great time but expensive and tiring!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Great pics.

Glad you did the 9/11 Museum - incredible place. What did you think of it?
    So clever my foot fell off.

We did a private group tour of the wider Memorial one day which was really good and really brought to life the story of 9/11.

It was getting late in the day (and Mrs R was tired) so we went back the next day to do the museum which was a good decision as you need 2-3 hours minimum to get around..

Museum was excellent albeit a bit draining in parts but overall sensitively and intelligently designed.

Definitely a highlight of the trip.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Glad you got to the Ghostbuster's fire station!

I stumbled across it when i was there once and thought it was cool.

Thread revival, didn’t want to start a new thread.

I’m off to New York and have the below as a loose idea of things to do, or at least options.

Vessel is temporarily closed so can’t go there. Possibly a bit light on dinner options.

Anything obvious I’m missing? Really keen on pancakes if anyone has a suggestion. Thank you
    Attractions:
    The edge
    MOMA
    Guggenheim
    Top of the rock and bar one level down
    Dumbo - manhattan bridge
    Brooklyn bridge lookout
    New York skyline lookout

Food:
    Lexington Candy Store
    Joe’s pizza
    Starbucks special (refinery)
    Halal Guys
    Levain Bakery
    Rays candy store
    Peter Pan donut and pastry shop
    Wed night 5pm Lucali
    Halal guys
    Katz deli
    Ellen’s Stardust Diner

Events:
    Basketball. NY Knicks Vs Utah Jazz
    Theatre
    NY rangers ice hockey

Other:
    Comedy club

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    anyone has a suggestion. Thank you
    Yeah, take a double sized wallet - we went in October '22 and prices of everything had soared tremendously since a previous visit in Oct '17

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Yeah, take a double sized wallet - we went in October '22 and prices of everything had soared tremendously since a previous visit in Oct '17
    I’ve just paid £400 for two tickets for the basketball. Absolutely brutal, don’t know how the stadiums are packed with that pricing.

Master
    We enjoyed walking the high line ( it’s probably been mentioned before)

I'm going to New York this weekend as well. Already been a victim of a robbery (in the form of the prices I paid for tickets to the Harry Potter Musical)

Craftsman
    Takes trip over to Hoboken, good bars and restaurants and great views of the Manhattan skyline.

Master
    Visit Grand Central and the dining concourse therein.

Try and get some Broadway theatre Rush tickets to see a show cheaply.

If you're going with the family try and take in a broadway show. When we took the kids we saw Roald Dahl's Matilda, it was bloody marvelous!

I’m off to New York and have the below as a loose idea of things to do, or at least options.

Vessel is temporarily closed so can’t go there. Possibly a bit light on dinner options.

Anything obvious I’m missing? Really keen on pancakes if anyone has a suggestion. Thank you
    That's going to be a hectic weekend!

Yes, your missing the USS Intrepid Air and Space museum onboard a real WW2 aircraft carrier. It even has a space shuttle there.

Well worth a visit.

As the OP happy to pass on a couple of food tips.

Rubirosa - Really cool pizza place in Greenwich village and awesome thin crisp pizzas and pasta. I’m not a massive pizza fan but I dragged the family back for second helpings.

Blacktap Beer & Shake Shop - Fairly low key looking bar that does incredible instagram worthy milkshakes. Make sure you’re hungry!

Greydog Cafe - Excellent neighbourhood breakfast and coffee shop in the West Village. Good mix of locals and tourists. Just make sure to ask them to hold the onions bizarrely served with then breakfast pancakes I ordered.

Have a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Yes, your missing the USS Intrepid Air and Space museum onboard a real WW2 aircraft carrier. It even has a space shuttle there.

Well worth a visit.
    Absolute must visit imo. Don’t miss the opportunity to go round the submarine that’s there either.

Blog Entries
    Indeed, NY has become eye-watering expensive! Up to the level of Switzerland... I bought a can of Folgers coffee last May and that was $ 11.00

As said we were there in May/June and it was HOT. 40°C in town. My wife is a 'regular' when it comes to NY and she never goes to a hotel, she always rents and apartment; sometime a small one, but often a little bigger. Nicer when you're 10days or so in NY. We stayed at the Lombardy in 56E street, just south of Central Park. https://lombardyhotel.com All apartments are privately owned but for rent in one building with a front desk and janitor etc. Clever use of doors in the hall allows you to have more apartments linked when you're with a larger group / family and still want privacy of your own apartment. It's a safe part of NY. Although I've seen a rat the size of a chihuahua trotting along with a lady who was doing her Saturday morning run. ("Mmm... I haven't seen a single chihuahua without a leash that so under control as this one! Oh wait, it's a rat!")

The Boathouse lunch in Central Park was really nice (reservations recommended!), The Pixie Scout Canteen in Battery Park has really good coffee for a fair price. And the view is great. Barnes and Noble's coffee corner is another spot where price are (were) not insane.

Ground Zero is impressive. But downtown NY is a mess. Lots of people selling weed and hash. It's legalized and the town smells like Amsterdam 10, 15 yrs ago. The biggest mistake the NY city council could make.

Everybody is talking about the Central Park, but here's an alternative. Leave the park on the East side, south of the Guggenheim. Keep on walking east until you see the Carl Schulz Park. Personally, I think it's nicer than C.P. And your trip leads you through the most expensive neighbourhood on the planet (Well, I'm told it is).

Just south of the Trump Tower: again, walk east and you'll end up on Sutton Square where Freddy Mercury used to have a house. There's a very small park overlooking the East River. Paid for by the residents of Suttons Square; the city council had no idea of funding the park.

The Swatch Store on Times Square usually has the Omega X Swatch collection in stock. Do not parade in and ask loudly. Be modest and quiet about it and ask a sales person in a private conversation about the collection. They don't want a stampede. I got mine in a Flick-Flack paper bag... and was asked not to unpack it in front of the shop... But that was in May.

Ellis Island was impressive; especially the information about 'processing' all the immigrants and how to get them to their final destination.

A trip to Roosevelt Island in the East River is nice. Check out the various way to go to and return from the island.

Go to Morrisania in the Bronx. That's were my wife's family originates from (even before 1776). Not really a landmark nowadays... but a Place of Pilgrimage in my household.

When you're a fan: do the Sopranos Tour! You'll pay a visit to the Muffler Man, the Bada Bing (I got the T-shirt) still a 'Gentlemen's club' and Holsten's where the last scene ends (Again, I got the T-shirt). It's 2.5 - 3hr field trip, but for real fans a 'must'. I do think that Holstens was the most amazing spot; they didn't even change the interior for the Sopranos series!

Last edited by thieuster; 7th February 2023 at 00:08.

Not sure if its already been mentioned, but I enjoyed a walk along the High Line. Worth doing if you want to escape the streets for a bit.

Blog Entries
    Oh I forgot that one! Good suggestion. and indeed very nice, but I think that the weather needs to be fair for that: otherwise it's pretty windy and in this time of the year there's not much to see, flower/plant-wise.

Thanks guys, fantastic suggestions, really appreciate it. Saw Wicked last time and it was great but just seen it’s raining Thursday so will try for a show then.

Going to see the Knicks on Saturday but other than that we’re open. Will try and plan it a bit better on the plane.

I’ve never seen all of the sopranos, just bits of it, so it might be wasted on us but I have just downloaded series 1 to watch on the plane.

Just finished packing and I’m up in 3 hours. Obviously a great planner.

Master
    Safe travels Wileeeeeey. Enjoy the trip.

Blog Entries
    ^^^ this ^^^

And show us some pics. Always nice!

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Indeed, NY has become eye-watering expensive! Up to the level of Switzerland... I bought a can of Folgers coffee last May and that was $ 11.00
    Last October I had a trip that took in Lausanne, Geneva and New York - I'd say the Big Apple wins.

I can honestly say that I have eaten the best pizza in my life in Roberta's Pizza - there is a branch behind Central Station in Urbanspace (curiously my previous best pizza award was a restaurant in Kabul run by a Croatian couple).

https://www.robertaspizza.com/230-park

A colleague took me to McSorley's Ale House in East Village which I was quite taken with though it's more about the place and the atmosphere rather than the beer.

https://mcsorleysoldalehouse.nyc/

I'd also recommend the International Centre of Photography if that's your thing - you could combine this with a trip to Chinatown.

https://www.icp.org/
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Black Iron Burger on 38th is probably the best burger I’ve eaten, period. Much better than 5 Napkin Burger.

Westway Diner in Hells Kitchen is our favourite breakfast spot, don’t judge it by the outside.

Pershing Sq by Grand Central is a nicer venue but about 3 times the price.

Sottocasa Pizza in Harlem is fantastic. We walked from 34th to 121st picking up Central Park, Guggenheim etc on the way.

Jonny’s Luncheonette is a small American diner in an airstream type caravan just outside the financial district, another good one we enjoyed.

Katz, did it again & then remembered why we said we wouldn’t. Over priced and over rated.

If you like fried chicken then have a look at Jacobs Pickles ridiculous portions, so go hungry.

Instead of Top of the Rock, Empire State etc, have a look at The Edge at Hudsons Yard. The only place where you can see all of the main buildings as you’re not standing at the top of one. Plus has a cool glass floor to stare down to ground level from. You can also climb up the top and lean out in a harness if you are brave / stupid.

Ellis island was really interesting, didn’t do it the first two trips, and also Circle Line sight seeing cruise, really good few hours, lots of insights and good views.

Worst place we felt was the Guggenheim, rip off to go in & be able to go up vs stay in the entrance. Guess it depends what exhibition is there, but we found it really dull and a disappointment.

I used an app called footpath & planned walking routes picking up everything we wanted to see. Found it very useful in planning where we’d be at what time to allow lunch decisions. We did it all on foot in the middle of the heatwave last May. Can send you the routes if you wanted, drop me a pm. Free version of the app will let you view. I paid for a month to be able to save & edit them.

Oh and the whole place stinks of weed now it is legalised.

Master
    Ooops missed the fact you’re landed by now I assume! Enjoy!!

Just landed but not yet parked

Could be the 2 hours sleep but couldn’t stop laughing when the air hostess came over and said “Two Muslim meals?” for the food. Never heard it called that before.

Of course it was curry but not a bad curry at all.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 7th February 2023 at 18:36.

Master
    Just landed but not yet parked

Could be the 2 hours sleep but couldn’t stop laughing when the air hostess came over and said “Two Muslim meals?” for the food. Never heard it called that before.

Of course it was curry but not a bad curry at all.
    Damn, should try that option - any pic with the cover off?

Enjoy your trip my friend!

Food tour was fun and good value

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Just back from NYC last week. My last visit was December 2021

So personal view…..

The Edge is the best observation deck in NYC. We were lucky as a family friend works for the Hudson Yards development company so he booked us a table at the restaurant one floor above called Peak

Loved the Intrepid museum and paid extra for the Concorde tour which was cool

Had a full day exploring on foot. Little Italy, Chinatown, Freedom tour area and over to Brooklyn. Time out market in Brooklyn is worth a visit. Great views of the bridges.

Personal highlight was walking back across to Manhattan. I’m good with heights but no one mentioned the wooden slats.

Ghostbusters building was cool to see

My partner’s son wanted to do natural history museum. Not my thing but lots to see

Went to Wicked (note you did previously)

Lots of other stuff but won’t bore everyone. Some pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cheers Carlton. First TZ recommendation of the day.

Excellent.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    We booked one of these people when we went.
    https://www.bigapplegreeter.org/

Oh, there’s one other thing I cannot recommend highly enough. We did it, and have since recommended it to many friends who have all agreed it was the absolute highlight:

It’s called The Ride, and it’s an experience you’ll never forget.

Just checked and unfortunately it doesn’t reopen until the spring, but I’ll leave this here for anyone else who might be thinking of going:

https://experiencetheride.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Oh, there’s one other thing I cannot recommend highly enough. We did it, and have since recommended it to many friends who have all agreed it was the absolute highlight:

It’s called The Ride, and it’s an experience you’ll never forget.

Just checked and unfortunately it doesn’t reopen until the spring, but I’ll leave this here for anyone else who might be thinking of going:

https://experiencetheride.com/
    Is that run by the Tories?

Blog Entries

I would also suggest this if you have time. Cable car to Roosevelt island

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blog Entries
    Yeah! That what I was referring to a few postings up. But your great pics make it better than a single line in my summary.

On my penultimate day of the NYC trip and overall I've enjoyed it. Even though we've stayed in the supposed busy area (Times Square) I haven't found it to be that busy (certainly less crowded than London).

My one criticism is that they've legalised marijuana and there's basically a strong smell of weed everywhere, plus visible signs of organised crime cartels operating (for example people openly selling counterfeit watches and handbags on the street).

People here have in general been very nice, subway is easy to use, the streets are much cleaner than I was told to expect also.

Mate of mine has just come back from NY, and said it is now effing expensive. I have been a few times, not recently, but have always found it reasonable.

He said he went for a meal in an Italian in Manhattan, nothing fancy. One of the cheapest option was lasagne at $30. Then one you add mandatory 20% tip and 10% sales tax, you are up at $40 or £33 given the crappy exchange rate. For a plate of lasagne!

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Mate of mine has just come back from NY, and said it is now effing expensive. I have been a few times, not recently, but have always found it reasonable.

He said he went for a meal in an Italian in Manhattan, nothing fancy. One of the cheapest option was lasagne at $30. Then one you add mandatory 20% tip and 10% sales tax, you are up at $40 or £33 given the crappy exchange rate. For a plate of lasagne!
    Yes this has been an observation I've had as well but I think it is more a factor of our terrible exchange rate.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    On my penultimate day of the NYC trip and overall I've enjoyed it. Even though we've stayed in the supposed busy area (Times Square) I haven't found it to be that busy (certainly less crowded than London).

My one criticism is that they've legalised marijuana and there's basically a strong smell of weed everywhere, plus visible signs of organised crime cartels operating (for example people openly selling counterfeit watches and handbags on the street).

People here have in general been very nice, subway is easy to use, the streets are much cleaner than I was told to expect also.
    Marijuana smell... You're absolutely correct! Worse than Amsterdam. Which, btw, will put a ban on public smoking of weed. Starting May 1st. We discussed the smell with an Uber driver. Always a great source of information! We told him that we (Dutch) are 30 yrs ahead of NY's legal selling/smoking but that we want to end it. We also told him about the gang wars and rip deals connected with harvested plants. He was sur that the city council had't thought about that!

About prices: it's a NY thing. Not even a tourist-like thing. And very locally. I heard that other, non-tourist spots in NY are much cheaper. Same goes for Boston. Prices there are only 1/2 or 1/3 of the NY prices. In fact, I checked an online menu of a restaurant in SW Florida, a restaurant where had dinner multiple times when the boys were small lads. Those prices are still reasonable; +15% compared with 2018. Can't say that's madness.

BTW, Boston is a nice city to visit! Recommended! Renting bikes and Ubers will get you everywhere. Public transport there is also fine as we experienced last May.

Thanks for all the recommendations guys. Got back yesterday morning but have been comatose.

New York is seriously expensive and yep the smell of weed is everywhere but the homelessness was the most shocking thing for me. People who genuinely look like the zombies staggering around the place and sleeping around every corner who are just seemingly waiting to die. Really shocking.

Didn’t get to do the bar at top of the rock, google maps said it was temporarily closed, but did go on The Edge so avoided Summit One.

Hard to find good food out there but I would recommend joes pizza for a quick bite. The best breakfasts we had were at Buvette next to the Friends apartment and In Common Cafe NYC which is just a simple egg and cheese bagel. Most places don’t really have seating areas and just want you walking and eating like a true American.

Rush tickets was a great idea and got us prime tickets for not a huge amount of money at Funny Girl and we saw the Knicks Vs Utah Jazz which was good although not the most exhilarating game.

Popped into a Rolex store in the meat packing district which puts the stores here to shame. Didn’t want to go full tourist with pics but it was easily the best retail store I’ve been into for watches - a common theme in New York.