closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Can anybody recommend a brilliant optician? (South East / London)

Master

Can anybody recommend a brilliant optician? (South East / London)

Took my son to Specsavers for an eye test. The optician wasn't great IMO. She ended the test by saying a small prescription is required, but it is marginal and so maybe get another test done in a couple of weeks before you decide!

So we did another test (at a different branch) and there was a prescription but it wasn't again definitive and the supposed prescription was very different from the first time for some reason.

I still wasn't convinced and ended up getting a third test done at a local independent, which I thought would be the best option...let's just say it was a total shambles. Less said the better.

Therefore in short - I need good advice from an experienced optician as I do not want to get this wrong and get him to wear glasses which are not correct for him.

Happy to travel and any recommendations appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

I'm not a qualified optician, so I wouldn't feel comfortable with comparing the results of two eye tests without fully understanding exactly what they meant and what a change in the reported values actually means. It's entirely possible that what looks like a big numerical difference to you is actually tiny in the scheme of eye tests. Do you know what you're comparing and what it means?

Master
    You are correct. Hence me asking for advice about it. I am slightly clueless.

I am comparing the proposed prescription from test 1 and test 2. In other words the lens they were going to put in the glasses.

Gotcha. How old is your son? The fact that the first one suggested waiting a few weeks to me suggests they foresaw some relatively rapid development, hence their recommendation to not buy glasses at that time. If anything, the fact that the second test does appear quite different would give me confidence in the first optician's abilities with giving advice that considers your and your son's needs.

Master
    I can recommend Cubitts at Borough market.

https://cubitts.com/blogs/stores/the-borough

The optician is

https://www.linkedin.com/in/betony-spall-641b34a0

She’s extremely thorough and identified an issue with my eyes during a routine exam and arranged a referral, etc.

Most eye tests I e had have been awful and tiring experiences. I’m not convinced that they have been as accurate as they could have been, as I find any pressure on my nose irritating and that alone affects my eyesight.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Myself and the family having been using https://www.hoddbarnesdickins.co.uk/ in Holborn for years. Thoroughly recommend them.

Master
    Sorry I have no recommendations just an observation- whenever I have been I’ve always come away asking myself if I’ve given the. ‘Right answers’ if that makes sense. As I see it a lot of the test is just interpretation of your answers to their questions- am I taking BS?

I can highly recommend Eyediology: https://www.eyediologyopticians.co.uk/

I’ve been going to opticians since I was about 14 and they are by far the best I have ever used.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    I can highly recommend Eyediology: https://www.eyediologyopticians.co.uk/

I’ve been going to opticians since I was about 14 and they are by far the best I have ever used.
    I used to use them and had a lot of problems with the fit of glasses and bad setup on several occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    I used to use them and had a lot of problems with the fit of glasses and bad setup on several occasions.
    I’m amazed to hear that, I thought they were brilliant, and fantastically helpful when I had a weird vision problem, but obviously my experience was not universal.

Master
    Thanks all for the recommendations. Will review and make some calls early next week.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    I’m amazed to hear that, I thought they were brilliant, and fantastically helpful when I had a weird vision problem, but obviously my experience was not universal.
    I think they have three stores. My bad experience has been with Shad Thames not the Liverpool Street store.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    I think they have three stores. My bad experience has been with Shad Thames not the Liverpool Street store.
    Didn’t realise they had more than one store - don’t seem to be listed on their website - I only knew about the Commercial Street location which is where I went.

Master
    If you would care to post the prescriptions you have obtained to date then maybe one or two of us would comment. There are at least 2 very quaified ECPs on TZ.
    Sadly I'm not very close to your area or I'd offer my services.

Master
    The first result recommended a prescription of:
    R +0.5 L +1.25

The second:
    R +1.5 L +2.75

The first said that they should be worn at all times if issued. The first also recommended referral to an eye hospital as they mentioned that there is a diference between the two eyes and said that perhaps an eye patch could be required to ensure the left eye works harder. (The difference between the two eyes appears greater in the second test, so this also confused me). However, I had little faith in this test as the lady also said it is not very definitive! That I should get it repeated after two weeks. Very conflicting advice. I sense she was a fairly new professional. But I did follow her advice to go for a second test.

The second said that they would only be needed for reading or close range screen time but not watching TV, school whiteboard, etc. Also that they are possibly only needed or a matter of months or 1-2 years and then the eye may grow and sort itself out. The prescription is higher than the first one.

As you can see, two very different opinions and these two tests were not that far apart so I don't think the eye would have changed much.

My concern is that they are so far apart, who do I go with. Clearly cannot follow both pieces of advice as they are very different. It must come down to judgement / experience of the professional themselves, hence me wanting to take my son to someone we can trust and rely upon.

Master
    Can’t you speak to someone more senior at the first branch you attended and express your concerns? Give that person an opportunity to review the original results?

Craftsman
    Any independent one.
    Avoid the chains.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by usedtobelurch View Post
    Any independent one.
    Avoid the chains.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Not true in all circumstances. I used Boots opticians in Hammersmith for a few years before covid and found them helpful, thorough and no hard sell.

During covid when I was working from home I used a local independent who gave me the wrong prescription first time so the glasses were like looking through butter. I had another test and different prescription and it took two sets of lenses to get it right.

So much seems to depend on luck of the draw.
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 12th February 2023 at 14:47.

Master
    I used to use Specsavers but moved to boots a few years ago and have always been happy with the five different branches we have used as a family.

Sent from my A063 using Tapatalk

The big chains are on course for getting far more NHS work pushed their way, and are investing in some really high end equipment as a result. It depends what you're after, but I wouldn't discount the big chains just because they're big.

Master
    PM sent.
    Too many variables currently to answer usefully but I've put a few suggestions in.
    David

My wife is a dispensing optician and she says both tests cannot be right, unless there has been some kind of trauma between them and that would have been apparent.

You need to talk to someone senior at the optician who tested you and get a proper test done.

As you've paid for two tests, presumably, they need to do a third for free to confirm which is right (if either!)

Was this his first test?

M

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 12th February 2023 at 21:37.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Thank you all for the great advice. This forum is brilliant and resourceful and members often take time out to share their experience which is unlike anything else on the internet.

It wasn't his first test, he had one last June which seemed to be fine.

DavidL you have been incredibly helpful over PM and sorry for taking up so much of your time. Your messages have explained a lot to someone as clueless as me on such a topic.

I think I now have a plan for next steps.

I have made a fundraiser contribution as a general thank you to the forum and members who have been so helpful.

Master
    No bother, you're welcome. Hopefully you'll find somewhere close by you're happy with.

Master
    Fundamentally the optician is reliant on your son to also provide information during the test that is progressive and consistent .

It may be that the first optician was merely being polite by suggesting you get another test in a couple of weeks as your son was maybe nervous or upset and not providing meaningful answers as to the effect of differing magnifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Thank you all for the great advice. This forum is brilliant and resourceful and members often take time out to share their experience which is unlike anything else on the internet.

It wasn't his first test, he had one last June which seemed to be fine.
    Seems unlikely, assuming 'seemed to be fine' meant no suggested prescription, that the second test can be correct then.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?