closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Migrating to a new NAS

Master

Migrating to a new NAS

I know there’s a few very IT literate people on here, so I thought I’d seek some advice.

I’m upgrading my Mac setup which is currently:

Mac Mini 2012 with home folders on an external G-Tech drive connected to the Mac with Thunderbolt

Synology 415play connected on Ethernet via the router, raid 5

The home folders sync to the 415 using Goodsync, and there are also some archive files on the 415

The 415 backs up using hyper back up to a further usb external drive connected directly

Time machine backs up os and apps only to another drive connected via usb to the Mac

My new set up will be:

iMac with 3tb fusion
    Gtech 4tb thunderbolt 3 for photo/video
    Synology 918+ (also to be set up raid 5)

I’ve just received the new NAS, so want to get this set up if I can, which means copying all my existing data to it.

1) can I connect the new NAS to the existing set up via the router? I assume the router will just allocate it a new IP, but wanted to check.

2) if I set up the new NAS using my MacBook, can I just then connect it to my Mac mini and subsequently the iMac?

3) once the new NAS is set up, what’s the easiest way to migrate the data from the old set up to the new - drag and drop from the old NAS?

As a final ask, is anyone using the synology Calendar app? I’d quite like to move away from google calendar so Sergei Bryn doesn’t know secret stuff like when the in-laws are coming and when I’ve got a dentist appointment, and set up personal and family calendars on the 918. Had a go, on the current, but I can’t really visualise how it works, like how to view the calendar on iphone and from another browser outside my network

Thanks all,

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    I know there’s a few very IT literate people on here, so I thought I’d seek some advice.

I’m upgrading my Mac setup which is currently:

Mac Mini 2012 with home folders on an external G-Tech drive connected to the Mac with Thunderbolt

Synology 415play connected on Ethernet via the router, raid 5

The home folders sync to the 415 using Goodsync, and there are also some archive files on the 415

The 415 backs up using hyper back up to a further usb external drive connected directly

Time machine backs up os and apps only to another drive connected via usb to the Mac

My new set up will be:

iMac with 3tb fusion
    Gtech 4tb thunderbolt 3 for photo/video
    Synology 918+ (also to be set up raid 5)

I’ve just received the new NAS, so want to get this set up if I can, which means copying all my existing data to it.

1) can I connect the new NAS to the existing set up via the router? I assume the router will just allocate it a new IP, but wanted to check.

2) if I set up the new NAS using my MacBook, can I just then connect it to my Mac mini and subsequently the iMac?

3) once the new NAS is set up, what’s the easiest way to migrate the data from the old set up to the new - drag and drop from the old NAS?

As a final ask, is anyone using the synology Calendar app? I’d quite like to move away from google calendar so Sergei Bryn doesn’t know secret stuff like when the in-laws are coming and when I’ve got a dentist appointment, and set up personal and family calendars on the 918. Had a go, on the current, but I can’t really visualise how it works, like how to view the calendar on iphone and from another browser outside my network

Thanks all,
    Morning Martin, how's the Supersonic? I decided against the Codebreaker (for now) and purchased a Sea Dweller 126600.

To answer your questions:

1. Correct. Your router should see the NAS. Generally you can easily get into the NAS configuration interface though some NASs require you to install a small piece of software to search for and setup the NAS access.

2. Yes, you should be able to see it from any computer on your network though see above re the occasional requirement for a small bit of software to initially setup.

3. The quickest way is to have either both on the network and drag and drop. Alternatively some NASs allow you to daisy chain i.e. connect two NAS devices directly to each other via Ethernet and this would be the fastest. However, I would take this opportunity to restart all back-ups from scratch.

I use a Thecus NAS that is now around 15 years old and has a PC power supply half in and half out of the case after the original power supply failed. I will be looking at a new one at somepoint, probably when a drive fails. I haven't had a drive fail for over 10 years since I decided to leave it switched on 24/7. I currently have the NAS setup with two RAIDs: a RAID5 to which I backup and a RAID0 that serves music and video (copied to the RAID0 for this purpose as it removes all lag) around the house.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post

3. The quickest way is to have either both on the network and drag and drop. Alternatively some NASs allow you to daisy chain i.e. connect two NAS devices directly to each other via Ethernet and this would be the fastest. However, I would take this opportunity to restart all back-ups from scratch.
    I’d suggest the bit in bold could be well meaning but poor advice if you start again but do not keep your old nas around you are removing your backups prior to using the new nas.

I’ve never used GoodSync but suggest you look into how that allows for backup replication or migration, id expect it will allow you to replicate the existing backups to the new drive.

Once done I’d try a couple of restores to prove the backups integrity before decommissioning the old platform.

Master
    Hi Alan, thanks for the help. Supersonic gets a few comments in London, where everyone seems to be issued with a Sub on starting a job in the software industry!

my study is a bit full of kit, so I’ll commission the NAS elsewhere and then connect it to the router alongside the old one, then move the data over - per Captain Morgan’s comment below, I’ll still have everything on the old NAS, the NAS backup, and also the gtech drive, which I won’t erase till I’m sure everything is working on the new system.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Morning Martin, how's the Supersonic? I decided against the Codebreaker (for now) and purchased a Sea Dweller 126600.

To answer your questions:

1. Correct. Your router should see the NAS. Generally you can easily get into the NAS configuration interface though some NASs require you to install a small piece of software to search for and setup the NAS access.

2. Yes, you should be able to see it from any computer on your network though see above re the occasional requirement for a small bit of software to initially setup.

I use a Thecus NAS that is now around 15 years old and has a PC power supply half in and half out of the case after the original power supply failed. I will be looking at a new one at somepoint, probably when a drive fails. I haven't had a drive fail for over 10 years since I decided to leave it switched on 24/7. I currently have the NAS setup with two RAIDs: a RAID5 to which I backup and a RAID0 that serves music and video (copied to the RAID0 for this purpose as it removes all lag) around the house.

I believe there was some misunderstanding regarding the backups. The only backups I was referring to were any that were going to be on the new NAS.

Master
    And perhaps I misinterpreted, i’d Read as wanting to move the existing backup set from the existing nas to the new nas, apologies if I was incorrect.