closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 16700 Valuation

Craftsman

16700 Valuation

Hey guys,

A chap I used to work for has a 16700 he's looking to sell, he's got some offers from jewellers but I don't feel like they are giving him a particularly good price. I'm not overly knowledgeable on Rolex, especially when it comes to people talking about bracelet codes, end links etc. It's essentially a 1996 (T serial) 16700 on the Jubilee bracelet, it's been serviced twice via RSC and he has said to me that the hands, dial, bracelet are all original and on the last service he instructed them to not touch it as far as refinishing goes. It has a service bezel but does come with the original faded one too. It has the full box and papers, receipts, swing tag, spare links.

I couldn't find anywhere if this was against the rules or anything, this isn't intended to be a stealth sales post but I understand if it's seen like that and apologise in advance!

Thanks for any help

Elliott

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ejtrent View Post
    Hey guys,

A chap I used to work for has a 16700 he's looking to sell, he's got some offers from jewellers but I don't feel like they are giving him a particularly good price. I'm not overly knowledgeable on Rolex, especially when it comes to people talking about bracelet codes, end links etc. It's essentially a 1996 (T serial) 16700 on the Jubilee bracelet, it's been serviced twice via RSC and he has said to me that the hands, dial, bracelet are all original and on the last service he instructed them to not touch it as far as refinishing goes. It has a service bezel but does come with the original faded one too. It has the full box and papers, receipts, swing tag, spare links.

I couldn't find anywhere if this was against the rules or anything, this isn't intended to be a stealth sales post but I understand if it's seen like that and apologise in advance!

Thanks for any help

Elliott
    I would have thought about 8K
    (Trade value)
    Last edited by Hood; 19th October 2019 at 07:21.

Craftsman
    Yeah a good 8k

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Trades at just over £8k, retails another £1.5k+ or so.

Master

16700 Valuation

There’s a few of them, full set, from watch dealers for 8-9k...hence dealers will pay 7k, fair price private trade would be 7.5-8k

Last edited by ac11111; 20th October 2019 at 16:58.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    ^^^nah, too cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    ^^^nah, too cheap.
    Marginally, but the OP relates to one on a w@nky Jubilee bracelet.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    ^^^nah, too cheap.
    Ok, there are 22 16700s on chrono24 with box and papers between 8-9k which suggest otherwise, but nah you are probably right

Craftsman
    Trades at just over £8k, retails another £1.5k+ or so.
    I think you're spot on with that....... the cheapest, In the uk, on chrono24 is £9.5k

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the input, I guess it depends if you trust Chrono 24 overseas sellers as opposed to a face to face deal, appreciate the range of numbers though, thanks!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ejtrent View Post
    Thanks for all the input, I guess it depends if you trust Chrono 24 overseas sellers as opposed to a face to face deal, appreciate the range of numbers though, thanks!
    What was he offered?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Ok, there are 22 16700s on chrono24 with box and papers between 8-9k which suggest otherwise, but nah you are probably right
    Nah. Similar watch just sold to the trade for £8k. Time to recalibrate my friend.

Master

16700 Valuation

Nah. Similar watch just sold to the trade for £8k. Time to recalibrate my friend.
    My friend, I was offered a unpolished box and papers for 7.8k on tz U.K. whilst a loose watch I was offered at 6.5k. Perhaps your valuation needs recalibration, my friend

And we all know the 16700 was just a cheaper inferior version of 16710, given both were in production and sale at the same time.
    Last edited by ac11111; 30th October 2019 at 23:38.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My friend, I was offered a unpolished box and papers for 7.8k on tz U.K. whilst a loose watch I was offered at 6.5k. Perhaps your valuation needs recalibration, my friend
    Based on those figures, then no. You were offered, but I guess you have no watch. I just sold at £8k. Fact, my friend.
    PS A strange edit to criticise a watch you are trying to buy. Curious behaviour.
    Last edited by Skyman; 30th October 2019 at 23:47.

Master
    Based on those figures, then no. You were offered, but I guess you have no watch. I just sold at £8k. Fact, my friend.
    PS A strange edit to criticise a watch you are trying to buy. Curious behaviour.
    I think trolling is also a social disease, or perhaps you had a couple beers this evening?

Master

And we all know the 16700 was just a cheaper inferior version of 16710, given both were in production and sale at the same time.
    If someone has an all original unpolished B&P 16700 at that could you PM the details please as I'll take it.

Master

16700 Valuation

And you have just reconfirmed that my valuation of £8k is about right, I don’t really understand what point you are arguing, I was a couple of hundred quids below your valuation? No need to get so hot and bothered about that...

PS, I have a WTB for ANY Rolex GMT Master I or II, I’m just pointing out that the 16700 is my least preferred, but it is still a nice watch. I am able to buy a watch and criticise it, as there isn’t a perfect watch. Just because I didn’t make an offer for your reply on WTB, you got irritated? You didn’t exactly sell it on the reply on the thread of the my WTB “it’s not going to be cheap”, i thought that meant you wanted silly money. I don’t expect it to be cheap and you wouldn’t sell it on the cheap either, but you didn’t bother to private message me with your actual asking price, if you said £8k I maybhave been interested. In fact I had made an offer of £8.5k for a Elliot friend’s watch because it was really nice and had the jubilee bracelet which I prefer) Elliot’s seller had a change of heart and was not selling at any price, your one seemed fairly equivalent but no, you decided to lob it to the trade for £8k and revive this thread for some reason?!

Last edited by ac11111; 31st October 2019 at 00:47.

Blog Entries
    Another that's gone to trade and not sold here, WTH

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Another that's gone to trade and not sold here, WTH
    It was for sale on here.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    It was for sale on here.
    It was, but pulled.

No, sale called off. What was I thinking? Thankfully, the buyer was understanding. And thanks to those who talked me out of it.
    And

NOT SOLD AT ALL: Rolex 16700 full set
    It was also being offered for £9k here, but sold for £8k. I'm sure there would have been a fair few, including me, who would have paid that for it and kept it on the forum.

Master

The fact that it was cheaper doesn’t mean it was inferior. And it is a naive way to see it.
    A lot of people considered the manual wind 6263s inferior when compared to automatic Rolexes....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    The fact that it was cheaper doesn’t mean it was inferior. And it is a naive way to see it.
    A lot of people considered the manual wind 6263s inferior when compared to automatic Rolexes....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    More of a heat of the moment response to skyman...

16700 is a fine watch

Master
    I

It was also being offered for £9k here, but sold for £8k. I'm sure there would have been a fair few, including me, who would have paid that for it and kept it on the forum.
    Since Skyman’s sold it I don’t think it was the one you are after as the hands were quite a markedly different shade to the indices (lovely watch though)however at a good price you could have sourced Trit hands but there is the hassle factor of that.

Master
    More of a heat of the moment response to skyman...

16700 is a fine watch
    Since you had the 16750 you would appreciate the convenience of the quickset date which the 16710 doesn’t have but 16700 does.
    If it’s not an everyday watch my preference is the 16700 but either or really.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Since Skyman’s sold it I don’t think it was the one you are after as the hands were quite a markedly different shade to the indices (lovely watch though)however at a good price you could have sourced Trit hands but there is the hassle factor of that.

Yup hadn't noticed that, fair point thanks Hood

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Just to clarify. Sold to a mate in the trade, who is also a TZ’er.

Grand Master
    I was offered this 1999 GMT Master today,offered at £9500!,but open to offers.

And Just found this post after trying to get more info about the GMT 16700 and where it came in the sequence of the Rolex GMTs plus prices,which Im now aware off.

It has a Rolex box,whether the correct box I dont know,but does have the papers,My feeling is its sitting at the very top table re its price?,the seller did say make an offer,now during my search,it seems I had one back in 2015 and sold it for 3k!,maybe should have kept it....oh well I didnt.
    So Im asking those knowledgable in all GMTs,what would be a fair offer,Ive yet to see the watch in the metal,but have seen pics and chatted with the owner,its a nice un.

Thanks for any opinions....
    Last edited by P9CLY; 24th June 2020 at 00:29.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post

And Just found this post after trying to get more info about the GMT 16700 and where it came in the sequence of the Rolex GMTs plus prices,which Im now aware off.

It has a Rolex box,whether the correct box I dont know,but does have the papers,My feeling is its sitting at the very top table re its price?,the seller did say make an offer,now during my search,it seems I had one back in 2015 and sold it for 3k!,maybe should have kept it....oh well I didnt.
    So Im asking those knowledgable in all GMTs,what would be a fair offer,Ive yet to see the watch in the metal,but have seen pics and chatted with the owner,its a nice un.

Thanks for any opinions....
    won't buy that one dink on bezel at 14 the shoulders look worn over the years Lost the lapping

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    won't buy that one dink on bezel at 14 the shoulders look worn over the years Lost the lapping

I dont see the ding you mention!,And wouldn't or shouldn't we expect a 21 year old watch to show its 21 years of wear.....and so shoulders would be worn by default...
    A watch this old can't remain new!,do some expect that to be so,look at some of the vintage Subs,people go crazy over the so called "patina!".

I know Im a lot less critical when it comes to "used" watches,I expect and understand the previous owners may have added some "patina" to try increase the watches value!.

Ill go and compare like for like GMTs of the same age for comparison now.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 24th June 2020 at 09:35.

Madness how much they are now.

I struggled to get £2300 in late 2013 for my 1998 model. The only company who made a offer were WF everywhere else refused!

I dont see the ding you mention!,And wouldn't or shouldn't we expect a 21 year old watch to show its 21 years of wear.....and so shoulders would be worn by default...
    A watch this old can't remain new!,do some expect that to be so,look at some of the vintage Subs,people go crazy over the so called "patina!".

I know Im a lot less critical when it comes to "used" watches,I expect and understand the previous owners may have added some "patina" to try increase the watches value!.

yes I agree but not the best one for the price in my opinion. Vintage subs not really the same as theses not vintage the 16700 another 20 stretch they will

Blog Entries

I think what's being suggested is at that top end price you'd really expect top end condition, and this doesn't look to match that criteria,

Grand Master
    I think what's being suggested is at that top end price you'd really expect top end condition, and this doesn't look to match that criteria,
    I agree were I paying his asking price,but he is open to offers,Ive offered £7000,he said hed go to £7500,so at that its now somewhere closer to what Id expect to be paying.

And because of the post Ive now been shown another 16700 variant for consideration.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 24th June 2020 at 12:17.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    so NER.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    so NER.
    so NAY......But there is LATEOTT possibly.

Lifes not about rushing,just left a good freind at the crematorium yesterday so its not the be all and end all in my life right now thankfully.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 24th June 2020 at 18:48.

The 16700 is an underrated model in my opinion and I find the quickset date more useful than the extra timezone of the 16710 and the printing on the dial looks better to me too.

Pricing for these seems quite varied as does the condition of the watches on offer. It's hard to say from one pic but I don't think I'd be rushing to pick this up at £9500 or £7500 - even at the lower of those two price points there are better examples available.

Like you say, no rush - take your time and find a good one at the right price point too.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
    The 16700 is an underrated model in my opinion and I find the quickset date more useful than the extra timezone of the 16710 and the printing on the dial looks better to me too.

Pricing for these seems quite varied as does the condition of the watches on offer. It's hard to say from one pic but I don't think I'd be rushing to pick this up at £9500 or £7500 - even at the lower of those two price points there are better examples available.

Like you say, no rush - take your time and find a good one at the right price point too.
    100% agree,and once you contribute to a topic it brings out the offers,so good in that respect with all the choice.

Good luck with the search, I'm sure you'll find a good one - keep us posted on how you get on.

Err? It rarer, was produced for less time, it’s the last of the real Pepsi (most GMT 2 were cokes), they don’t have the overly complicated GMT mechanism.

I have both and the 16700 is a better more useable watch in my humble opinion.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master

16700 Valuation

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Err? It rarer, was produced for less time, it’s the last of the real Pepsi (most GMT 2 were cokes), they don’t have the overly complicated GMT mechanism.

I have both and the 16700 is a better more useable watch in my humble opinion.
    Gmt 2 has independent hour hand which means no need to hack seconds when travelling between different time zones, so can argue as a travel watch it is better.

Not sure about rarity, both have plentiful supply preowned, don’t think any colour or model is that rare.

Gmt 2 has independent hour hand which means no need to hack seconds when travelling between different time zones, so can argue as a travel watch it is better.

Not sure about rarity, both have plentiful supply preowned, don’t think any colour or model is that rare.
    I know, but setting it is a faff. Turning a bezel is much easier. The GMT 2 doesn’t work in India either because it’s GMT +5.30 hours.

Regarding rarity the 16700 was made in few numbers and for a shorter period. Production Of the 16700 ended in 1999 and the 16710 in 2007! It wasn’t very popular with new buyers because the price difference wasn’t that great, which is why Rolex dropped it earlier than the 16710.

The reason for the bezel difference was because they were different models. Pepsi because it had the same functionality as the 16750/1675 and coke on 16710 because it had the same functionality as the 16760. Just check the Rolex Sales Catalogues. Yes I accept you can find Pepsi inserts on 16760/16710, but these might have been special order or later replacements - because Pepsi is nicer (hence the re-release).

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I know, but setting it is a faff. Turning a bezel is much easier. The GMT 2 doesn’t work in India either because it’s GMT +5.30 hours.

Regarding rarity the 16700 was made in few numbers and for a shorter period. Production Of the 16700 ended in 1999 and the 16710 in 2007! It wasn’t very popular with new buyers because the price difference wasn’t that great, which is why Rolex dropped it earlier than the 16710.

The reason for the bezel difference was because they were different models. Pepsi because it had the same functionality as the 16750/1675 and coke on 16710 because it had the same functionality as the 16760. Just check the Rolex Sales Catalogues. Yes I accept you can find Pepsi inserts on 16760/16710, but these might have been special order or later replacements - because Pepsi is nicer (hence the re-release).
    Can also turn the bezel on the gmt master ii, the difference is quick hour hand adjust vs quick set date, additional coke bezel option, same case, same dial, same bracelet.

Gmt 2 gives the options of tracking another timezone without turning the bezel where as gmt 1 is quick set date so more convenient for those that rotate watches. At end of the day it’s preferences, statistically 16700 you are right, fewer of them around so I guess it makes it them a bit more rare. Prices on these seem about the same.

Blog Entries
    Can also turn the bezel on the gmt master ii, the difference is quick hour hand adjust vs quick set date, additional coke bezel option, same case, same dial, same bracelet.

Gmt 2 gives the options of tracking another timezone without turning the bezel where as gmt 1 is quick set date so more convenient for those that rotate watches. At end of the day it’s preferences, statistically 16700 you are right, fewer of them around so I guess it makes it them a bit more rare. Prices on these seem about the same.
    Everything you mention is the reason the 16700 was discontinued, its just an inferior watch that cost less and was in less demand. If people want to add the rarity tag to try to justify it then so be it. Not one that appeals to me but everyone is different, thankfully.

Craftsman
    Imo both 16700 and the 16710 are great .

I think with five-digit GMTs it is a more of question of tritium vs luminova, SEL vs non-sel, pepsi vs coke, jubilee vs oyster and thickness.

Craftsman
    Everything you mention is the reason the 16700 was discontinued, its just an inferior watch that cost less and was in less demand. If people want to add the rarity tag to try to justify it then so be it. Not one that appeals to me but everyone is different, thankfully.
    I think it’s quite difficult to make such a strong assertion as it is inferior. Having had both my preference has always leant towards the 16700, primarily as I find it easier to use - setting the GMT via the bezel and the quick set date are actual benefits for me despite the technological innovations of the 16710. In the long term I also see the 16700 as being the more collectible, with a far shorter production run and being the last incarnation baring the dna of the original 6542. At the moment they’re floating around the same price point but I not sure that will last.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stelmo01 View Post
    I think it’s quite difficult to make such a strong assertion as it is inferior. Having had both my preference has always leant towards the 16700, primarily as I find it easier to use - setting the GMT via the bezel and the quick set date are actual benefits for me despite the technological innovations of the 16710. In the long term I also see the 16700 as being the more collectible, with a far shorter production run and being the last incarnation baring the dna of the original 6542. At the moment they’re floating around the same price point but I not sure that will last.

I don’t think anybody has missed a trick with these, but who knows.

Grand Master

All what youve said is exactly what I was thinking,hence my post to guage feelings etc etc,I had the 16700 back in 2015 and sold it for 3k,and coincidentally to the dealer I just bought the one off below today.
    Every reply is simply an opinion,no one can possibly know where prices will ever be,or which will be the most popular,I bet I can comfortably say that like myself its more about the look than function and actual use,lets face it wouldn't most of us know if we were in whatever country you'd know the time elsewhere without having an extra hand on a watch to tell you,your mobile phone will shout it out to you without turning the light on.......I did say most,not everyone mind.

So I decided on a few things that usually do have some imfluence on pricing and collectabilty,but we cant ever say for certain,so the one below was the last of the GMT Master with the Swiss only dial,and produced for a short period.I was offered an equally as nice 16700 with a tritium dial,and if I could sell my Speedy/SMP and 2254 Id buy that too,and told him so.

So a one previous owner full set 16700......Bought this morning,my mate bought a JLC whilst we were there ,so two happy chaps.

upload file image

Craftsman
    Congrats on the purchase P9CLY!

Grand Master
    Congrats on the purchase P9CLY!

Thanks it is a nice watch,and it will be on my wrists for a good many days.

Thanks it is a nice watch,and it will be on my wrists for a good many days.
    Excellent choice. I got a one previous owner 16700 Pepsi (on an Oyster) which has been serviced a couple of years earlier by RSA and never worn. The fact that it was from a good friend of mine was a big of a bonus.

it made a perfect addition to my 16753, 16750 and my two 16550 😀 I do like my GMTs.

Friedrich Nietzsche