closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch History: Sweep second hand, James Bond and I now know how little I know.

Master

Watch History: Sweep second hand, James Bond and I now know how little I know.

I'm reading the Bond novels in order. In the first chapter of From Russia With Love Fleming describes a character's watch thus: "It was a Girard-Perragaux model designed for people who like gadgets, and it had a sweep second-hand and two little windows on the face to tell the day of the month, and the month, and the phase of the moon."

It got me thinking; did Fleming think a sweep second hand was a gadget and a bit of a novelty? I had though that a sweep second hand was standard on mechanical watches unlike a quartz, that is a smooth sweeping motion. So I did some searching and found out that a sweep second hand is actually "a second hand on a clock or watch, moving on the same dial as the other hands." and that was the standard meaning before quartz watches came along. I also found out that before the 50's a sweep second hand fairly uncommon on watches and a sub-dial seconds was standard. I'm sure this isn't news to most people on this forum, but it was for me. Probably a demonstration of how little I know about horology.

So this got me thinking about a few other things. Did Fleming imagine Bond's watch to have a sub-dial seconds, at least his earlier watches before he explicitly name the brand as Rolex? Probably a question for the What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear? thread.

So as you started to become interested in the hobby what other interesting things have you discovered about watches and the history of watches especially things you thought you previously knew.

Master
    True, a 'sweep second hand' is often incorrectly thought to describe the smooth-ish motion of an automatic, but actually describes the central position and was originally exotic enough to count as a complication. Interesting that the Bond novels are early enough for a sweep second hand to be worth noting.

It's generally assumed that the literary Bond's watch was a 1016 Explorer, matching Ian Fleming's own:

https://www.watchgecko.com/the-real-james-bond-watches/
    https://www.fratellowatches.com/ian-...g-its-exhibit/

Hodinkee seem to think the GP in question was like this:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/gi...steel-hands-on

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    Hodinkee seem to think the GP in question was like this:
    [/IMG]
    Thanks for sharing that. Interesting to be able to visualise it.

Correct or not, I would suggest that most people, today, would describe a sweep second hand as the central second hand of an automatic watch.

The GP looks lovely
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Thanks. Interesting. I too assumed sweeping seconds was a contrast to quartz tick, not a centre hand. Every day's a school day!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Interesting indeed.

One thing that surprised me, and to be honest had never crossed my mind until I read it, was that men's wristwatches never really took off until well into the 1920's. Even then, I think they were called wristlets, and considered too effeminate for men to wear. This was less so in Europe, but particularly so in the US.

I remember reading some of the old Billy Bunter books, that I think started off around this era, and the boys of the school, mostly had pocket watches. even many years later. The view of the author Mr Richards? Who knows.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    Interesting indeed.

One thing that surprised me, and to be honest had never crossed my mind until I read it, was that men's wristwatches never really took off until well into the 1920's. Even then, I think they were called wristlets, and considered too effeminate for men to wear. This was less so in Europe, but particularly so in the US.

I remember reading some of the old Billy Bunter books, that I think started off around this era, and the boys of the school, mostly had pocket watches. even many years later. The view of the author Mr Richards? Who knows.
    The 'wristlet' part being considered effeminate , I would assume would be adopted as women adorning jewellery on the wrist thus applying the same trail of thought to any man of the time conducting himself in that manner.

My how times have a changed . For the better or worse is debatable. I find this historical titbit highly important in the horological landscape and a landmark point in that change. A pocket watch now is seen as what ? A piece of dress up, an overindulgence? Or firmly a niche corner of the wis hobby collectors domain?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    A pocket watch now is seen as what ? A piece of dress up, an overindulgence? Or firmly a niche corner of the wis hobby collectors domain?
    I'd say pocket watches are now as popular as they were in the 19th century, except today they are called smart phones.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    I'd say pocket watches are now as popular as they were in the 19th century, except today they are called smart phones.
    I agree Simon . Just discussed this very point with another member. Modern day equivalent - without the elegance though.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    that the Bond novels are early enough for a sweep second hand to be worth noting.

It's generally assumed that the literary Bond's watch was a 1016 Explorer, matching
    Thanks for the links. In my own head canon I think I Bond had an earlier watch, maybe one with a sub dial seconds, maybe a Smith's ;)